Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GoCar sign-up and monthly fees

Options
  • 07-03-2020 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having trouble establishing whether GoCar still charge a sign-up fee and a monthly 'membership' charge. Some of the information found through search engines is as much as ten years out of date and I'm not confident that the GoCar website is telling me everything up front.

Has anyone signed up recently who can explain the costs please?

Comments

Hi,

I'm having trouble establishing whether GoCar still charge a sign-up fee and a monthly 'membership' charge. Some of the information found through search engines is as much as ten years out of date and I'm not confident that the GoCar website is telling me everything up front.

So you think their business model is to trick people into paying hidden fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hi,

I've been a member for years (though I've only used it a couple of times) - no monthly fees.

If you're planning to join I'll send you a sign-up link that gives you a €25 discount off your first trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

loyatemu wrote: »
    I've been a member for years (though I've only used it a couple of times) - no monthly fees.

If you're planning to join I'll send you a sign-up link that gives you a €25 discount off your first trip.
    The problem is that I have been a member for even more years, paid a €50 sign-up fee and I'm still paying a €5 per month membership fee by Direct Debit.

I imagine that competition from Toyota's Yuko and the rake of taxi service apps convinced GoCar to revise their pricing structure numerous times since I joined but this hasn't been automatically adjusted for existing members.

I went part way through a mock sign-up to see what the current charges are but it appears that there just aren't any 'hidden' charges now. However, it seems that veterans like myself who funded the original fleet are still paying for their upkeep!

Thanks for confirming that there are no longer any monthly fees. I can now confidently contact GoCar and ask why they are still charging me and when I will receive a full refund.

Can anyone confirm if the monthly fee was ever less than €5? I've seen some comments suggesting that it was €3 a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

So you think their business model is to trick people into paying hidden fees?
    See my other reply for why I wanted to know about 'hidden fees'!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

offers often change for new customers - look at Sky.

best bet is to close your account and reopen a new one with a different email address.

• Advertisement
Advertisement