Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chicago GAA

• 06-03-2020 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a long shot question here I suppose but does anyone know where you could get some basic information about the possibilities for playing hurling in Chicago? I'm moving there in August and have been away from playing the game the last couple of years because I'm in a place where there isn't any hurling in Texas.

But the Chicago GAA website is very poorly maintained and the links to the few hurling clubs they list mostly don't actually work, and they don't have a map of the clubs either, so I can't tell if there's any hurling club anywhere close to where I'll be living.

Just wondering if anyone has ever played or been involved there who knows if any hurling teams play in the Southland area or somewhere close to there?

Would be especially interested in clubs that have a place for lads who were useless when they were young and haven't aged well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Maybe post this in the United States forum as well. They are a helpful bunch over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Maybe post this in the United States forum as well. They are a helpful bunch over there.

Good call thanks!
    Should say also I'm not just looking at Southland, but the south and Southwest of the city generally

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Chicago Gaelic Park seems to be in the southland area. Maybe email or phone them, there may be clubs associated (I have no direct detail - just sitting on a train in Kildare commuting to work, bouncing around the internet :-)). Regarding the websites, if they are anything like my local clubs the quality varies depending on who volunteers to manage... hmm maybe i should put my name forward in my local club... now look what you've done!

Good luck and remember the more you train the better you get or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I find the facebook pages of these teams are a lot more active than the websites. I know from my own club the website isnt maintained at all but the facebook page is very active.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

com1 wrote: »
    Chicago Gaelic Park seems to be in the southland area. Maybe email or phone them, there may be clubs associated (I have no direct detail - just sitting on a train in Kildare commuting to work, bouncing around the internet :-)). Regarding the websites, if they are anything like my local clubs the quality varies depending on who volunteers to manage... hmm maybe i should put my name forward in my local club... now look what you've done!

Good luck and remember the more you train the better you get or something like that.
    Ugh, training...well now you're after putting me right off the whole idea.

Does anyone know of any good places for chicken wings and beer in the south Chicago area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Ugh, training...well now you're after putting me right off the whole idea.

Does anyone know of any good places for chicken wings and beer in the south Chicago area?

hmmm beer and chicken wings - now thats my type of training...

Advertisement