Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP Max von Sydow

Options
  • 09-03-2020 1:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Reports emerging that the great - and really few actors deserve that description more - Max von Sydow has died at the age of 90.

https://twitter.com/mubi/status/1236987498984865792?s=20

Discovering Ingmar Bergman films in university was a big deal for me - and von Sydow was one of the brilliant, intense and charismatic troupe of actors who was so essential to many of the director's key films. Most famously he was the despairing knight in The Seventh Seal, but equally great in many other Bergman masterworks.

Of course, he then went on to have a magnificently varied and long-lasting career - popping up in everything from Hannah and her Sisters to Flash Gordon to The Exorcist to Minority Report. He's in a mad variety of films, but he was always a reliable presence even when the film wasn't much to write home about.

RIP to a true giant of cinema, who made the most out of a 70 year career. He, as they say, had a hell of a run.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Great actor. Has so many great movie roles under his belt.
    He also voiced Vigo in Ghostbusters 2. Only found out about that one myself recently. But once you hear it in your head you go "yeah... thats right he did!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No one will forget Ming the Merciless and I'm not being facile, he was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I think my first introduction to him was his wonderful scene in Conan the Barbarian. Just one scene, but he leaves an indelible mark on the film.

"There comes a time, thief, when the jewels cease to sparkle..."

I was genuinely excited to hear he was in the new cast for The Force Awakens. They did nothing with him. I haven't much liked a Star War since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

A brilliant actor. He was great as Chief Justice Fargo in Judge Dredd. Does anybody know did he shave his head bald for Ming the Merciless in 1980 or wear a cap? RIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fantastic classical actor, who always brought productions up a level by dint of his class and presence. So many great roles, from Exorcist to Ming.

(sidebar, but apparently he worse old-age makeup for Exorcist, just looking again and I don't see it. That was some good FX)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My favourite of his films is The Seventh Seal. May he rest in peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Brilliant actor.

My first introduction to him was as Fr Merrin in The Exorcist. Then in Escape to Victory. He always shone in whatever role he was in.

He will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No one will forget Ming the Merciless and I'm not being facile, he was perfect.

I was ... today years old when I learned that.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

A class act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ah, that's a shame. One of the genuine greats.

the-seventh-seal-chess-scene-1108x0-c-default.jpg

"No one escapes me".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He was great as Jesus in The Greatest Story Ever Told

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

In my mind he'll always be Fr. Merrin from The Exorcist (hard to believe he was only 43 when filming that)!

Many years ago i remember watching him in Bergman's "The Virgin Spring"
    What an amazing film that was.

RIP.

Advertisement