Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ronan O'Gara as analyst

• 07-03-2020 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

Watching Ronan as analyst I wondered just why. He struggles to string sentences and thoughts together. Comes across as barely literate. Compounded by a dreadful culchie accent. You would wonder did he get any training before going in front of the camera. You squirm when he's talking because he just isn't able for it. The worst thing is that he's been doing it for a while and shows no sign of improvement.

Should he be carded?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Never heard of him. Take it to the soccer forum, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I find him unbearable. I wish they wouldn't put him on tv/radio.

I like him as an analyst.

his occasional bumbling is endearing and he's an actual current coach so has that perspective and is more open, honest and less fake than career knob-ends like Heaslip for example

and I'm not a Munster supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Moving from AH.

Please note local charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Excellent. Not trying to cram clichés into every sentence . Honest. Lacks polish but I find that more interesting..

• Advertisement

Wtf. Is this a pisstake? He's the best pundit going. He actually knows what he's talking about. He doesn't hold back yet is eloquent enough not to completely slate people. He will be the head coach of Ireland one day. Lap it up while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Wtf. Is this a pisstake? He's the best pundit going. He actually knows what he's talking about. He doesn't hold back yet is eloquent enough not to completely slate people. He will be the head coach of Ireland one day. Lap it up while you can.

Ronan O 'Gara is eloquent? Eloquent?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

I see what you're talking about. Maybe some training would help him but his analysis is always dead on I think.

I see this was originally posted in AH....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

He's a great pundit. As mentioned above, his less polished nature makes him all the easier to listen to for me.

Whatever he says seems to be an honest opinion, doesn't just lick arse because he knows/has played with somebody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'm big fan as a player but can't tolerate him as a pundit. I switch off when I see him. He seems to know his stuff but he'd put you to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Eloquent.....

"I wouldn't be nervous getting up on Jessica....."

He is honest and knowledgeable but he is not eloquent

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

I find him hard to listen to. Monotone voice and glacially slow speech and thought process. He would ok writing an article but he is not suited to tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Always enjoy him. Still the greatest player to ever pull on a number 10 jersey! I never tire of telling people but some have the cheek to argue with me. :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Always enjoy him. Still the greatest player to ever pull on a number 10 jersey! I never tire of telling people but some have the cheek to argue with me. :D

ah now.

maybe in touch rugby.

I find him hard to listen to. Monotone voice and glacially slow speech and thought process. He would ok writing an article but he is not suited to tv.

Yes. It's too difficult to actually listen to what point he is making because he himself gets in the way. He may have been one of the greats but I think his boots have done the talking.

Excellent. Not trying to cram clichés into every sentence . Honest. Lacks polish but I find that more interesting..

Just as well he's not trying to cram cliches into his sentences. Such as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Hoboo

He's great on Radio ROG

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

''Compounded by a dreadful culchie accent."

Sweet suffering Jesus, you mental sack of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Just because he hesitates, it seems odd, but the content is great, prefer thought through response not play to the crowd.

For a technical game you need yhat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Munster has produced 4 of the worse pundits on the face of the earth; ROG, Quinlan, Woodie (aka Fester) and Eddie. Sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

omerin wrote: »
    Munster has produced 4 of the worse pundits on the face of the earth; ROG, Quinlan, Woodie (aka Fester) and Eddie. Sorry about that

Shane williams has to be the worst ever, he hasn't a clue what he's on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Mod

Moving from AH.

Jesus, why would you ever move something from AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Don't forget Reggie Corrigan's TG 4 career!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ROG is one of the best pundits not worst

Quinny is grand. Not terrible. Not great either.
    Eddie can be good quite a lot. But 2007 disaster will always be in peoples minds when he talks.
    Dont know why you are trying to go provincial when there is plenty very bad pundits from the other province's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

He's not polished as a tv pundit but he knows his stuff, doesn't trot out any old rubbish so takes his time and thinks about his answers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Mod

Moving from AH.

Ehhh, "thanks" Ted! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Love him

Next

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

i find him insufferable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

He called this Scotland performance. Or rather, this French underperformance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement