Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

regedit wrote: »
    I had a guy over a few years ago who was opposed to them as he said they slow down connection dramatically etc so he removed them...

I must have a look. What versions of Orbi did you get? There seems to be a myriad of options?
    Someone recommended I go with Ubiquity: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BYR6XDW/?coliid=I2XQOW7OIFX3T7&colid=2PR2A8AIVM2LD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I got this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079W15TM9/ref=psdc_430579031_t1_B07T4CJBDG

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Forgive my noobness here, but would a home plug not do?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

beertons wrote: »
    Ring IT Monkey.

Don't laugh. That's the company name. They'll send you right.

They only deal with commercial entities...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭beertons

regedit wrote: »
    They only deal with commercial entities...

Ask for MJ. Tell who ever you got his details off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

skD13 wrote: »
    The issue of an explosion in Naas growth is certainly worthy of discussion. See these articles:

https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/new-homes/walk-in-the-park-for-commuters-in-naas-38971921.html
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/applications-for-961-new-homes-in-dublin-and-meath-rejected-1.4177817?mode=amp

From the first article: "The Eircode area with the most new homes built in 2019 was Naas, Co Kildare, with 829 dwellings completed in the commuter town compared to 300 for all of Dublin 1 and 2, according to the Central Statistics Office."

And in the second article there is detail of another 314 permissions to Carin by Bord Pleanala recently.

The N7 has gotten significantly busier in the last 3 to 4 years. I used to be able to use it regularly enough for a Dublin north commute, but now I rely almost exclusively on back roads. The train line from Sallins is very busy. I hear this from neighbours and see the reports online and on Twitter.

I love Naas since we moved here. Schools are working out fine for me as my kids are that bit older, but I wonder about the next tranche of Naas residents moving into all these new homes. I just wonder if our planners are properly thinking through all this development explosion? Of course we are in the midst of housing crisis and I don't want to seem NIMBYish in any way, but I do hope the planners are thinking this through in terms of infrastructure.
    Our planners aren’t thinking about any of it. The key to any successful area is movement of people and Naas has no transport system whatsoever. Unlike most other major commuter towns, there is no LEAP integration or caps on buses. This means that a commute from Kill to Maynooth for a student can cost up to 70€ per week. Compared to other commuter towns, they are capped at 20€ per week.

I’m like a broken record talking about this but the level of service in Naas is just astounding when you look at comparable places. All I see in Naas are a bunch of unorganised coaches, no numbers, no liveries, no common/integrated fare - nobody has a clue where anything is going. Only the 126 accepts the LEAP card and that bus is a rip off. Compare this to Greystones, Bray or Maynooth. It’s like another world. How are people in certain parts of Naas supposed to get around? There are housing estates 25+ minute walks from bus stops. Find me a road in Bray that doesn’t have a Dublin bus stop.

The N7 is clogged. And will get even worse with these thousands more people moving to naas. Will they put on more buses? Nope. Will they add Sallins to the DART expansion programme? Nope. Will they change anything? Nope. Everyone in Naas is expected to drive. Horrible quality of life, especially for a student.

People should take a look at this picture and send it to elected representatives who are doing a terrible job when it comes to this. If Maynooth, Celbridge, greystones, Newtownmountkennedy, Blessington, bray, even Ballyknockan, can have the 2,50€ fare, LEAP caps, and LEAP transfer, why can’t Naas? Doesn’t make any sense to me. https://m.imgur.com/X7aeLpm (cost of one journey to city centre). That really puts things into perspective of how ****ed Naas is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Tomrota wrote: »
    Our planners aren’t thinking about any of it. The key to any successful area is movement of people and Naas has no transport system whatsoever. Unlike most other major commuter towns, there is no LEAP integration or caps on buses. This means that a commute from Kill to Maynooth for a student can cost up to 70€ per week. Compared to other commuter towns, they are capped at 20€ per week.

I’m like a broken record talking about this but the level of service in Naas is just astounding when you look at comparable places. All I see in Naas are a bunch of unorganised coaches, no numbers, no liveries, no common/integrated fare - nobody has a clue where anything is going. Only the 126 accepts the LEAP card and that bus is a rip off. Compare this to Greystones, Bray or Maynooth. It’s like another world. How are people in certain parts of Naas supposed to get around? There are housing estates 25+ minute walks from bus stops. Find me a road in Bray that doesn’t have a Dublin bus stop.

The N7 is clogged. And will get even worse with these thousands more people moving to naas. Will they put on more buses? Nope. Will they add Sallins to the DART expansion programme? Nope. Will they change anything? Nope. Everyone in Naas is expected to drive. Horrible quality of life, especially for a student.

People should take a look at this picture and send it to elected representatives who are doing a terrible job when it comes to this. If Maynooth, Celbridge, greystones, Newtownmountkennedy, Blessington, bray, even Ballyknockan, can have the 2,50€ fare, LEAP caps, and LEAP transfer, why can’t Naas? Doesn’t make any sense to me. https://m.imgur.com/X7aeLpm (cost of one journey to city centre). That really puts things into perspective of how ****ed Naas is.

This is so true, not only is the bus service a rip off, it is completely unreliable. Although it has improved under goahead it’s just a messy mishmash of random coaches. It’s such a shame, if we had a bus service it would dramatically improve the traffic situation.

Imagine if you had a cheap service every 15 mins, you would have the freedom just to turn up at the stop and wait for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Sad to see Trax will be closing this summer was a good spot in a fab building. Anybody have any news/idea what will become of the farmers market ?

Valhallapt wrote: »
    This is so true, not only is the bus service a rip off, it is completely unreliable. Although it has improved under goahead it’s just a messy mishmash of random coaches. It’s such a shame, if we had a bus service it would dramatically improve the traffic situation.

Imagine if you had a cheap service every 15 mins, you would have the freedom just to turn up at the stop and wait for the next one.
    Don’t imagine, they can do that in Bray. They have the 145 which is like every five minutes, the 155, the 184, the 185, the 84, and the 45a. They also have the DART. They can get anywhere near them in Wicklow and anywhere in Dublin that they want. And here in Naas we’re stuck with the outrageously expensive and unreliable 126, and a plethora of random white coaches which extort money out of people. And that 139, possibly the worst service I’ve ever witnessed in my life. It doesn’t even have bus stops and it doesn’t pick up or drop off people in certain places. JJ kavanagh must be sending brown envelopes to the NTA, they’re making a fortune from Naas’ transport situation, or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭pad199207

Don’t imagine, they can do that in Bray. They have the 145 which is like every five minutes, the 155, the 184, the 185, the 84, and the 45a. They also have the DART. They can get anywhere near them in Wicklow and anywhere in Dublin that they want. And here in Naas we’re stuck with the outrageously expensive and unreliable 126, and a plethora of random white coaches which extort money out of people. And that 139, possibly the worst service I’ve ever witnessed in my life. It doesn’t even have bus stops and it doesn’t pick up or drop off people in certain places. JJ kavanagh must be sending brown envelopes to the NTA, they’re making a fortune from Naas’ transport situation, or lack thereof.

Exactly. Naas needs city buses every 15 mins into town just like Celbridge, Maynooth and Leixlip. But not just through the town centre, a Dublin bus route for example that goes around the town, Monread, Pipers Hill, Ballycane, Limerick Road Areas, Sallins, Millennium Park. JJ Kav has too much leverage around the town. Those JJ routes should be given over to Dublin Bus or Go Ahead especially the 139 which basically serves the Outer Dublin Suburbs.

Leap needs to be dominant travel payment or even the Dublin bus coin way. The delays that cash payments on coaches is just unacceptable for a suburb the size of Naas.

They should get rid of coaches and use city buses instead. Much more quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

pad199207 wrote: »
    Exactly. Naas needs city buses every 15 mins into town just like Celbridge, Maynooth and Leixlip. But not just through the town centre, a Dublin bus route for example that goes around the town, Monread, Pipers Hill, Ballycane, Limerick Road Areas, Sallins, Millennium Park. JJ Kav has too much leverage around the town. Those JJ routes should be given over to Dublin Bus or Go Ahead especially the 139 which basically serves the Outer Dublin Suburbs.

Leap needs to be dominant travel payment or even the Dublin bus coin way. The delays that cash payments on coaches is just unacceptable for a suburb the size of Naas.

They should get rid of coaches and use city buses instead. Much more quicker.

not sure about that idea for buses every 15min. everyone in naas has a car. cant see a market for that. nobody would be on that bus. isnt there one already that goes from monread to pippershill anyway.

ive gotten the bus back from dublin city to naas during the day on the bus. i was the only person on the bus a few of those times, my fare wouldnt have paid for the diesel let alone the bus or wages.

my idea is to make one whole lane of the n7 a bus lane. imagine getting from naas to dublin in 20min every morning on the bus while it takes a car 1hr20min. no political will for this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭granturismo

my idea is to make one whole lane of the n7 a bus lane. imagine getting from naas to dublin in 20min every morning on the bus while it takes a car 1hr20min. no political will for this though.

There's no way a bus will make it from Naas to Heuston station never mind O'Connell st in 20 minutes. There's the pesky M50 flyover and various traffic lights and luas crossings to contend with. The closer the Naas bus gets to the city centre it will have to stop Dublin bus's at their stops when the outer lanes are full.

I'm in favour of improving public transport and extending the leap card region. The 139 route is a welcome addition but has its faults (no live tracking for one) so a few new bus timetables could be introduced for Naas and see what happens.

i said 20 min to dublin, not dublin city centre. it would be possible for a bus to get from naas to citywest, Dublin in 20min if there was a bus lane.

I dont think a ferrari at 4am on a sunday night would get you from naas to o connell street in 20min.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

not sure about that idea for buses every 15min. everyone in naas has a car. cant see a market for that. nobody would be on that bus. isnt there one already that goes from monread to pippershill anyway.

ive gotten the bus back from dublin city to naas during the day on the bus. i was the only person on the bus a few of those times, my fare wouldnt have paid for the diesel let alone the bus or wages.

So you don't want more frequent buses, yet you want to dedicate a whole lane to buses?

i said 20 min to dublin, not dublin city centre. ...

Dublin's a big place, so now you want to go from Naas to Citywest.

Where would you get off, the N7 and then the bus goes in towards Heston. If Citywest was a stop, where would the route extend to - Tallaght, Belfield, Sandyford?

This is the exact reason why Naas doesn't have public transport. I would love to use the bus, but I've been let down so many times I avoid it and only use it as a last resort. It's awful so no one uses it. When the buses do eventually show they are incredibly slow.

The people of Naas are actively disincentivized to use public transport.

If you have frequency, people can just turn up at the stop and hop on the next bus, takes all the planning and fear out of the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Valhallapt wrote: »
    This is the exact reason why Naas doesn't have public transport. I would love to use the bus, but I've been let down so many times I avoid it and only use it as a last resort. It's awful so no one uses it. When the buses do eventually show they are incredibly slow.

The people of Naas are actively disincentivized to use public transport.

If you have frequency, people can just turn up at the stop and hop on the next bus, takes all the planning and fear out of the equation.

Could they not run a Luas type system up the center of the N7 to the Red Cow?

Well i'd imaging that be a bit expensive :-)

But I can't see why you couldn't have 4 buses an hour leaving naas, 2 direct to dublin city at .00 and .30 then two at .15 and .45 to luas, connect there to luas, air coach, wexford bus etc...

That would take years of road works and
    The Luas is a light rail system, it is not designed for long distance travel. It already takes close for an hour to get from Saggart to Connoly on the Luas. It would take way too long from Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

They could put some more bus shelters up too. That way people who are forced to wait ages for late buses don't get p*ssed on.

The feeder bus to the train station is also rubbish and parking at the train station is not sufficient at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

They could put some more bus shelters up too. That way people who are forced to wait ages for late buses don't get p*ssed on.

The feeder bus to the train station is also rubbish and parking at the train station is not sufficient at the minute.

Details about the feeder bus seem to be on a need to know basis.Also,rather than simply having designated stops,it seems to pick people up at any point along the Sallins Rd,which really slows things down if you're unfortunate enough to be stuck behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

The Luas is a light rail system, it is not designed for long distance travel. It already takes close for an hour to get from Saggart to Connoly on the Luas. It would take way too long from Naas.

I can understand members of the public not understanding this, but during recent elections at least two electoral candidates were campaigning claiming to propose running the luas down to Blessington or Naas.

As WhatsGoingOn2 said, it's reasonably clear that the luas is light rail designed for urban areas with only a few mins between stops in reasonably densely populated areas. Imagine being on the luas as it went down the N7 or N81 stretch for 20+ mins.

For me that ruled out my vote immediately if a electoral candidate doesn't have the slightest clue of feasibility for transport concerns.

A proper railway is the only feasible way to run this type of service to either of those locations.

I can understand members of the public not understanding this, but during recent elections at least two electoral candidates were campaigning claiming to propose running the luas down to Blessington or Naas.

As WhatsGoingOn2 said, it's reasonably clear that the luas is light rail designed for urban areas with only a few mins between stops in reasonably densely populated areas. Imagine being on the luas as it went down the N7 or N81 stretch for 20+ mins.

For me that ruled out my vote immediately if a electoral candidate doesn't have the slightest clue of feasibility for transport concerns.

A proper railway is the only feasible way to run this type of service to either of those locations.
    As I keep saying, they should build a DART station with a park and ride capable of holding thousands of vehicles across from Odeon Naas in that abandoned site. Perfectly accessible for all Kill-Naas-Sallins-Johnstown, and would also work for those even further out in Newbridge or whatever. They could also have a lot of different DUBLIN BUS services from this park and ride to different areas of the city, and even different areas of North Kildare. Example, for someone who works in Intel or attends Maynooth and lives in Monread or Kill.

As it stands almost all journeys are conducted using a car in Naas. There are two bus services, 126 and 139, which are ridiculously overpriced and don’t connect with any other transport system.

I don’t care if there’s a feeder bus or a random JJ kavanagh coach going god knows where with a piece of paper on the front of it. A somewhat competent transport system requires buses to have a common livery, common fare, a number, integration with other transport services, and actual bus stops. The 139 doesn’t even have bus stops, doesn’t have LEAP 90 discount, fare capping, isn’t included on the rambler ticket, and still accepts cash. Nobody should find this acceptable when places like Maynooth, Celbridge, Greystones, Blessington, etc etc etc don’t have to deal with these problems.

What a complete fragmented mess Naas is. Anyone who cares for their children in the area (when they go to college) should be campaigning to local TD’s who have done absolutely nothing, Kildare county council, and the NTA. There is huge demand for it, but nobody seems to do anything about it. Demand for buses isn’t just for no reason lower in Naas, it’s hindered because of lack of services, fare expense and complexity, lack of integration, lack of bus stops (you could drive for ten minutes in naas without seeing one), and fragmentation of the system (politicians think JJ kavanagh bus is a success for the area, rather than proper public transport like Dublin bus).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Burst water main in Sallins, expected to be fixed by 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

yermandan wrote: »
    Burst water main in Sallins, expected to be fixed by 9pm

Thats why the traffic is so heavy on The Monread then?

Thats why the traffic is so heavy on The Monread then?

Yeah I think so! My Dad also mentioned a 3 car pile up earlier this afternoon but that should be well cleared now

Yeah I think so! My Dad also mentioned a 3 car pile up earlier this afternoon but that should be well cleared now

Traffic has been diabolical in Naas all day, even at 13:00. Took me longer to get from Naas town to Monread today than from UCD to Naas.

Traffic has been diabolical in Naas all day, even at 13:00. Took me longer to get from Naas town to Monread today than from UCD to Naas.

That must've been the 3 car pile-up so. The water main burst at 10am so probably affected it too

That must've been the 3 car pile-up so. The water main burst at 10am so probably affected it too
    Left the town at around 16:00, got to Tesco extra at around 17:15 via the Sallins road. Worst traffic I’ve seen since the M7 works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Folks, looking for someone to build a timber/plasterboard partition wall. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

just on the transport and people talking about the feeder bus. the timetable is on irish rail website. if you look at the pdf for sallins station to dublin timetables it shows the feeder. i wouldnt trust it to go to the station. but its very handy when you get off a train and its just waiting there to bring you into central naas. the guys driving it are always very pleasant and it will drop you exactly where you want to if its on the route.

i love the train. even if its busy, its still only 20-30min sallins to heuston. not exactly central dublin, but its a nice enough walk beside the luas tracks along the museum and the north side (benburb street). which is about another 20 minutes. But at least you will be getting close to the 10,000 steps a day with that walk.

And to mention its usually on time. ive lived in london and there are far more problems with uk trains being late due to signaling failures.

So big up the train.

Feel free to disagree with me, but if you are going to be negative, please offer something positive as well. tks

Advertisement