Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Ioniq 38 review.........

• 06-03-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Starting with a question.....
    I can only find LKA & it's useless compared to the Ioniq 28.
    Is LFA burried somewhere I can't find?

The driver's seat is significantly higher...this, I really, really don't like.
    The stereo is far better, especially the lower end/bass.

Reflections! These were terrible earlier today from the white dashboard onto the windscreen. Crazy!

Oh, charging now, fun, fun, fun! Slow, slow, slow!

bEKwWKR_d.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

You can lower the driver's seat and even raise/lower the front and back bit. Was that insufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

The Irish spec does not have LFA. The Irish spec seems to be the uk spec premium with leather being the only difference. The new LKA does not have an LKA active option like the old uk premium se had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Sabre Man wrote: »
    You can lower the driver's seat and even raise/lower the front and back bit. Was that insufficient?

Yes, that was insufficient.
    They must have risen the floor because it now feels like you're sitting "on" the car, rather than in it.
    It actually feels like a SUV type seating position which is ridiculous in a saloon shaped car. I'm tall, granted, but it really is a dire development from Hyundai.
    ainsyjnr wrote: »
    The Irish spec does not have LFA.

Whatever it has, it too is now dire. The old Ioniq has a quite decent LKA system - this new one is useless. It really does very little bar suddenly move the car away from the lane markers, usually after crossing them :eek:.

Charging speed, as expected, it terrible. Even knowing in advance how badly hampered it is, actually sitting in the car watching the charge speeds is tortuous.

Screen reflections! The white dash reflects sooooo soooo badly it seriously impairs vision out the front. This is especially bad for the driver as the reflection swoops down to within a few inches of the top of the dash, leaving a few inches of unobstructed vision out the windscreen :eek:.
    Black cars appear grey above the reflection, black below. Everything is obscured.

It's mind boggling that any designer would approve this level of terrible :(.
    Only 1000km on it so far so still getting used to it but as Mrs. K was a likely customer for the new Ioniq, I'm sorry to say I can't find any redeeming features or characteristics yet.

The LKA in the Ioniq I never found good anyway even Bjorn tested it and it bounced from line to line.

The LKA in the E-soul was terrific though and was rock solid in the lane, I was very impressed.

The LEaf pro pilot was good also, they have a more advanced version for the 60 Kwh I believe.

My i3 only has "parallel" park assist lol, I actually used it last night for the first time I'd say in over a year and it worked brilliantly didn't have to touch anything and it did it all itself, scary but works great. Will tell you if the car will fit, then it will tell you to hold the P button and then it takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's a pity
    The LKAS/LFA in the Ioniq 28 was the best non Tesla system I've used to date.
    Reports of it ping ponging between lines are usually from morons who did not switch it to "active" setting and then complain when it doesnt work!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ELM327 wrote: »
    That's a pity
    The LKAS/LFA in the Ioniq 28 was the best non Tesla system I've used to date.
    Reports of it ping ponging between lines are usually from morons who did not switch it to "active" setting and then complain when it doesnt work!

I believe there were also a couple of cars that required recalibration. There were stories of people getting a much better experience after the windscreen was replaced (requires recalibration)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Mine was significantly better after the windscreen was replaced by Mr Windscreen (and they re-calibrated it). But even before then it worked fine in my 28kWh Ioniq. As ELM327 said, anyone commenting that it bounced off the lines was not using the active setting. As we've told Sasha CoolS Rainfall and others before. More than once :p

unkel wrote: »
    Mine was significantly better after the windscreen was replaced by Mr Windscreen (and they re-calibrated it). But even before then it worked fine in my 28kWh Ioniq. As ELM327 said, anyone commenting that it bounced off the lines was not using the active setting. As we've told Sasha CoolS Rainfall and others before. More than once :p
    Damn Ioniq shorts!

You lads sure Bjorn didn't think of that ?

You lads sure Bjorn didn't think of that ?
    From memory he did one review where he was critical and then a correction where he proclaimed it "auto pilot ish" and the best non tesla AP

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    From memory he did one review where he was critical and then a correction where he proclaimed it "auto pilot ish" and the best non tesla AP

Link ?

From the reviews I've read the E-soul seems to have the best LKA or whatever it's called and better then the E-Niro.

The LKA in the Ioniq I never found good anyway even Bjorn tested it and it bounced from line to line.

With approaching 50k kms on a year old Ioniq 28, I can confirm it had pretty decent lane keeping ability.
    Maybe the new one is in need of calibration but I suspect it's just inferior - Hyundai have gone backwards in many ways with this car :(.

2Kz2bKX.jpg

32 minutes today to add 40% charge, averaging just 29kW.
    That was in the battery "sweet spot" SOC - adding another 40% would take another hour :eek:.

It really is soul destroying looking at a car tapering to just 22kW on a fast DC charger. A car with a liquid cooled battery on a 10 celcius day.

XINQ4yt.jpg

NKHlaEL.jpg

Did anyone mention reflections yet?

Comparison pictures - it's actually worse in actuality :eek:.

savivSc.jpg
    R2551bR.jpg

Under forecourt lights.

no1GIIg.jpg
    iKtrHHn.jpg

The car needs a wooly blanket draped over the white dash, Asian style :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭eagerv

Pity about the reflections, drove the car during Storm whatever a few weeks ago and of course didn't notice it. Liked the light interior...

These figures are really best case scenario - experienced EV hypermiler :D.
    Pointless travelling faster with such abysmal charging speeds.

Cowgi2b.jpg

Probably worst case scenario - heavy (torrential) rain (empty road though ;)), windy, 120km/h sustained GPS speed. Heat at 21c, wipers etc.

4uLpwct.jpg

So 150km range (75 minutes driving time) to be followed by 75 minutes charge time, to get another 60 minutes drive time :rolleyes:.

City car as Bjorn would say :D.

Yes, it's pathetic.
    They have besmirched the good name Ioniq

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So...faults and all, how are folk finding it?
    Does it have adaptive cruise control?
    Hearing of one that may come up with little mileage for ~€26k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

slave1 wrote: »

At 26 k it's not a bad purchase at all.

The slow charging issue is well known of course but on a 26 k to buy car is much less of an issue then at the absurd 37 k they want for it new.

Would make a perfectly usable commuter car.

You could even live with some rapid charging if it was only say to add 30 or 40 miles on occasional trips.

The slow charging starts to become an issue where you regularly rapid charge all the way to 80 percent.

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

IMO i'd say at 26k that's a bargain. If the car practically works for you and its range is sufficient that's all you want. TBH, it's range would probably do me too (218km would be my longest semi regular trip, and ABRP suggests it's doable from a home charge), but it (or the 28) is just not the right main car for our family.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's actually a bit of overkill for me but at the given price I'd be tempted and moving from a Leaf30 I like the adaptive cruise control and better motorway range.
    Cost of change the issue but 31.12.2020 looming also and who knows what pricing will be thereafter which will push all domestic and import prices up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭eagerv

I always liked the new Ioniq, even though I can understand the reasons why many don't. Providing you don't need to fast charge often, the range is a sweet spot for many.
    I am about average height and on our classic Ioniq I normally raise the seat a few clicks to be comfortable. On the new version I had the seat at its' lowest. Seat does not lower as far as the classic so may be a problem for taller drivers. (Due to larger battery pack).
    Otherwise it is very well specced with leather, heat pump (I think), ACC, large info screen etc.
    It seams to be equally efficient as the 28kWh and I read that it's spoken highly of in the UK, many are experienced EV owners. There seemed to be good deals done on it there, here it was simply far too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

slave1 wrote: »

At such a low price you should be able to sell it quickly at no loss if you do not like it.

Advertisement