Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which quad

• 29-02-2020 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

I am in the market for a quad, despite saying that I would never allow one about the place.

My requirements are for a good reliable quad that will last 10-15 years. I am going to want it to get cows in morning and evening on a very flat, very dry farm. The jobs I see it doing is collecting cows, spot spraying, lugging a bit of feed to cattle and not too much else. Maybe in time a small spinner to spread paddocks after cows move on.

Would a 250cc 2wd do me or would I want to go on to a 420cc machine?

Edited to say I want to go new. Too many horror stories about other lads ****e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If you're considering a new quad.
    Consider one of these when you're at it.

20190811-201241.jpg

You might as well have a bit of comfort and safety.
    You should get one the price of a new quad maybe even cheaper.

This business imports them into the country.
    http://www.4x4.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭mayota

Grueller wrote: »
    I am in the market for a quad, despite saying that I would never allow one about the place.

My requirements are for a good reliable quad that will last 10-15 years. I am going to want it to get cows in morning and evening on a very flat, very dry farm. The jobs I see it doing is collecting cows, spot spraying, lugging a bit of feed to cattle and not too much else. Maybe in time a small spinner to spread paddocks after cows move on.

I’d go a Yamaha 350 4wd, nice agile quad with switchable 4wd. Very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

Honda 350 here & wouldn't be without it, do everything you need except fertiliser.
    I know people say they're not as well built nowadays, hear a lot of good reviews on the can-am but pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What about a older 4wd jeep or pickup, which is far more comfortable than any quad - with a roof/windows, seatbelts, heater, radio, air conditioning etc.

Years ago I used to herd the cows (sucklers), pull a landroller/roll the fields and feed out meal with a passenger Vogue. It was better than any quad cause I could bring the boys when they were young including the baby seat, bottles, nappies, changing pad etc and the dogs had enough room in the boot space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    What about a older 4wd jeep or pickup, which is far more comfortable than any quad - with a roof/windows, seatbelts, heater, radio, air conditioning etc.

Years ago I used to herd the cows (sucklers), pull a landroller/roll the fields and feed out meal with a passenger Vogue. It was better than any quad cause I could bring the boys when they were young including the baby seat, bottles, nappies, changing pad etc and the dogs had enough room in the boot space.

Quad is very easy on land ,I'd love the comfort of the suzuki but difficult to reach the lever on the snacker/fertiliser spreader .
    I see some jobsworth fined a farmer for red diesel in a farm only jeep last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

20190811-201241.jpg

Is that yours? Whats the ground clearance like? Can it be taxed for the road?
    I might have to go look at yours!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not nimble enough. A quad would be the quickest and most nimble for what I want.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Is that yours? Whats the ground clearance like? Can it be taxed for the road?
    I might have to go look at yours!!!

Yea it's mine.

That's not taxed but there's some that bought after me that have theirs taxed and road registered.

I've never got stuck with it yet.
    Yea sure pm me whenever you want a look.

Not nimble enough. A quad would be the quickest and most nimble for what I want.
    Just be very careful with a quad. I know I sound like your Mother but get one with a roll bar attached for your own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Had a yamaha bruin 350 here for about 12 years from new. Good quad, no gears with only forward and reverse. It was a big plus for us because if you went into a corner after a sheep it can go straight into reverse. It put up with a lot of hard work and got rolled a few times and was fine. Did a top speed of about 70km/h maybe a bit over it.

• Advertisement

Just be very careful with a quad. I know I sound like your Mother but get one with a roll bar attached for your own safety.

Thanks BP. I am 40ish now so my days of emulating Steve McQueen are done I am afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Not so sure about a roll bar. Thought there was studies showing that roll bar was more of a hazard.

On my 3rd quad here, never a problem if you respect it. And it is used on rough very rough mountain terrain.

500 Honda foreman at the minute. I cant fault it.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Not so sure about a roll bar. Thought there was studies showing that roll bar was more of a hazard.

On my 3rd quad here, never a problem if you respect it. And it is used on rough very rough mountain terrain.

500 Honda foreman at the minute. I cant fault it.
    Oh I thought that at this stage there was EU health and safety legislation in place for quad bikes?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

davidk1394 wrote: »
    It put up with a lot of hard work and got rolled a few times and was fine.

Ard_MC wrote: »

Hmmm I know which of yous I think should consider the quadtruck instead lol. No offence David but was the 1st time the quad got rolled not enough to scare the hell outa yas not to do it again haha? Anyone who steps on the quad here needs to know how to ride it correctly, proper weight transfer, standing up when necessary, and then respect their speed and others around.

But on the quad front, I got a 250 honda 2wd, it has plenty of power, lightweight and does everything that I need it to, including pulling a 6x4ft trailer regularly. Cost 5k new a yr ago which is several grand less than almost any other larger engine quad. OP the only one thing that you might need anything over a 250 is you said lugging abit of feed, do you mean round bales or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmmm I know which of yous I think should consider the quadtruck instead lol. No offence David but was the 1st time the quad got rolled not enough to scare the hell outa yas not to do it again haha? Anyone who steps on the quad here needs to know how to ride it correctly, proper weight transfer, standing up when necessary, and then respect their speed and others around.

Agreed , I've a friend that only got to roll it once ,he's paralyzed from the neck down now

But on the quad front, I got a 250 honda 2wd, it has plenty of power, lightweight and does everything that I need it to, including pulling a 6x4ft trailer regularly. Cost 5k new a yr ago which is several grand less than almost any other larger engine quad. OP the only one thing that you might need anything over a 250 is you said lugging abit of feed, do you mean round bales or what?

God no on the round bales. That's a tractor job. I mean a few buckets or bags of feed.
    I can buy a new Honda 250 for €6k at the minute. I haven't priced any other brands.
    Who did you buy from Timmay?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

Have a Honda 500 foreman here now and Honda 450 before that. Great reliability with the Honda. Top resale value also. Would think a 250 a bit small if you ever get a spreader. A 420 would be a safer bet. Wouldn't totally rule out a Yamaha as people that have them say they are more comfortable to drive but not sure how they would last the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Bought a quadzilla cf motto quad last year for what u outlined ,perfect for the job for circa 6 k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I put the old honda quad on its side when i was younger and then the Yamaha was put on its side by another family member. Got rid of it in 2016 because it wasn't being used. I have a berlingo van with the last 2 years and I'd be lost without it. Goes around all the fields fine.

20190811-201241.jpg

It you are going through a lot of gates etc having to get in and out all the time would be a pain. I’d either get a quad or a jeep, that yoke would be too in the middle for me, Jack of all trades master of none.

• Advertisement

It you are going through a lot of gates etc having to get in and out all the time would be a pain. I’d either get a quad or a jeep, that yoke would be too in the middle for me, Jack of all trades master of none.

Jeeps wreck fields. This hasn't got the weight of a jeep.
    I'm even able to pull the pigtails up from a strip wire out through the window and toss them behind me on the deck from the cab.
    Ah you'd have to have one to really see what it's about.
    You can stick a bale of hay or straw on the back too. You can't do that with a jeep or other utv's. Same with 6ft stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Honda, Honda, Honda.

I've had 3.

A 2001 450 Foreman, which a friend of mine still uses.
    A 2009 Trx500 and a 2009 trx680.

Utterly reliable.
    The 680 has fuel injection and Independent Rear Suspension and is very comfortable.

For farmwork I'd get one with electric gear shift (not full automatic).

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Bazzer007

How about a Kubota rtv or JD gator. I have an rtv without doors, easy to hop in & out & very safe. Tipper on the back for carrying feed, bales & fencing posts etc. Had a quad but way prefer the rtv. I use it most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Honda Foreman 450 here the last few years & can't fault it. As above, a bit of respect & know how to balance yourself on it is a priority.
    Often pull the cattle trailer about with it, or the old milk tanker full of water for the powerwasher. We needed the 4WD with all the hills & wet land here but you'd get away with 2WD on flat, dry land.

Ours was ex-ESB, so high hours but feck all hard work with it & a very fair price. Only ever needed a general service & new brushes in the starter since we got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    Agreed , I've a friend that only got to roll it once ,he's paralyzed from the neck down now

I know a lad who rolled his last year after a sheep turned and went in underneath quad
    flipping it over. Fractured his scull and broke ribs. Still not fully recovered near a year later. He feels extremely lucky though as another lad up the country did the exact same a week later and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

i'm thinking of upgrading my old honda 350 to a 250, i don't need 4 wheel drive, any recommendations on which honda dealer, pm if you prefer, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

There are these roll protection thing that aren't fully solid but enough to prevent a crush scenario I think grasstec were selling em. Tbh I won't get a quad here, the nieces and nephews are growing up on a house on the farm and I just don't want any more risk about the place. A trip to the NRH would open your eyes to how small things can be life changing

God no on the round bales. That's a tractor job. I mean a few buckets or bags of feed.
    I can buy a new Honda 250 for €6k at the minute. I haven't priced any other brands.
    Who did you buy from Timmay?

https://www.wilsonsofrathkenny.co.uk/agri/stock/brand-new-honda-trx-250-tm-/36549/

Stg not as good now so will be more like 5300e including 20% uk vat.

https://www.wilsonsofrathkenny.co.uk/agri/stock/brand-new-honda-trx-250-tm-/36549/

Stg not as good now so will be more like 5300e including 20% uk vat.

Actually make that 5100e now, stg jumped from 84 to 87p/e over the weekend lol.

• Advertisement

Jeeps wreck fields. This hasn't got the weight of a jeep.
    I'm even able to pull the pigtails up from a strip wire out through the window and toss them behind me on the deck from the cab.
    Ah you'd have to have one to really see what it's about.
    You can stick a bale of hay or straw on the back too. You can't do that with a jeep or other utv's. Same with 6ft stakes.

What weight is it? Lighter than a pajero junior?

Advertisement