Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,329 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Sean O'Rourke Radio1 piece on MetEireann forecasting and the centre in Glasnvein
    featuring a number of staff including Evelyn
    cloud watching, warning colour coding, brief history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

When did met Éireann stop doing the lunchtime sea area and national forecast on rte radio one ? And why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's on LW only I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It's on LW only I think.

Does it interrupt Roman collins on longwave ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Mortelaro wrote: »
    When did met Éireann stop doing the lunchtime sea area and national forecast on rte radio one ? And why?

Sometime early last year afaik. I miss it, it was a useful forecast at a good time of day....there as long as I can remember. There wasn't a whimper of objection anywhere though, that I can recall.

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Does it interrupt Roman collins on longwave ?

I assume so, I expect the Cardigan was annoyed that it effectively took out the last 10 minutes of his show (esp as he also has An Nuacht heads to sit through as well at 12.30 doesn't he?) - it was basically 12.50 main forecast, quick dedication, 2 minutes of song at best, ad break and 1 PM.

Just checked no weather on LW either it's just been dropped or (moved to midday?) I don't listen enough to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BlueSkyDay

Johanna just had a great visual of a warm front leading a cold into Scotland on the 9oc news and weather.

Very impressed ,cant link it but it's on the player.

I learned a new bit of info for myself. :)

What the feck? weather as gaeilge at lunchimine!

Thank goodness for the graphics eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Yeah, I thought I was tuned into TG4 for a moment. Strange one alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Comhra wrote: »

It's Seachtain na Gaeilge

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Yeah! I am going to guess that it was pre recorded, and sitting on a hard drive somewhere, and the relevant scheduler picked the wrong file name, or it got named wrong when they recorded it.

Hopefully, they won't be repeating that mistake any time soon.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,329 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Comhra wrote: »
    Unpossible! You'd not notice the actual forecast
    43608334124_6212e5499d_o.jpg

Does anyone else think that your wan (can't recall her name) is a terrible weather forecast presenter? She doesn't seem to have any script or proper structure to her sentences and descriptions of what's to come (or gone on a Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Joanna Donnelly?

You can tell she knows exactly what she's talking about, very informative and educational, which is becoming rarer and rarer with forecasters, however she really does lack the charisma and speaking skills.

Why does ME have such terrible coverage of the South East?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Joanna Donnelly?

You can tell she knows exactly what she's talking about, very informative and educational, which is becoming rarer and rarer with forecasters, however she really does lack the charisma and speaking skills.

Maybe for the well informed but for the basic joe soap she is too technical, likes to hype stuff and All over the place. Take bbc if they techy they then explain how the such a weather even happens and they all use the same maps etc. Here some use outlines some don't and it looks unprofessional.
    Joanne reminds me of Sharon from the news where she is always posing for the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Why does ME have such terrible coverage of the South East?

What do you mean exactly?

Twp main weather stations across the entire region. Johnstown Castle and Oak Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Twp main weather stations across the entire region. Johnstown Castle and Oak Park

I think it was the 50s that ME added to its synoptic network adding to the 2 Airports, Dublin and Shannon, and the coastal stations at Roches Point, Valentia (Caherciveen) Blacksod (moved to Belmullet and Malin Hd; all of which were built by the British with the emphasis on naval support.

Rosslare filled in the gap on the SE coast. Kilkenny (later moved to Oak Park (automated), Birr, Clones and Claremorris being the new inland stations.

If you look at the distribution stations you'll see a fairly even spread across the country though Rosslare has been replaced by a mixture of Johnstown Castle, Tusker Light and the Bouy M5.

Most stations are now automated and additional ones have been built. Check out ME website.

• Advertisement

Look at the climate records page and you only have two to click on. That's what's annoying me. Yet the midlands is festooned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Mav11

Does anyone else think that your wan (can't recall her name) is a terrible weather forecast presenter? She doesn't seem to have any script or proper structure to her sentences and descriptions of what's to come (or gone on a Sunday)

Anybody think that she is getting worse? Can't help groaning when she comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's not easy to present weather I'd say. Anyways what is the site she said at the start?

pauldry wrote: »
    It's not easy to present weather I'd say. Anyways what is the site she said at the start?

https://showyourstripes.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Her delivery is terrible and it hasn't got any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

what is going on with met eireann i went to their website yesterday morning and they showed zero rain all day predicted now at the time it was lashing out and continued to rain for most of the morning in North Dublin

see attached

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is Met Eireann all Ireland now? They have NI/North/Occupied 6... warnings on their website currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Is Met Eireann all Ireland now? They have NI/North/Occupied 6... warnings on their website currently.

Started about a week ago.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-53067728

Five day graphic on lunchtime weather included a moon! :D

• Advertisement

I heard Evelyn on radio recently saying they'd be giving all-Ireland warnings.

Not all-Ireland forecasts though.

Advertisement