Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you choose the County you are stationed in?

• 27-01-2020 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Just wondering how they decide what county you are going to be stationed to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

Unsure of how they decide but i think their generally fair on where the station you. Like if your from cork, you could be looking at Limerick, Tipp and the likes but I have heard of cases of Cork/Kerry people being stationed in Dublin!

I'm from Kilkenny anyway and hoping that I don't get stationed any where like Donegal!! I have 3 kids and any guard i spoke to about my situation said their fair for people like that and that i would probably be looking at surrounding counties like Wexford, Waterford or Carlow...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Triplek

Unfortunately you can’t choose where you are based, but they assess you on intake to the college apparently. ie if you have kids they’ll base you close to home, family situations etc. My partner is from Sligo and he got shafted to Louth. So I wouldn’t be counting any chickens just yet if your a young chap/girl with no ties. Also depends on where numbers are needed most too in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 31 docst

cosieman wrote: »
    Just wondering how they decide what county you are going to be stationed to.
    Ah here.... If you have a welfare case you may be accomadated, but your signing up on the basis you could stationed anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I've it's typically no more than 2 counties away but that could be a load of BS.

I know a fella who got in around 3 years back, he's from Galway and got scooted off to Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Like above I know 2 lads from Cork who recently came out of training. One was allowed to be based in Cork as he has a young child. The other was basically told you're going where you're told. He's up in Dublin now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

Can you put in a request to go to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

Can you put in a request to go to Dublin?

There would be a much higher demand for members in Dublin. I think that if you're from Dublin or surrounding counties you have a good chance of being stationed there. I watched the December graduation and everyone from Dublin was stationed in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shaneoohh

I think Dublin is the only place to can request to be stationed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It would be logical to assign people with family commitments as close as possible within reason to their family base. Otherwise you wont get the best out of these people as they will be distracted by family issues and trying to get transfers nearer home. Of course that means the single people with no family commitments will get the less convenients stations. However Dublin recruits invariably will get Dublin stations. Anyone can apply for a transfer and they will get it eventually, maybe into the Division first and then bit by bit to the station of choice

Advertisement