Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is There Anybody Out There ....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

That took longer than expected. Did the turtle while I was about it :o

I wonder if this password Is the root one? Wouldn't ye have told me to put that in the first time?

But, then; I've Reloaded the whole thing since! Aha! So, that's probably an Original installs root ;) God, I'm getting sharp, aren't I? :D

" There is no reason at all to reinstall because you seem to have problems with passwords. "

Love the sound of That!!! Now, I'll have to reread what ye've been saying. Try to remind myself how I get past that doctors receptionist and to the little green shield. Once there, I have it all written down what to do. I even clicked my way through it.

Okay, John. There's nothing I can see, in the above, apart from shutting this down. Cracking the main system, and trying to figure out what it wants me to say.

I genuinely believe that password will be from the First install. (Strangest thing; I know we weren't on the phone when I first logged in on the machine. But, I have this dim 'memory' of you, at my shoulder and telling me what do do :confused: Maybe we were on line, and I was reading this place from my phone? Spooky as all hell though! :D

Okay. Ye don't appear to be here, at the moment. I have an hour to kill. So, I'm shutting down this stick version and booting back into the doctors reception. Try another battle with the harridan behind the desk! :cool:

I'm not holding out a lot of hope, John. Just working my way though the ideas.

On phone. Machine version open in front of me.

Top of box left? Says, " me" and below is "Me". Obviously the names I gave to my account.

Tried both, followed by that password.

Just tried both, followed by return. Nope.

What now, please? I'll leave it open on my screen and shall look go ye here.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Stigura wrote: »
    On phone. Machine version open in front of me.

Top of box left? Says, " me" and below is "Me". Obviously the names I gave to my account.

Tried both, followed by that password.

Just tried both, followed by return. Nope.

What now, please? I'll leave it open on my screen and shall look go ye here.

Thanks.

The prompt changes from USER to Password after you have entered the user name?
    When the prompt says Password try first just clicking on the user name up top with the mouse
    If nothing then when password being asked for try Enter key on its own

If you cannot enter your user account then in USER put root and press Enter
    and in Password put whatever you used for your admin password.

WT.....?! OK. That worked. But...

My WiFi. is already connected. But I have no sound devices whatsoever!

" no output or input devices found ``

• Advertisement

Why did I sit and pick that out, on my phone; When I was sitting here with bloody yew chube playing, albeit silently, on my screen?! :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes, John. Fed the name as 'root'. Hit return, and it took me to the main, functioning page. Where, as I say, I find it's remembered my wi fi log in code. But, it's completely lost anything to do with sound :confused:

Why did I sit and pick that out, on my phone; When I was sitting here with bloody yew chube playing, albeit silently, on my screen?! :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes, John. Fed the name as 'root'. Hit return, and it took me to the main, functioning page. Where, as I say, I find it's remembered my wi fi log in code. But, it's completely lost anything to do with sound :confused:

If you logged in as root then that is where you repair your password for your user.
    root has admin privileges.

You do not ever use the root account for ordinary user stuff.

You there now?

:eek: Posting from there, and reading google! Oh, god! What have I done now?!

Go to menu - More Applications and select Konsole

That will provide a terminal window.

In there you will type two simple commands and after that log out and into your user account with no password required.

The commands:

su
    (enter the root password if you have one - it will not show for security reasons so you type blind)

passwd -d <put your user name here>

log out and go into your user account - no password

Did that. Had no passwords to offer.

Now back at square one and it's not having any of it.

Back on the phone.

• Advertisement

Did that. Had no passwords to offer.

Now back at square one and it's not having any of it.

Back on the phone.

I have no idea where square one is.

Please say exactly what happened.

You F***ing Beauty!!!!! :D:D:D We've bloody cracked it!!! :D

I was sat, glaring at that Bloody log in box (Square one) when I remembered ye Green Shield instructions? Daring Stigura figured it was death or glory! :cool:

Fed that sucker " root " again. Went Straight for the little green shield. Hit 'Configure yo schit', 'Boot' etc.

Rebooted? And I'm in a Linux I barely remember I had! All my book marks and Everything are still here! Even stuff I forgot putting in Dolphin! :D

And, my user name is " me ". Lower case! Saw that inside the shield thing ;)

Keyboard's gone to cock, again. But, that's well on the way to getting fixed :)

As my dinner must be, now, John. Never ate a thing, yesterday. Too wrapped up in trying to sort this. So, now? DINNER!!! :D

Shed ton of Thanks!, as ever! Let's ffs call it a night now. I'll fiddle with the keyboard thing tomorrow. Your patience has, as ever, been exemplary. Thankyou! Now, let's both have a bloody well earned rest! And hope to god, when I switch on tomorrow ..... :pac:

Some information required for clarification in case of any future 'events' .....

your user account name is me (both lower case)
    do you have a password for this now or log in without one?

do you have a password for the root (admin) account or log in without one?

I don't need to know the passwords, just whether they exist or not.
    If you have passwords then please take careful note of them and to which account they belong.

Only Linux password I have in the world is the one, I'm pretty sure, I set up on the initial machine load. Before I reloaded over that one.

So, effectively? No. No passwords.

Logging on, tomorrow, will be a nail biter!

Only Linux password I have in the world is the one, I'm pretty sure, I set up on the initial machine load. Before I reloaded over that one.

Whatever password you set up for root on the first install was overwritten by the second install.
    So, effectively? No. No passwords.

Logging on, tomorrow, will be a nail biter!

I am unclear .......
    when you logged on as 'root' user, and again after you entered the su command in the terminal, did you enter a password or just press enter not having entered any password?

Oh I forgot to comment on your finding all your previous install settings intact ....... that was likely because the user settings are separated from the OS itself and probably by default are not overwritten with a reinstall. That seems the most likely event.
    That raises the question of whether you have the right to access and the ownership of, those user files.
    Hopefully it has worked out that you have.
    If not it can be fixed because you can gain admin privileges to do so.

What in blazes are ye doing up, John?! Much less bothering ye head with This! :eek:

I've just read a book - on here. On Kindle! Then chatted away, on my phone, to my friend in NZ :DThat's what people do, after a day of mind bending hell on earth. Very shortly, I'll crawl into the Dog Pile and shall sleep the sleep of a man satisfied.

What did I do? Every damn thing. Upper case. Lower case. User this. Pass that. Nothing was happening. Then, it did. And ye screamed at me to get the hell out of Dodge, because No One goes in there, messing about on line.

So, I got out. Probably rebooted, back to the doctors receptionist, demanding my bits. (Can't honestly remember now) But, I somehow made the things reappear. Little green shield?

And I remembered ye saying what to do. And did it. This:

Bottom left of tray

Select icon for 'Configure your computer'
    Select 'Boot' in left pane
    Select 'Set up autologin ...' in right pane

Tick .... 'Yes I want autologin ....' and leave others unchanged

Select 'OK' at bottom right.
    Close out that app.

That should do it.

Seems it did it! :D Now, I just have to pray it works, again, 'tomorrow'.

But, have I not set it up to wave me though? No demanding User Names and Passwords :confused: Bloody hope so. Or tomorrow could be 'Fun'! :pac:

:D

you seem happy :D

Swinging in a warm breeze! :D

OK, you have been at it for a few hours now, so what have you broken?

:D

• Advertisement

Sorted my keyboard ~ thanks to the other place: #@" :p Now, sitting here reading a book, on Kindle. Sipping a quiet beer. The most relaxed I can remember feeling in a bloody long time! :D

I'll try to come up with some grievance next week, John ;)

OK mate.
    Have fun!
    :D:D

What ye reckon?

I have the new, Springsteen, album on my shelf here. Got it for my birthday. End of the year. Never bloody heard it yet! My machine has no D Drive!

Upper end of the cheap and cheerful price range. Specifically states it's good with Linux. I'd been thinking of an HDD, for storing KDE on. But, that's now part of my machine.

With this? I could hear my album. Watch the odd film. Burn schit to 'CD' type discs. I'm thinking: Failure of one of a few copies, on cheap discs. Vs failure of Any copy, in the corner of a Not so cheap stick

Dunno. Hearing the album would be great. Watching stuff like " The Kingdom ", again, is always an option! And then I could even have my mate, the butcher, vacuum seal the bunches of discs in plastic bags. Keep back ups in the stable.

Let me make this easier all round: See any reason Not to? :D

If you need a CD/DVD burner then almost any modern external device will do fine. So no problem noticed with that one.

I no longer use optical media. I too have an external burner and it might, just might, get used once per year.

The most useful feature of such a device, for me, is to rip audio CDs to flac files for storage on a HDD or flash stick.
    After that I can do what I wish with the files.

Of course a lot of the time I don't even have to do that, as what is available on line is good enough.
    For instance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCs8U5wwPJ8&list=PLgaFNC_I_Zkl8-i8LlshlDggge3sejrXM&index=1
    that should provide your preferred listening.
    It is a simple matter ..... using youtube-dl or youtube-dl-gui ..... to extract the audio from those videos - like this
    youtube-dl -x https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCs8U5wwPJ8&list=PLgaFNC_I_Zkl8-i8LlshlDggge3sejrXM&index=1

If you run that in a Konsole it will save the audio in .opus format which you can easily play on the PC, or convert to another format if you wish.

Lots of choices as you go forward ;)

Ain't listening on the chube, John! :P It's a thing, with me. My bro' sends me the latest album(s) each birthday. CD's. Something I'm accustomed to. That I can have and hold.

And, when they find me, stinking worse than usual? They can say, " Jesus wept! Look at the schit in here! ..... Christ! Liked 'The Boss', didn't he?! " :D

In all honesty? I've had that many, older, albums which I used to have on vinyl. Found them on line. Down loaded them to something electriccy. God knows where they are now. Some HDD graveyard. I'd sooner burn, off the chube, onto a CD. Then, it'll always be on the shelf.

Anyway; Bought the EDD, today. Not so much for burning much. More that, as I say, this little machine has no disc drive. Now, I can watch my favourite films again, and listen to my CD's :)

But, enough of that .....

John; My clock ~ bottom right? It says " 8:43PM Mon 3/9/20 " That's fair enough. But, I'd so much prefer " 8:43 Mon 9 Mar 20 " or similar.

Any fixes, please?

John; My clock ~ bottom right? It says " 8:43PM Mon 3/9/20 " That's fair enough. But, I'd so much prefer " 8:43 Mon 9 Mar 20 " or similar.

Any fixes, please?

Yes ....... right click on it ......
    Set Time Format ....... make sure that is set correctly for this locale ...... Region Ireland here.

Then right click again and select Configure DIgital Clock Settings ......

You should be able to get what you want there.

If not post back.

Nope. Not quite. I tried to get a screen grab, to show ye what that got me, the slight differences? Couldn't work that out :o

Anyway; I changed it to Irish. But, having restarted, to effect the changes? It says " 22:26 ". Date format's the same :confused:

Wait there! Rebooting! :D

• Advertisement

Oh god! I'm such a ring piece! :D

I went into Digital Clock. Found 'Date Format'. Sorted that (Short Format). Think I had to reboot, to make it appear?

Went back in. Clicked 'Time Display' and, like a right doughnut, got confused and clicked for 24 Hour!!! :o Forgot my formats!

All sorted now, thanks! :D

Advertisement