Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compo culture to be the death knell for onshore wind farms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

WTF? They're windmills not Kryptonite factories.

Should have let the case go to court, I'd love to see their medical evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

WTF is right. We need a few more brave defendants to not settle these types of bogus claims and let them go to court. They should be laughed out of court by the judge with full costs awarded against the plaintiffs as happened in some recent road accident claims cases. Private detectives involved and all. "Loss of power in their limbs" - my hole :mad:

But we're all ok with hydrocarbon based fuel emission instead?

If the turbines bother you turn off the computer, lights, etc..

Why we haven't developed offshore is a mystery...we're getting our bottoms kicked per person capita from countries with ⅓ of the resource we have.

In fairness, they didn't just hand over 225k willy-nilly. There must have been some grounds to the claim.

Why we haven't developed offshore is a mystery...we're getting our bottoms kicked per person capita from countries with ⅓ of the resource we have.

The money Apple owes us is enough to build an Atlantic offshore wind farm that will bring Ireland's renewable electricity production to 100% of current annual electricity use.

• Advertisement

In fairness, they didn't just hand over 225k willy-nilly. There must have been some grounds to the claim.

Of course. Those poor kids had "loss of power in their limbs" and their parents have most likely "procured" a medical worker to state same.

unkel wrote: »
    Of course. Those poor kids had "loss of power in their limbs" and their parents have most likely "procured" a medical worker to state same.

Well you obviously know a lot more about it than those directly involved.

The money Apple owes us is enough to build an Atlantic offshore wind farm that will bring Ireland's renewable electricity production to 100% of current annual electricity use.

Think bigger. Build the wind farm then buy Macinposh with the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

WTF? They're windmills not Kryptonite factories.

Should have let the case go to court, I'd love to see their medical evidence.

if there was an out of court settlement the lawyers on balance thought they would get a higher award if they went to court. cant imagine any business taking a settlement that high without weighing up everything.

also if they went to court and lost that would realy open the floodgates.

i can see the tip of one over a hill and it can be wild annoying on a sunny day

you do know we arent getting any of that money dont you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

i can see the tip of one over a hill and it can be wild annoying on a sunny day

I dont know about the noise but I'd say the shadow/flicker thing would be excruciating over time if it was inside your house all day.

They really should not be near someones home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭jprboy

KCross wrote: »
    I dont know about the noise but I'd say the shadow/flicker thing would be excruciating over time if it was inside your house all day.

They really should not be near someones home.

I've witnessed the noise while on a very short visit to a house near a small wind farm and I couldn't imagine living with it on a daily basis.

As for the shadow flicker, that would drive you to insanity!! Depending on traffic my commute can mean I sometimes pass a different wind farm to the one referred to above. During the short time I'm passing it on a sunny evening the shadow flicker is hugely disconcerting - it's like the visual equivalent of Chinese water torture. And that's based on no more than 20 seconds of exposure to it.

No-one is qualified to express an opinion on this unless they've had direct experience of a wind farm in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭dathi

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/children-who-were-made-ill-by-wind-farm-near-their-home-get-225000-38991415.html

They claimed the noise, vibrations and shadow flicker from the turbines, just over 700 metres from their family farm, resulted in them suffering various illnesses.

These included nosebleeds, ear aches, skin rashes, swollen and painful hands, loss of power in their limbs, sleep disturbance and headaches.

pretty much the same symptoms of "sick building syndrome " would have loved to see an in depth survey of the houses ventilation and heating

Advertisement