Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

• 09-03-2020 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

Haven't seen or heard anything from my club with regards the outbreak.
    Given that golf is a sport where you spend most of the time apart from your playing partners I would guess it would be a low risk (provided you skip the traditional post match handshake and agree to leave the pin in on all holes, etc)
    and so could stay open. People working on the course should in theory be okay as they are outside, I would say that club houses etc would be more complicated

have any of your clubs done anything about it? Thoughts on what they should or shouldn't do?

Do you live within 5km of your golf course? 107 votes

Yes
    75% 81 votes
    No
    24% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Our club has hand sanitiser and dispensers ordered and will be installed around the club house before the weekend. But as you say (outside of the club house) it's probably one of the safer sports from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Club dont need to do anything. The irish weather always arriving on the weekends is covering everything

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Our club has hand sanitiser and dispensers ordered and will be installed around the club house before the weekend. But as you say (outside of the club house) it's probably one of the safer sports from that point of view.

i doubt that. hand sanitiser has been impossible to get for weeks now. unless you have them ordered for weeks?

Seve OB wrote: »
    i doubt that. hand sanitiser has been impossible to get for weeks now. unless you have them ordered for weeks?
    Well I'll call the pro and tell him you said he was lying when he sent out the email saying it was ordered and arriving this week. That should sort him.

I’m wasn’t trying to be smart.
    No need for you to be.

If they do get some I would be interested to know who and where they are getting them because as I say I’ve been trying to get some for the job for a few weeks now and it is proving impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

I’m wasn’t trying to be smart.
    No need for you to be.

If they do get some I would be interested to know who and where they are getting them because as I say I’ve been trying to get some for the job for a few weeks now and it is proving impossible.

Outside the clubhouse Flags are surely the biggest risk? Think I’ll be leaving it in
    End handshake a no obviously
    My golf club will be going under if this hits the over 60s as hard as it’s supposed to

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We have all just agreed to not play in Portmarnock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A long as you throw the flagstick on the green quick enough, you should be fine.

Eek eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

We did elbow knocks at the end of our round on Saturday. There should really be more done considering the age profile of many golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Soap, hot water, paper towels and some common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Our club has banned spitting in the hole.

Is this a thing? :eek:

Is this a thing? :eek:

Sergio is a member there

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

It's funny how all the experts are saying to wash your hands, I would have thought people would do that anyhow..it's after you wash your hands is the problem,what do you do ....put your hand on a filthy door handle....Carbolic soap is your only man and vinyl gloves after to open the door and bin them outside..a bit off topic I know but that's my tuppence worth

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Some kinky stuff going on in your place Billy?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

This is going to put a few clubs under if it gets worse I fear, between loss of revenue when Americans stop travelling to main membership demographics for many clubs being the main at risk cohort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

You'd hope financial ins, creditors etc will be obliged to give debtors some kind of amnesty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

willabur wrote: »
    You'd hope financial ins, creditors etc will be obliged to give debtors some kind of amnesty

It benefits no one a course closing I reckon it will have very little effect in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Worried about holding a flag has got to be hysterical level ?

On yanks not coming and paying 200/300 for a game , I'm sure the clubs at that level could cope for a single season. .

They could hold a few opens at maybe 100 , for GUI members ;)

Worried about holding a flag has got to be hysterical level ?

I was wondering about this myself and was thinking it might need to be transferred on a living body and might not survive on synthetic surfaces so I looked it up.

Firstly my understanding is that there are 2 forces at play. SARS-CoV-2 is the proper name of the virus, which can lead to the disease COVID-19. So maybe it is possible to pick up the virus, but not the disease. Someone else might know more about this?

So SARS-CoV-2 can actually live on surfaces (such as flagsticks), below quote from WHO.
    Even though the new coronavirus can stay on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days (depending on the type of surface), it is very unlikely that the virus will persist on a surface after being moved, travelled, and exposed to different conditions and temperatures. If you think a surface may be contaminated, use a disinfectant to clean it. After touching it, clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
    By washing your hands you eliminate viruses that may be on your hands and avoid infection that could occur by then touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.

Now this is where the scientists will educate us. I'm not sure if this means that if you get the virus on your hands you can kill it by washing it off quickly enough before you get the disease COVID-19.

And most of us wear gloves playing golf and we don't wash them!!!!

• Advertisement

Now this is where the scientists will educate us. I'm not sure if this means that if you get the virus on your hands you can kill it by washing it off quickly enough before you get the disease COVID-19.

And most of us wear gloves playing golf and we don't wash them!!!!
    What it means is that you are at risk of getting the virus if you get it on your hands and then touch your face (eyes, nose, mouth). On your skin, it is not going to infect you (unless you have an open wound that comes in contact with it). So washing your hands regularly and avoiding touching your face as much as possible is the best way of avoiding infection. And you must wash with hot water. Cold water is not as effective.

Edt: Some more info I've read lately. Virus can live up to three days on certain surfaces like stainless steel and plastics. The interesting thing is that the best method for breaking it down is with soap (and water obviously). Soap is even better than alcohol in this regard as it actually breaks up the building blocks of viruses more efficiently. What I said above about hot water is not necessary, just that you work the soap in everywhere (hence the 20 second wash) and then wash it off. Same for surfaces. Use a soapy cleaner. Disinfectants are not much use at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Basketball Ireland have suspended all matches until further notice. Obviously a more personal contact sport than golf, but considering the age demographic that play golf, you would wonder will the GUI/ILGU do something similar?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can't see them closing any courses, but i suspect they'll issue guidelines to not shake hands at the end of the round, ensure personal hygiene etc...

It'll probably have an impact though, if only because people may not want to stick around in the clubhouse afterwards.

HighLine wrote: »
    Basketball Ireland have suspended all matches until further notice. Obviously a more personal contact sport than golf, but considering the age demographic that play golf, you would wonder will the GUI/ILGU do something similar?
    It's pretty much one of the few sports where transmission is least likely (outside the clubhouse - and that's very controllable). You'd be more at risk going to the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's pretty much one of the few sports where transmission is least likely (outside the clubhouse - and that's very controllable). You'd be more at risk going to the supermarket.

And the way me and my mates play we're never gonna be within 2 mtrs of each other apart from when the four of us are on the tee box!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm taking precautions where I can anyway. You can't avoid being near people on the green / tee boxes, but I can avoid fairways so that's what I'll do.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And the way me and my mates play we're never gonna be within 2 mtrs of each other apart from when the four of us are on the tee box!!
    The only other area of concern that people may not have thought of is how to handle cards. Obviously the comp sec should handle them with disposable gloves, but the rest of us should just ensure we wash our hands thoroughly with soap and water after signing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

With this new US/EU travel ban I’m hoping there are no implications for Ryder Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

There is an inevitability about where we are heading. Our figures will rise considerably over the next week and with that will come quite dramatic lifestyle changes. We all have to take personal responsibility for our actions and ensure we try to avoid a repeat of the situation in Italy.
    We will look back at this years Cheltenham festival as a wanton act of recklessness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Our club have sent out a mail to say that The Captains Drive in is cancelled so as to stop Mass gatherings in convinced spaces, A ceremonial drive in will take place later in the year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement