Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artemis Fowl

• 30-07-2013 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Walt Disney Pictures and The Weinstein Company are teaming up to bring Artemis Fowl, the series of eight science fiction fantasy novels written by author Eoin Colfer, to the big screen. This is fantastic news for the Irish author and for fans of the series.

Story

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Macumazan

Sarxos wrote: »
    Walt Disney Pictures and The Weinstein Company are teaming up to bring Artemis Fowl, the series of eight science fiction fantasy novels written by author Eoin Colfer, to the big screen. This is fantastic news for the Irish author and for fans of the series.

Story

This is really exciting! I read all of these last year and they're brilliant, hopefully will also put Ireland (or at least Tara) on the map too!

I wonder who they'll get to play Butler? Some appreciably huge Actor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

They have been going on about this for 10 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Should this not be something where they should have struck while the iron was hot??....Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games...

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Should this not be something where they should have struck while the iron was hot??....Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games...

It was the rights were bought when Harry Potter was big in the cienma about 10 years ago but it has been in development hell for years.

Yes, if you look in the article you'll see Eoin Colfer did help to draft a script for the first book but then it was consigned to Limbo. I think it's unlikely they'll use this- I do hope it's a live action film though, my reputation as a mature adult would suffer if it's an animated flick! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well Harry Potter and Twilight are done and The Hunger Games is only 3 books (sequel will be 2 movies each probably) so a big fantasy set kid/teen friendly franchise is pretty much guaranteed box office for a studio. It would have been lost in the wake of the HP movies if they'd released it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Sorry. To rephrase... Should they not have released the films when the core fanbase was still reading the books?....akin to Harry Potter, Twilight, etc, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Loved these books as a young one

• Registered Users Posts: 81,129 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Somewhere out there I hear someone telling a disney exec, "Stay back, human. You don't know what you're dealing with."

Better not be another Eragon or some such BS.

Overheal wrote: »
    Somewhere out there I hear someone telling a disney exec, "Stay back, human. You don't know what you're dealing with."

Better not be another Eragon or some such BS.

centaurian_sample.jpg

(Fairies a warning - the age of man is dawning).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

So here we are nearly five years later, and I happened to remember this and check for any news. According to this and other reports, filming was due to start in the UK early this year, with Kenneth Branagh directing. Cast includes Judi Dench as Commander Root, Josh Gad as Mulch Diggums, Lara McDonnell as Captain Holly Short, and Kilkenny native Ferdia Shaw débuts in the title role. Release is scheduled for 9 August 2019. The Weinstein Company is no longer involved for some reason ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I read a couple of those books. Pretty average for kids books. Not exactly His Dark Materials :) I mean fair play to Colfer. (Anything to keep him away from further destruction of Hitchhiker's Guide) but I wasn't engaged really. It's going to be a tough sell though. They'll obviously market it as the next Harry Potter but the book anyway certainly didn't have the depth or interesting characters that HP did. Decent script and give room to adapt and it could turn into a nice franchise but it'll take work. Especially the main character's story arc. their development happens over a couple of books but would need to happen within the first film really to appease to a wider audience and this would gut a good portion of the motivations.

Good luck to all involved but tough sell

• Registered Users Posts: 84,335 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Conor McPherson involved in the writing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I know nothing of this... but that trailer looks pretty cool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well it sure looks YA!

Likewise though, I know nothing of the books; who is the slightly creepy looking kid in the suit supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well it sure looks YA!

Likewise though, I know nothing of the books; who is the slightly creepy looking kid in the suit supposed to be?

Without giving anything away that's the title character. He's an Irish genius child criminal mastermind who plots to steal fairy treasure. Fairy/fantasy world is real but is very high tech (Which ]is actually a pretty good spin on the idea)

I wouldn't classify the books as YA. They'd be aimed a bit younger (IMHO).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Certainly sounds like it's aimed at a younger demographic; and looking at the trailer again I can see it now.

With that in mind, I wonder what expectations Disney have for this. Supposedly it has been in limbo for years now.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Certainly sounds like it's aimed at a younger demographic; and looking at the trailer again I can see it now.

With that in mind, I wonder what expectations Disney have for this. Supposedly it has been in limbo for years now.

Well Eoin Colfer first spoke to me about a film in the works about 16 years ago so yeah limbo for awhile. Some of the issues were creative control, film in Ireland Irish cast especially Artemis

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

I read most of the books and I hope the casting works for Artemis and the rest of the supporting cast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Eirpod99

Looking forward to it. The books are aimed at kids but adults can also enjoy them. My older daughter read them when she was around 9-10, my son who is 9 has read 7 out of 8. I have read all and although they are a bit simplistic, I enjoyed them and enjoyed my kids appreciating the modernisating of some traditionally "Oirish" elements of our culture such as LEPRecon being the Lower Elements Police RECONnaissance unit.
    The trailer looks good and I hope this is a hit. Harry Potter got millions of kids world wide reading and I hope this does the same.

Interesting fact: Ferdia Shaw is a grandson of Robert Shaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Eirpod99 wrote: »
    Looking forward to it. The books are aimed at kids but adults can also enjoy them. My older daughter read them when she was around 9-10, my son who is 9 has read 7 out of 8. I have read all and although they are a bit simplistic, I enjoyed them and enjoyed my kids appreciating the modernisating of some traditionally "Oirish" elements of our culture such as LEPRecon being the Lower Elements Police RECONnaissance unit.
    The trailer looks good and I hope this is a hit. Harry Potter got millions of kids world wide reading and I hope this does the same.

Interesting fact: Ferdia Shaw is a grandson of Robert Shaw.

my son liked the books too, will they keep the Irish angle to this? there were references to landmarks around the city centre etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nearly a year and half after the first trailer comes he second one.

May release date.

Appreciate there are fans of the books excited for this, but man it looks so ... I dunno, 2007. Like Disney found some Harry Potter coattails-riding book adaptation they forgot to release. A cautious pass from me, but the May release date suggests Disney possess some confidence this will do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Neither trailer does anything for me.

One of the lads in school absolutely loved the books.

I don't think fans of the book are looking forward to this as the film has changed so much of the book and changed the lead character so much that it is unrecognizable.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Getting a Jupiter Ascending/Valarian vibe from this unfortunately.

Would be great to have a huge Irish-created franchise but my money's on this flopping.

The News Reporter line "...some of the BIGGEST ROBBERIES..." had me cringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

A massive fan of the books but this is going to be the the Golden Compass of its time. Which is such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,335 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Men in Black kids :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This new trailer feels like it's aiming the film to be for a fairly young audience.

Advertisement