Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting back into golf, need some advice on clubs

• 28-02-2020 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm getting back into golf, I went to the driving range and hit a few balls for the first time in a good year.
    I was hitting the ball well.
    I'm 22, fairly athletic and I was hitting the driver around 260 or so.

There's a couple of things with my clubs..
    They're all quite old, which is grand but I just don't want to be held back by them.

Drivers a Callway Razr Fit Xtreme, stiff shaft 65.5g, I hit it well but I've been hooking it too, when I'd usually slice if anything.
    Same goes for Irons, they're Mizuno MX25s, great irons but the grips are worn to hell, they're fairly banged up/rusty in spots and they're a regular flex shaft, not sure if I need something stiffer.
    I've also got a mixed bag in terms of woods and wedges, it's just whatever was lying around the garage, right lofts but I've got one good vokey, 1 rust face old cleveland some mizuno sandwedge and my woods there's a ping g20 and rapture..

I don't know if I should look at changing the driver/shaft, changing or just regripping the irons.. and/or getting a matching set for my wedges, maybe the woods too.
    At this stage I'm not sure if it'd be worth getting fitted for clubs or not.
    I'm off around 17, or I was anyway but I'll be putting in a lot of hours going forward.
    What do ye lot think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

The 2016 or 17 M2 would be a decent upgrade on the driver.
    Irons as long as they are doing what u want maybe just new grips there has been no great leap forward on them.
    Same with hybrids and fairways if they are filling gaps that is what they are for they dont have to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

If you can hit that driver 260 yards like you say you can after a year out of golf then I wouldn’t be changing it anytime soon. You are already longer than 90 per cent of club golfers out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

rooney30 wrote: »
    If you can hit that driver 260 yards like you say you can after a year out of golf then I wouldn’t be changing it anytime soon. You are already longer than 90 per cent of club golfers out there

I'm being 100% serious, my longest drive was around the 280 mark, I bet out the Munster rugby teams longest drive comp, shame I couldn't flag it!

I'm around 5'7, but I've always been a big hitter, probably from belting so many old water balls down the back field.

I'm not always the most consistent with it, there's days where I'm consistently slicing it onto the next fairway.
    If I have it going straight I have it going a solid 260, but I don't get a huge amount of roll from it.. probably something to do with the marsh like conditions.

Advertisement