Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a landlord

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Lol jog on yourself. I'm absolutely begrudging his situation....
    Apologies. I just find the whole "privileged" thing a real heckle raiser. It's like nails on a blackboard or biting wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Lol jog on yourself. I'm absolutely begrudging his situation and I'm venting about that. This thread is about landlords. What do you expect.

Begrudging won’t get ya a house! OP didn’t know he was in a time where mortgages were been handed out like confetti but he made a decision to invest in his future and took action, impressive to be able to do that at 23, I’m forty and only started a pension last year! Fair play OP, u sound like you’re a down to earth and good luck with your investments, hope it works out and ur fifties are good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Colking

Zulu wrote: »
    Apologies. I just find the whole "privileged" thing a real heckle raiser. It's like nails on a blackboard or biting wool.

In fairness, I think it's a term that someone trolling threw out earlier in the thread and it's being bandied about now, but not from a trolling perspective.

If we replace the word privilege with opportunity I think it's more accurate. Opportunity means measuring risk v reward though, and measuring what your appetite towards it is.

Was there an opportunity between 2002 - 2008 to get a mortgage pretty easily ? Yes.

I know people who took the opportunity when it presented itself and made hay.

I also know people who took it and they are still in the recovery process 15 years later with PIP's, Bankruptcy's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Hi there
    I wouldn't be too happy if a tenant told me he wants the property for his son. I wouldn't know the son..and as far as I would be concerned my lease is with the existing tenant he cant pass it on...I never heard about it to be honest nor has it happened to me . if I were you I would call the PRTB and see if they have more info on it

I think you misunderstood my post!

I have been asked to vacate the property I am renting.
    My landlord has informed me that he wants his property back for his son to move into - all done correctly, signed declaration via his solicitor.

A number of people have advised me to just stay put & not move, that there is very little my landlord can do.

I've no intention of doing this but I was surprised at how many people suggested it.

My question basically was, Have you had any issues with tenants refusing to leave? & how did you handle it?

• Company Representative Posts: 87 Verified rep I'm a Landlord, AMA

I think you misunderstood my post!

I have been asked to vacate the property I am renting.
    My landlord has informed me that he wants his property back for his son to move into - all done correctly, signed declaration via his solicitor.

A number of people have advised me to just stay put & not move, that there is very little my landlord can do.

I've no intention of doing this but I was surprised at how many people suggested it.

My question basically was, Have you had any issues with tenants refusing to leave? & how did you handle it?

apologies I get you now
    If you are paying the rent then there is not a lot your landlord can do about it
    I never had tenants refuse to leave or asked any to move out ( bar the bomb and drugs people both were in custody so they had eh another place to go )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Hi it’s the way it’s taxed see the previous posts on how the taxing works and all the new taxes that I paid that were not there when I bought them

, I don’t see how I am massively privileged at all .... I wasn’t given the houses nor was it easy to keep and maintain them i explained that when I was 23 as all my pals were going to Ibiza and buying new cars I was saving up for a house deposit / stamp duty and solicitors fees even down to bringing my own lunch to work and not going out for a year.. they still haven’t broke even after 16 years and last year was the first year where they paid for themselves

Reading this I have to laugh in the difference a decade makes, I am now 26, work full time, saving as much as I can out of my salary, my other half the same.

We pay rent, we don't go out, we don't own cars, we don't go anywhere really, been to Paris once for 4 days which I paid for, first time away in 9 years of being together.

We save save save save, yet were still not able to get a mortgage because of people like you owning 3 houses on 40k salary? Jesus christ, combined we have over 50k and we cannot even get 1 house in Meath.

When you look back at how the banks basically gifted you 3 houses, do you feel in anyway sympathetic that its this exact reason, people my age now will never own their own home without a parent gifting them money for a deposit or a home(both of mine being out of the picture, 1 dead, 1 might as well be) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Reading this I have to laugh in the difference a decade makes, I am now 26, work full time, saving as much as I can out of my salary, my other half the same.

We pay rent, we don't go out, we don't own cars, we don't go anywhere really, been to Paris once for 4 days which I paid for, first time away in 9 years of being together.

We save save save save, yet were still not able to get a mortgage because of people like you owning 3 houses on 40k salary? Jesus christ, combined we have over 50k and we cannot even get 1 house in Meath.

When you look back at how the banks basically gifted you 3 houses, do you feel in anyway sympathetic that its this exact reason, people my age now will never own their own home without a parent gifting them money for a deposit or a home(both of mine being out of the picture, 1 dead, 1 might as well be) ?

So small scale landlords are responsible now for the housing market, the central bank rules, developers manipulating supply and construction Shortages.

You need to stop blaming everyone else for your situation. People your age will of course own houses, but not the ones who blame the world for their problems, sure it not easy to buy somewhere now I can understand the frustration, the market is a disaster, but that’s not a small landlords fault

• gibgodsman wrote: »

The banks 'gifted' him massive mortgages on houses that were worth half what he is paying for them within a few years.

You are rightfully angry about your situation but I don't think the OP is to blame.

I went into the workforce in 2004 and thank my lucky stars that I didn't bow to pressure from loads of people and buy a house I didn't need.

Myself and my wife lived in house shares separately for over a decade and bought a home when we could afford it and were ready to have a family.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Do you have a bedside locker?

Whats in your Bedside locker?

Do you even provide a Bedside locker?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Can I remind you all that this is an AMA not a general discussion about the property market. If you have questions for the OP, please ask them; if you want to discuss the property market, there are plenty of discussions you can join in Accommodation & Property. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Do you get the same smart alec response in real life as here about being a landlord? I bet you'd pay the mortgage if you had a euro for everytime someone called you a right cute hoor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

<snip>
    OK my question is:

Did you vote for Fine Gael?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Mod: Listen, if anyone wants to do a "I'm a tenant, AMA" give me a shout but this is not the place for airing your grievances about how you can't get a mortgage. I am fully sympathetic to the position people find themselves in at the moment with regard to buying a home but the thread is about the landlord OP and asking him about his experience as a landlord.

Last warning.

Do you have a bedside locker?

Whats in your Bedside locker?

Do you even provide a Bedside locker?

What’s in my bedside locker ?
    Cans of tenants of course ....

Back on topic now

Do you get the same smart alec response in real life as here about being a landlord? I bet you'd pay the mortgage if you had a euro for everytime someone called you a right cute hoor!!

Sometimes yes
    Back in 2012 people laughed at me ( hate that lol) ..
    So I suppose it evens out

I find it weird when people laugh at you when you are not doing well
    And then begrudge you when you are doing ok ...

Anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Sometimes yes
    Back in 2012 people laughed at me ( hate that lol) ..
    So I suppose it evens out

I find it weird when people laugh at you when you are not doing well
    And then begrudge you when you are doing ok ...

Anyway

My only regret was not using my deposit money to buy a few apartments at 30/40k each back in 2012/3/4 instead of one house. Next recession maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I am not allowed to defend myself Niamh? I don't begrudge anyone anything i already said i was happy for you i just find it incredible that you can't be happy for yourself. Why can't you be happy with yourself? ( It actually seems very American to say "I got here thanks to hard work i had no luck and no one helped me".... are you American?) Is it some kind of an Irish thing? Does that count as a question? Some of my other questions were snipped because they weren't considered questions I guess. Is it really such an awful curse that you have these 3 houses? Honestly?

Here is another question:

What would it take for you to actually feel happy and privileged?

Lol jog on yourself. I'm absolutely begrudging his situation and I'm venting about that. This thread is about landlords. What do you expect.
    I am not allowed to defend myself Niamh? I don't begrudge anyone anything i already said i was happy for you i just find it incredible that you can't be happy for yourself. Why can't you be happy with yourself? ( It actually seems very American to say "I got here thanks to hard work i had no luck and no one helped me".... are you American?) Is it some kind of an Irish thing? Does that count as a question? Some of my other questions were snipped because they weren't considered questions I guess. Is it really such an awful curse that you have these 3 houses? Honestly?

Here is another question:

What would it take for you to actually feel happy and privileged?

This is again off topic ....
    My personal happiness is not really relevant to the thread

Privileged ? I am healthy ??My health ?? Everything I have was down to hard work , nobody gave me money or 3 free houses ..I worked in a petrol station by night for 4 years and did a maths degree by day thru my late teens and early 20s , I saved and saved and saved for years for a deposit ... stamp duty alone was over 10k per house as far as I remember
    I didn’t moan and say how terrible it was I got on with it and didn’t stop untill I had what I wanted ...

you could do all I did easily if you really wanted to..

Back then property prices were way higher
    Stamp duty was way higher

Anyway back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

It’s gas when you were the guts of a half a million in negative equity a few years ago people wouldn’t have cared but now that things have improved for you and you are nearing the finishing line mortgage wise some posters seem to be angry towards you . You poured in your own money for the last 15 years and I’m sure a lot of time as well . I for one think you get whatever u deserve out of life and also that the more you put in the more you will get out . Good luck for the future op.

spurshero wrote: »
    It’s gas when you were the guts of a half a million in negative equity a few years ago people wouldn’t have cared but now that things have improved for you and you are nearing the finishing line mortgage wise some posters seem to be angry towards you . You poured in your own money for the last 15 years and I’m sure a lot of time as well . I for one think you get whatever u deserve out of life and also that the more you put in the more you will get out . Good luck for the future op.

Hi,
    Thanks for your kind words appreciated !!

• Advertisement

• spurshero wrote: »

I think that anger is dangerous, populist and quite ill-informed. I heard a lot of it stirred up around the time of the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

<snip>
    OK my question is:

Did you vote for Fine Gael?

grow up honestly, the man is being very honest about what being a landlord is. It's quite informative. Get the chip off your shoulder, it won't get you far in life

I think that anger is dangerous, populist and quite ill-informed. I heard a lot of it stirred up around the time of the election.

I agree 100000%
    Ironically FG the “landlord party” brought it more taxes for landlords than any other party in the history of the state ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ReneeCali

I had just finished a 4 year maths degree while working in a petrol station by night in 2002 , then I started as a junior developer so in 2004 I was a developer

How does this show I was greedy ?

Honestly, I find this hard to believe. A guy two years out of college buying a house. Unheard of at that time. Banks would not give you a mortgage if you didn't have a full-time job, and even then it was X times income. I know this for a fact.

Your spoofing. I guess Boards.ie have some agenda on this, though I'm not sure what it is.

• ReneeCali wrote: »
    Honestly, I find this hard to believe. A guy two years out of college buying a house. Unheard of at that time. Banks would not give you a mortgage if you didn't have a full-time job, and even then it was X times income.

Nothing wrong with greed...but be honest with people

Not unheard of at the time. Remember 100% mortgages were still a thing. I remember very nearly buying an apartment with 2 friends and we'd barely a penny between us...its this madness that lead to the last major downturn. But its OK, you twist history to suit your self pitying agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Never seen such vile hatred directed at an AMA host before.

Speaks volumes for the character of some posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭ Skyler Swift Knob

ReneeCali wrote: »
    Honestly, I find this hard to believe. A guy two years out of college buying a house. Unheard of at that time. Banks would not give you a mortgage if you didn't have a full-time job, and even then it was X times income. I know this for a fact.

Your spoofing. I guess Boards.ie have some agenda on this, though I'm not sure what it is.

He did have a full time job, I think he said he was on 40k a year. I can remember lads in their early 20s getting 100% mortgages back then. Up until 5 years ago, you only needed an 8% deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

I bought my 1st house 2 years out of college. In 2005
    I hadn't a penny, 100% mortgage. Bought on my own, the now wife was in college also.
    Had a fridge, that was it for furniture and slept on d floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ReneeCali

Not unheard of at the time. Remember 100% mortgages were still a thing. I remember very nearly buying an apartment with 2 friends and we'd barely a penny between us...its this madness that lead to the last major downturn. But its OK, you twist history to suit your self pitying agenda

I was in Ireland from 2000 to 2004, and I know exactly what the bank's policies were. The banks are not stupid - they did not lend to people unless they had a stable income and a permanent contract. And even then it was a multiple of income. This would be even more so if he or she was applying as a single person. Don't try to rewrite history.

Its complete nonsense, and I have never heard of anyone moving from working nights in a petrol station to become a property developer.

I don't have a self-pitying agenda. It just doesn't add up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ReneeCali wrote: »

They had lifted the rules at this time which is how lots of people ended up in trouble when it resulted in the crash a few years later. Which is why they had to reinstate those rule years later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement