Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Stand - CBS All Access - (**Spoilers**)

• 02-08-2019 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭

Stephen King is to write the final episode.

James Marsden has been cast as Stu Redman, Amber Heard will play Nadine Cross.

Stephen King will not only write the ninth and final episode of CBS All Access’ adaptation of The Stand, he will also provide a new coda that didn’t exist in his 1978 novel.

The Stand presents an apocalyptic vision of a world decimated by plague and embroiled in an elemental struggle between good and evil. The fate of mankind rests on the frail shoulders of the 108-year-old other Mother Abagail and a handful of survivors. Their worst nightmares are embodied in a man with a lethal smile and unspeakable powers — Randall Flagg, the Dark Man.

https://tvline.com/2019/08/01/the-stand-tv-series-stephen-king-adding-coda-to-story/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Found it an extremely boring and drawn out book and the mini series did nothing to better it
    Cannot see a series doing anything more to add to it unless they go a completely different direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

fritzelly wrote: »
    Found it an extremely boring and drawn out book and the mini series did nothing to better it
    Cannot see a series doing anything more to add to it unless they go a completely different direction.

Loved the book. Series was terrible imo.

Loved the book. Series was terrible imo.

Was reading a lot of SK stuff at the time, maybe I OD'd too much on his writing style which can seem repetitive. it's many many years ago when I read it

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Loved the book, loved the mini-series. I'm on board for this.

I remember getting the first part of the mini-series out from Xtravision while I was in college. I went back to Xtravision before they closed to get the second part. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Only ever saw the mini series. Couldn't remember anything like it at the time.

Real shock value to the start when I hadn't a clue. I guess I'd recommend people go into the story blind if they can. Although it might seem like some other stories nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Henry Zaga has been cast as Nick.

Odessa Young has been cast as Frannie.

I be interested to see who the cast as Flagg and will the same actor cross over into The Dark Tower series being made by Amazon as that would be epic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Quite an age gap between Marsden's Stu and Odessa Young's Fran. About 24 years. While he was a fair older than her in the book too, I don't think the age gap was so great. I wonder if they are dropping the romance.

Whoopi Goldberg cast as Mother Abagail.

Whoopi Goldberg cast as Mother Abagail.

That works

Brad William Henke cast as Tom Cullen

M-O-O-N that spells that is two good castings I think myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

Why would you hire King, a man notorious for writing weak endings that fizzle out, to conclude the story?
    The Stand is one of the more infamous Stephen King ending fails.
    Ending as it does with a deus ex-machina in which nothing the characters have done on their grand quest has any consequence or impact on the outcome of the story.
    It doesn't sound as if he's intent on changing the ending, so I don't quite see the point outside of being able to use his involvement as part of the marketing.

Heather Graham cast as Rita Blakemoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Henry Zaga has been cast as Nick.

Odessa Young has been cast as Frannie.

I be interested to see who the cast as Flagg and will the same actor cross over into The Dark Tower series being made by Amazon as that would be epic.

Alexander Skarsgard is Flagg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I really hope this avoids A Handmaid's Tale scenario & stops at the what's in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

I really hope this stops at something other than what's in the book because the ending of the book is god-awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Ah yes, The Maradona ending. Right up there with one of Kings worst endings, and that's saying something.

Yeah after reading such a beast of a book, that ending was a bit 'WTF?' :confused:

It's still an unreal journey and story, but it deserved a better conclusion.

Greg Kinnear cast as Glen

I like that casting. Ray Walston was great in the mini series but I always felt he was to old for the role.

They are putting together a great cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Mr E wrote: »
    Loved the book, loved the mini-series. I'm on board for this.

I remember getting the first part of the mini-series out from Xtravision while I was in college. I went back to Xtravision before they closed to get the second part. :)

:D:D Same. Come from a small village and rented part 1 from the local shop. Finished it at around 11:30 and was sent down by my family to get part 2 (had to go through the pub that was still open to get it!). As far as I recall it they were 3 hours each :eek:

Coming towards the end of the year:
    They just gave a little update on CBS's new version of Stephen King's The Stand. It'll come in the 4th quarter of 2020.

https://twitter.com/AaronFlux/status/1216475281176678400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Slydice wrote: »
    Coming towards the end of the year:
    Its been 30 years since my one and only read of The Stand.

When I hear about the way Covid-19 is traversing the globe, I can't help but think of the start of the book! King was really ahead of his time in dreaming up future nightmares!

geecee wrote: »

When I hear about the way Covid-19 is traversing the globe, I can't help but think of the start of the book! King was really ahead of his time in dreaming up future nightmares!

I haven't read the book but based on what I remember of the 90s series, that sounds similar to what was in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Alexander Skarsgard is Flagg.

Is this a deliberate choice to tie in with the King multiverse?
    I wonder?

geecee wrote: »

Give Dean Koontz, “The Eyes of Darkness” a read.

banie01 wrote: »
    Is this a deliberate choice to tie in with the King multiverse?
    I wonder?

Different studios. Also, it’s his brother that plays the other guy :)

I think a Sk universe would be gold on the ground, I can’t see why one of the major streaming giants hasn’t aggressively pursued SK and his properties to build a universe. His adaptations have always been very fragmented.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭banie01

kerplun k wrote: »
    Different studios. Also, it’s his brother that plays the other guy :)

Oh I know it's his brother, but a cheap way to weave a little "is it-isnt it" narrative onto a story that ties across so many of King's other work.

Any of the studios aiming to take on that universe as King has woven it would be brave, but it could be amazing.

Captain Trips!

I wonder how filming is going for this.

Captain Trips!

I wonder how filming is going for this.

Like everything else, I’d imagine it’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

First look on Vanity Fair, via /Film.

• Advertisement

Looks a bit flashy

Advertisement