Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big risk?

Options
  • 27-02-2020 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Need to move a car on Sat. Its been declared off road since sept.

I am not going to pay for the full month of Feb just to drive it 30k on Sat. ( given its the 29th Feb too ) -

Am i taking a big risk of having to pay the whole 6months back ?

Chances of being caught ?

South Dublin to rural Meath

I am going to tax it.from March 1st btw.

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

get someone to drive a few miles ahead to warn of checkpoints or wait til Sunday if that is an option

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Trailer/tow it.
    Risk is points/fine/and back tax....not worth it, plus the fact
    every guard on boards will now be waiting for you:P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Need to move a car on Sat. Its been declared off road since sept.

I am not going to pay for the full month of Feb just to drive it 30k on Sat. ( given its the 29th Feb too ) -

Am i taking a big risk of having to pay the whole 6months back ?

Chances of being caught ?
    th
    South Dublin to rural Meath

I am going to tax it.from March 1st btw.

Ta

Weird, I have to do the same thing myself on Saturday, though from West Dublin to City Centre.

I'm gonna book it for an NCT and as I will be moving it for "repairs" I should be okay if in the unlikely event I am pulled over.

In your case you could plead ignorant about the date (29th) and say you were gonna tax it on the first yada yada.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Weird, I have to do the same thing myself on Saturday, though from West Dublin to City Centre.

I'm gonna book it for an NCT and as I will be moving it for "repairs" I should be okay if in the unlikely event I am pulled over.

In your case you could plead ignorant about the date (29th) and say you were gonna tax it on the first yada yada.

My intention was to tax it for 1st and then claim i thought it WAS the first on Sat ðŸ˜

But you cant Pre tax your car ! Stupid system really. And its become totally unfair.

I dont think having no tax is a points offence is it ? If it is its a fookin stupid one !

There's no penalty points for invalid road tax.

Honestly, if the car is insured and NCT'd, you'd be hard pressed to find a right d!ckhead to do you on Saturday.

Admittedly driving when it's declared off-road is worse than driving with expired tax.

I'd drive it if it was me.

You can legally drive it while it is declared off-road if you have a booked NCT and it is being moved for repairs to make it roadworthy. So you do have an easy legal out there. Book an NCT for sometime in March, print out the confirmation and stick it in the window and cancel it when you tax it on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you're going to tax it anyway on March 1st, why take the risk for a reward of one months motor tax saving? Just tax it and be done with it.

If you have booked the car in for an NCT and bring proof with you, you will probably get away with it if stopped even with the car officially off the road and untaxed. Tell the Garda that you are driving it to your garage for repairs. As per BonnieSituation's suggestion. Is that the reason you are moving the car anwyay? I would also bring proof of insurance and the VLC just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

not having an NCT is more serious than avoiding paying tax. There's a safety element to it. I'd advise checking if you are insured with no NCT, more serious again.

Isambard wrote: »
    not having an NCT is more serious than avoiding paying tax. There's a safety element to it. I'd advise checking if you are insured with no NCT, more serious again.

Rob isn't an amateur and I'd be almost certain the car is spick and span, however I get his problem re tax.

As I stated above, you can legally drive a car with no NCT and with it declared off the road if it has a booked NCT and is being moved for repair or heading to a NCT test or returning from an NCT test. It is a sufficiently vague set of circumstances and should be covered.

Re insurance, its validity is predicated on what you are doing being legal. So it is perfectly fine to drive a car with no NCT and/or with it declared off the road provided it has a booked NCT and it is being driven to be repaired or to/from an NCT test; it will not invalidate your insurance as what you would be doing is legal.

Rob, book a damn NCT for March and be done with it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Are you a member of the AA?

They would tow you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

tphase wrote: »
    get someone to drive a few miles ahead to warn of checkpoints or wait til Sunday if that is an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Stall the digger there chaps. The car is insured and has a valid NCT. Talk about people getting hysterical just to be outraged about something !

Ive a bit on for the next few weeks and the car needs a bit of rust cut out. Ill struggle to get there with a means of getting home if i dont take my oppertunity this Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Rob isn't an amateur and I'd be almost certain the car is spick and span, however I get his problem re tax.

As I stated above, you can legally drive a car with no NCT and with it declared off the road if it has a booked NCT and is being moved for repair or heading to a NCT test or returning from an NCT test. It is a sufficiently vague set of circumstances and should be covered.

Re insurance, its validity is predicated on what you are doing being legal. So it is perfectly fine to drive a car with no NCT and/or with it declared off the road provided it has a booked NCT and it is being driven to be repaired or to/from an NCT test; it will not invalidate your insurance as what you would be doing is legal.

Rob, book a damn NCT for March and be done with it. :P

Pushing you off you high horse, you can drive to a NCT on a SORD but you can't do it legally if the NCT has expired. The regulation allows you to return home or to a garage from a test having failed but doesn't cover driving to a test with no NCT. In all probability no action would result if you were stopped, but your information above is not strictly correct

I'd say this is more costly than a months back tax, and worse than any points or fine,

Failing to display insurance or tax

The Gardaí have the power to impound your vehicle if you drive without tax or insurance.

You risk a veritable **** storm if Garda dickhead stops you,

http://www.gannonscityrecovery.ie/garda.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wouldn't advise you either way.

But I'd move it under its own steam.

Advertisement