Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a landlord

Comments

Are your houses furnished?
    Why do you think unfurnished houses are so much more expensive to rent?
    If a tenant wanted their own furniture in your home would you get rid of your own stuff?
    I sold a house & went to rent for a while, moving areas, I have ended up selling most of my furniture because the landlord has nowhere to put the furniture in the house I'm renting.......

• Company Representative Posts: 87 Verified rep I'm a Landlord, AMA

Any horror stories with really bad tenants? causing issues or having fights, or drug addicts for example? how did you deal with them?

Any tenants you struggled to get out when their lease was up?

One fella was selling drugs
    Another built a bomb in the garage and blew up an estate agents in Roscommon it was all over the news at the time ... gave them both notice ....the bomb fella made up all threats but nothing ever came of them .. he got 2 years in the end over it the house was raided and all over him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Since you bought and started renting the houses has their been major price increases till now? What kind of rates where you charging per month vs now...

Also, what happens when tenants stop paying rent, have you had any issues removing them from the properties whilst still having to pay the mortgage

bubblypop wrote: »
    Are your houses furnished?
    Why do you think unfurnished houses are so much more expensive to rent?
    If a tenant wanted their own furniture in your home would you get rid of your own stuff?
    I sold a house & went to rent for a while, moving areas, I have ended up selling most of my furniture because the landlord has nowhere to put the furniture in the house I'm renting.......

Don’t know to be honest ...,I do understand that people might want to bring their own beds and that .And i did try to make allowances because of that but for example I would have nowhere to store 3 beds and then if I threw them out and the tenant left I would have to buy 3 new ones

skinny90 wrote: »
    Since you bought and started renting the houses has their been major price increases till now? What kind of rates where you charging per month vs now...

Also, what happens when tenants stop paying rent, have you had any issues removing them from the properties whilst still having to pay the mortgage

I have a 3 bed in d24 when I bought the house the going rent was 1200 per month then it went down to 850-900 in the recession ...it’s let at 1600 now I could easily get 2000 plus for it but the people there are nice and don’t give me any grief so I’m happy to leave it at that,

I’ve only ever had one issue with someone being in arrears and the house got raided shortly after they got into arrears do it wasn’t too hard to evict them ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Hi it’s the way it’s taxed see the previous posts on how the taxing works and all the new taxes that I paid that were not there when I bought them

, I don’t see how I am massively privileged at all .... I wasn’t given the houses nor was it easy to keep and maintain them i explained that when I was 23 as all my pals were going to Ibiza and buying new cars I was saving up for a house deposit / stamp duty and solicitors fees even down to bringing my own lunch to work and not going out for a year.. they still haven’t broke even after 16 years and last year was the first year where they paid for themselves

I know plenty of people who bring their own lunch to work and can't afford to go out, because they're giving in excess of 50% of their income to their landlord. Jesus Christ, you own three homes; of course you're privileged. Whether you can see it or not, you benefit enormously from a system that is designed to transfer wealth from working people to someone who, by their own admission, acquired a mortgage by deception.

I know plenty of people who bring their own lunch to work and can't afford to go out, because they're giving in excess of 50% of their income to their landlord. Jesus Christ, you own three homes; of course you're privileged. Whether you can see it or not, you benefit enormously from a system that is designed to transfer wealth from working people to someone who, by their own admission, acquired a mortgage by deception.

you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about landlords .. I am a working person from an average working class family I grew up in not a great area in Dublin .,you are making it sound like I was given the houses and I didn’t have to pay the mortgage , cover shortfalls ,pay when the tenant trashed the house etc and work and pay to keep them for the past 16 years
    If I sold them all tomorrow I would walk away with zero
    I don’t think I’m privileged at all really
    Hard working and determined more so

a mortgage by deception 😂😂please 😂😂
    You ever lie on a form ? Ever told a lie ??
    The first mortgage maybe .., the next 2 the bank were all over me to get the business but I still had to pay stamp and sols fees etc

Anyway thanks for your question
    Next person please

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

How much money do you take in each month?
    How much of that is profit?

Do you know what a REIT is? If you do, what do you think of them and why?

Do you know what HAP is? If you do, do you accept it or not and what do think of people who use HAP and why?

Do you discuss matters with other landlords? What do you think about other landlords? Are some sound, others not?

I better stop.. feels like I'm setting the Questions for English Paper 1 in the leaving cert!

you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about landlords ..

The term 'chip on your shoulder' implies that my views aren't rational. I simply find it nauseating when people are blind to their own privilege and feel aggrieved about paying tax on income. Especially when the amount of income depends not on their own labour, but on market forces.
    you are making it sound like I was given the houses and I didn’t have to pay the mortgage , cover shortfalls ,pay when the tenant trashed the house etc and work and pay to keep them for the past 16 years

I'm doing nothing of the sort. At no point have I suggested that you did anything other than borrow the money to buy them. You're making yourself out to be some kind of martyr here and throwing the toys out of the pram when the questions aren't to your liking.
    If I sold them all tomorrow I would walk away with zero

And aren't you lucky you don't have to do that? As you said yourself, you hope to be able to live off solely off the rents within a decade. See, that's why I have no sympathy for the whole 'woe is me, I have to pay tax' side of being a landlord.
    You ever lie on a form ?

No, but that's beside the point. I'm not judging you for deceiving a financial institution - I'm just saying it's a great privilege to have gotten away with doing so.

Slydice wrote: »
    How much money do you take in each month?
    How much of that is profit?

Do you know what a REIT is? If you do, what do you think of them and why?

Do you know what HAP is? If you do, do you accept it or not and what do think of people who use HAP and why?

Do you discuss matters with other landlords? What do you think about other landlords? Are some sound, others not?

I better stop.. feels like I'm setting the Questions for English Paper 1 in the leaving cert!

Hi there,
    I’m not sure what REIT is to be honest I just googled the site and I saw it’s some kind of group buy to let scheme ? But I don’t know anything about it to be honest

All my place are on the HAP scheme .. one bad thing tho there is a 4 month waiting list on HAP processing new tenants so you do have to cover the mortgage yourself while the application is processed I have no problem with the HAP scheme or people that receive it .. I don’t know why some landlords do have an issue with it

At the moment I roughly take in monthly

4700 rent

Mortgage is 3450
    House insurance 100
    Annual tax bill is about 12k (say 1000 a month )
    Solicitors fees 1500 a year
    Prtb
    Lpt
    Maintaince and repairs

So basically I make zero in capital per month ( I did have to add money to the rent to cover the mortgage for a long time )

• Advertisement

Thanks!

Do you have a preferred political party for doing landlord business?

Do you think any of the politcal parties would bring changes to help you make more money than you currently do?

Do you rank the rest of the political parties in how they affect your business? If you do, what are their rankings?

What's the best political policy for landlords right now?
    What's the worst political policy for landlords right now?

Is this question off-limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi there,
    I’m not sure what REIT is to be honest I just googled the site and I saw it’s some kind of group buy to let scheme ? But I don’t know anything about it to be honest

All my place are on the HAP scheme .. one bad thing tho there is a 4 month waiting list on HAP processing new tenants so you do have to cover the mortgage yourself while the application is processed I have no problem with the HAP scheme or people that receive it .. I don’t know why some landlords do have an issue with it

4700 rent

Mortgage is 3450
    House insurance 100
    Prtb
    Lpt
    Maintaince and repairs

So basically I make zero in capital per month ( I did have to add money to the rent to cover the mortgage for a long time )

Thanks for clarifying the total earnings and costs

I think it’s interesting AMA minus the trolls

I have two further questions

Buying appliances, Repairing and maintenance, at what point do you write off appliances after having them looked at...
    When it comes to purchasing appliances, do you take care in the decisions or is it, any cheap thing will do
    How have you found with tenants looking after them?

2nd question
    What’s your view on Airbnb...it seems that their is shift from moving from the private rental market to short term rents as a huge money saver and all in all less hassle.. do you see yourself going that way to pay the mortgage off sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hilarious when people try to paint landlords all with a bad brush.

There are way more harmful tenants in ireland, than there are landlords.

Thanks!

Do you think any of the politcal parties would bring changes to help you make more money than you currently do?

Do you rank the rest of the political parties in how they affect your business? If you do, what are their rankings?

Ha no I’ll do my best to answer you

No I don’t think there is a best and worst political party for landlords .people say fg is the landlord party but they brought in the most taxes on landlords ..

I could make more money if I wanted to 1 properly in particular is about 500 per month below market rent but the tenant in there is good and no hassle so I don’t want to raise the rent ..

I think rents are too high at the moment I would like to see some changes , I would fear drastic changes as they sometimes make things a lot worse unintentionally ...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jade2015

OP,There is always some begrudger who begrudge someone who makes his or her living off something that they dont see as work/labour.
    Best of luck and thanks for your post.
    <snip>

Thanks!

Sorry re this bit

I only know one landlord he was my ex girlfriends dad he urged me to get a rental place when I was 23 and he was a great help

I do hear weird stories where landlord want to see payslips and go far too far, a scratch on the wall that will be your deposit gone ... all that is shameful behaviour

Jade2015 wrote: »
    OP,There is always some begrudger who begrudge someone who makes his or her living off something that they dont see as work/labour.
    <snip>

Hey jade , thanks for your kind words :)

Hilarious when people try to paint landlords all with a bad brush.

There are way more harmful tenants in ireland, than there are landlords.

I know I had a bomb built in my garage from someone 🀦*♂️🀦*♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

The term 'chip on your shoulder' implies that my views aren't rational. I simply find it nauseating when people are blind to their own privilege and feel aggrieved about paying tax on income. Especially when the amount of income depends not on their own labour, but on market forces.

I'm doing nothing of the sort. At no point have I suggested that you did anything other than borrow the money to buy them. You're making yourself out to be some kind of martyr here and throwing the toys out of the pram when the questions aren't to your liking.

And aren't you lucky you don't have to do that? As you said yourself, you hope to be able to live off solely off the rents within a decade. See, that's why I have no sympathy for the whole 'woe is me, I have to pay tax' side of being a landlord.

No, but that's beside the point. I'm not judging you for deceiving a financial institution - I'm just saying it's a great privilege to have gotten away with doing so.

Possibly you misjudged this and the point wasn't that tax had to be paid but it's the level of tax such a landlord must pay. In comparison to other forns of investment and other players in the rental market who pay a lot less taxes.

He took a big risk. Risk takers who see their risk pay off reap the rewards. You come across as being envious. If you want some of the pie what's stopping you taking a risk?

skinny90 wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying the total earnings and costs

I think it’s interesting AMA minus the trolls

I have two further questions

Buying appliances, Repairing and maintenance, at what point do you write off appliances after having them looked at...
    When it comes to purchasing appliances, do you take care in the decisions or is it, any cheap thing will do
    How have you found with tenants looking after them?

2nd question
    What’s your view on Airbnb...it seems that their is shift from moving from the private rental market to short term rents as a huge money saver and all in all less hassle.. do you see yourself going that way to pay the mortgage off sooner

Any appliance Breaks I get it replaced ASAP no point in fecking around with repairs they never last and it annoys the tenant ... I have had a washing machine in my house the past 14 years the seem to last about 4 years in a rental house ?????
    People always smash chairs ??? And then try to say it’s wear and tear I don’t get it

AirBNb would be too much hassle for me I have my own 9-5 job also ...and the houses are paying for themselves now so I don’t need the hassle of short term lets

• Advertisement

Did you know the central bank does a report on mortgage arrears that includes Buy-To-Lets?

Are your mortgages considered Buy-To-Lets?

In the lastest report from the central bank: latest report link
    It says:
    • there are: 106,130 residential mortgage accounts for buy-to-let(BTL)properties
    • 14,744 accounts or 13.9per cent were in arrears of more than 90 days
      (outstanding balance on these accounts was€3.9billion)
    • Accounts in arrears of over 720 days numbered 10,861 or 62per cent of all BTL accounts in arrears
      (outstanding balance on these accounts was€3.1billion)
    • 48properties were taken into possession (16 by repossession)

That looks to me like a huge number of landlords in arrears over 2 years at 10,861.

I wonder if you understand it any better being in a landlord position?

Would you hold on to some of your properties if they were arrears? If not, would you sell them down to try and figure it out?

Can you think of any reason why holding onto a buy-to-let which is in arrears for more than 2 years makes sense to a landlord?

What do you think of the number of repossessions? At two years in arrears, would it be better or worse to just rip the plaster off for a lot of these landlords?

Jade2015 wrote: »
    <snip>

Hey jade , thanks for your kind words :)

Possibly you misjudged this and the point wasn't that tax had to be paid but it's the level of tax such a landlord must pay. In comparison to other forns of investment and other players in the rental market who pay a lot less taxes.

In terms of percentages, the level of tax (if I'm reading this post correctly) is not a million miles away from what gets deducted from my wages every month (between tax, PRSI and USC). It might seem unfair in the context of what larger investors unfairly get away with, but it doesn't seem punitively high as a tax on income - especially when you consider the ultimate rewards when the loans are paid off, etc.
    He took a big risk. Risk takers who see their risk pay off reap the rewards. You come across as being envious. If you want some of the pie what's stopping you taking a risk?

I'll tell you what's stopping me from taking a risk: I don't want 'some of the pie'. Because I'm not interested in pie. You know, it is possible to question or criticise something without jealousy having anything to do with it.

"You're only jealous" is not a valid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Fair play OP... Balls of steel for a 23 year old. Really hope it works out for you in 9 years and you start to get some of it back. It was a massive 800k punt that could have easily put you out on the street.

If someone said 15 years ago that it would be 16 years before your 800k investment would even start to cover its own costs, would you have done it?

Great thread.

Muppet man

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I have this discussion with people sometimes who have been given the false impression that landlords are coining it, and some are but plenty are reluctant landlords and many more are putting a lot of time and money into an asset that they hope will provide a return down the road.

I can give you figures that would scare you in relation to being a landlord and the people who are making the money off it are the banks first and foremost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

What is your opinion on the HAP? And, why is is so hard to find landlords that will accept it? Also, what is your opinion on landlords raising rent after tenants living in their property after 10 plus years? I say, fair play to you owning these properties and renting them. The renting game is fierce these days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Great AMA, I am non resident landlord and even with the reduced tax rate that brings I barely make a profit. One plumbers visit or maintenance issue and the profit is swallowed.

To the trolls who think being able to become a landlord is a privilege, you are dead right. It is a privilege to work hard, sacrifice, save hard to scrape together a deposit and put up with constant negativity from society.
    But... I will not be made feel ashamed or degraded for that privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Hi there,

4700 rent

Mortgage is 3450
    House insurance 100
    Prtb
    Lpt
    Maintaince and repairs

You're getting capital from the mortgage repayments every month.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Fair play OP... Balls of steel for a 23 year old. Really hope it works out for you in 9 years and you start to get some of it back. It was a massive 800k punt that could have easily put you out on the street.

If someone said 15 years ago that it would be 16 years before your 800k investment would even start to cover its own costs, would you have done it?

Great thread.

Muppet man

Hi I don't know if I would do it again to be honest
    I was 23 and signed for a 807k loan I was a bit niave to be honest
    I had never experienced a recession or even thought about one
    we were all being told that property was going to go up and up and up

McGaggs wrote: »
    You're getting capital from the mortgage repayments every month.

state the obvious !! :D:D
    re-read what I said again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Have you noticed any particular changes in the general behaviour/characteristics of tenants between 2004 and now or is it largely the same?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement