Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards GS - Royal Curragh - 28th March 2020 - CANCELLED

• 28-02-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭

Round 1 down, and round 2 will sneak up on us quick enough.

We're moving a bit further inland, but taking in another course variant that this amazing country of ours provides, a heathland course.

And arguably, THE heathland course of Ireland, as it is Irelands oldest Golf Club, Royal Curragh (http://royalcurraghgolf.ie/)

I'll let our resident expert Kevin Markham's words say more than I can about the course:
    There is much to admire about Ireland's oldest golf course. Those crumpled fairways, those short, sharp hills and that blazing gorse give the place a unique feel.

And then there are the sheep. They are no longer free to roam this 'common land', but they are ever-present in corrals alongside holes. And at 5.30pm on the dot, a local farmer took his herd along the road that divides the course, heading for the open, common spaces that exist beyond the course's borders. Cars were stuck in line as he and his dog herded them along, going at his own sweet pace. It was a wonderful sight.

I've also robbed one of his photos, which takes in some of that Heathland (full set here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/72157644200267975/):
    13961594994_06e35fbc7a_b.jpg

FYI to all, the timesheet will be posted in this thread, so can people please keep an eye on things for updates as we get closer to the event.

Just to also confirm, we have slots for 30 golfers on this one, so get your acceptance in asap. I'm not sure if we'll have scope to increase those numbers, but the earlier we have numbers the earlier I can try look for more slots (if needed). There are 21 accepted on Teamer at the time of this posting.

There was lots of great feedback from everyone on the pace of play in Portmarnock, so if we can all aim to have the same attitude going forwards hopefully we can keep things moving as well as possible.

The green fee on the day will be €35

Finally, can everyone also please note that the March outing is not taking place on the 3rd weekend of the month.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ah the 12th hole. Of all the holes you could have shown, it had to be that one. For 2 years, i couldn't score on it. Nothing too difficult about it, but i always ended up in the gorse on the left when approaching the green. Didn't matter if i went for the green with a long iron, or laid up with a 9 iron. Still always went in :pac:

As a member up till Jan this year, i really enjoy the Curragh. Nothing too difficult about it, but some really nice holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

We're at 31 accepted now folks. There are still 38 non-responses on Teamer.

Can I ask that people either accept or decline rather than leave it as a non-response. If there are enough extra accepts to justify it, I can try negotiate some extra slots

Also, if anyone has a tee time preference can they post it here & I'll do my best to accommodate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Won't make this one unfortunately but a great course so enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Confirmed, but venue a wise choice? Sheep on course + cork lads :D

0f00a79ecba6fb88fe50ff8e6dafd229.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Sheep are now fenced out so no pooh, this is a smashing course there is a practice area where you can hit range balls and 2 nice chipping greens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Break80

RoadRunner wrote: »

LANGER

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Break80 wrote: »
    LANGER

Will I bring the wellies

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Love this course.
    Raging I’m gonna miss it........ or am I? Bloody corona virus will probably have me grounded before we even get going......if it does..... I’m in:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Loving the date move.....I am in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Snackbox20

Still buzzing after Portmarnock and really looking forward to this outing. Again a brand new course to me, never played it but the photos look really cool.
    Accepted on teamer too, no preference on tee times.

• Advertisement

At 37 accepted currently. We have provisional space for 30. Will get on to Curragh tomorrow & see what capacity they have to give us a couple of extra slots.

As per last time in Portmarnock, can people give as much notice as possible for any changes in circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭a post punk

RoadRunner wrote: »

Thanks roadrunner:)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Sorry, I won't be able to make it because I am travelling that weekend, enjoy! Will respond now on teamer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭benny79

Rumour has it the Cork lads are supplying wellies!!

Have a quick update all.

We're at 39 accepted on Teamer now for the day. I've been on to The Curragh today & have managed to reserve slots for a max of 42. So as of now, everyone that has accepted is in & able to play.

If you're on the sidelines & hadn't accepted as you thought that the timesheet is full, can you confirm asap & accept on Teamer.

I'll need to confirm the final numbers a week or so out from the event.

Thanks for keeping up the enthusiasm all, its great to see the numbers staying high for the 2nd event.

As per previous event, timesheet will be published about a week ahead of the event, so please, if you have any time priority, can you me know either on here, or directly asap so I can try to accommodate everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Break80

i will take an early slot please Captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Break80 wrote: »
    i will take an early slot please Captain.

me too please , have an event late afternoon in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rossyd2005

If possible can i have an early spot too, thanks.
    Looking forward to it:)

rossyd2005 wrote: »
    If possible can i have an early spot too, thanks.
    Looking forward to it:)

Are you travelling with Pakman, do I need to keep the 2 of ye close in terms of slots?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭benny79

Can you stick us out in the second half Space.. If you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Are you travelling with Pakman, do I need to keep the 2 of ye close in terms of slots?

If you can that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

An early one for me would great also @Captain

jaysus the way things are going I might be looking for a slot myself :(

Seve OB wrote: »
    jaysus the way things are going I might be looking for a slot myself :(

I hope not, for your sake Seve, but we'll always have a slot ready for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

I will take a late spot if that's okay Captain...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Just accepted in Teamer if there is a spot, saw I was n 41 I think. Just cancelled my trip

jarrieta wrote: »
    Just accepted in Teamer if there is a spot, saw I was n 41 I think. Just cancelled my trip

Yes we have room for 42 Jarrieta, so you're good to go.

Yes we have room for 42 Jarrieta, so you're good to go.

right
    think you better make me a provisional no. 42 :(
    really hoping it is not the case, but travel is unlikely

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

jarrieta wrote: »
    Seve OB wrote: »
    right
    think you better make me a provisional no. 42 :(
    really hoping it is not the case, but travel is unlikely

Ah ****, I had my Paddy's Day weekend away cancelled but then again it was to go to Rome!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

With no golf on tv will ye allow spectators..... I must have it bad to watch ye hacks lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement