Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

holiday insurance for States

• 05-03-2020 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi - I am due to travel to the States next week with my family (wife and kids). Can anyone recommend a good plan? Just conscious with coronavirus I would be concerned about potential cancelled flights when over there etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Can't recommend a particular plan but do recommend that your policy has $10,000,000 medical cover for family trip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Sos88sos88 wrote: »
    with coronavirus I would be concerned about potential cancelled flights when over there etc

You should be more concerned about the cost of medical treatment - remember that the biggest reason for personal bankruptcy in the US is unmanageable medical bills. For this reason, you will need a policy that is US-specific and gives cover in multiple millions, as suggested by naughtysmurf.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

Can't recommend a particular plan but do recommend that your policy has $10,000,000 medical cover for family trip

Great shout thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Sos88sos88 wrote: »
    Hi - I am due to travel to the States next week with my family (wife and kids). Can anyone recommend a good plan? Just conscious with coronavirus I would be concerned about potential cancelled flights when over there etc
    from looking at AA (by Axa) as a reference, your policy might not cover costs related to countries being declared as not safe to visit, i.e. hit by corona virus .
    Others have said Allianz have the same policy condition.

So no cancellation cover, no medical cover, no evacuation cover etc. - if it is related to travel to a non safe area.

It actually makes logical sense that such mass events are listed as exclusions.

The principle of insurance is that a large number of people pay a relatively small sum, and from that pot a small number of people can get a relatively large sum of money.
    There is NOT the cash in the pot to give a high number of people a high sum of cash - which is why things that would potentially bankrupt an insurer are listed as exclusions, like say Corona virus breaking out in Spain or USA (or in the whole world) leading to 1000s of people looking for sums of thousands of euro each.

You should be more concerned about the cost of medical treatment - remember that the biggest reason for personal bankruptcy in the US is unmanageable medical bills. For this reason, you will need a policy that is US-specific and gives cover in multiple millions, as suggested by naughtysmurf.

Yes thanks, course that is worse case scenario but yes thanks!

• Advertisement

from looking at AA (by Axa) as a reference, your policy might not cover costs related to countries being declared as not safe to visit, i.e. hit by corona virus . Others have said Allianz have the same policy condition.

Thanks but at the moment I believe the US is a safe to travel country course but can change by next week so I'll need to keep an eye on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Not sure if buying a policy this late would cover for Corono virus related cancellations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Not sure if buying a policy this late would cover for Corono virus related cancellations ?

I got cover pretty easy. As long as the government haven't ruled it a non flight zone then the cover will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

In my opinion, It’s good practice to purchase travel insurance as soon as you’ve made a significant purchase , for example a few grands worth of flights, I’ve often bought flights to the US 9 to 11 months before travel, buy my travel insurance at the same time or within a few days

• Advertisement
Advertisement