Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New GoSafe van locations

• 17-02-2020 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.garda.ie/gosafe.html

Dont know if its my phone acting up but the interactive map is not showing me the van locations. I can move around and zoom in and out of the map, read place names and switch between satellite and map views but no GoSafe locations!

Anyone have another site/app that shows them?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Same problem here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Like any government run project,
    its not fit for use, Likely the site is overloaded today and cant cope with the volume.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not the first time i've said this on boards - the notion of being able to look up where a speed camera is going to be is farcical. completely counterproductive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

not the first time i've said this on boards - the notion of being able to look up where a speed camera is going to be is farcical. completely counterproductive.

Standard practice In other countries. Signs on the side of the road warning of fixed or average speed cameras are normal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

Standard practice In other countries. Signs on the side of the road warning of fixed or average speed cameras are normal too.

Also, I would have thought that it encourages people to check their speed at these locations. They are deemed to be black spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's been a big revision of enforcement zones which takes effect today, there must be a problem updating the database for that website.

The 20 stretches of road in the State where most collisions occur are all in Dublin, according to a Garda rating system used to determine the location of speed cameras.

An analysis of a new list of over 1,300 safety camera zones, which come into effect from 6am on Monday, reveals the most likely roads where motorists are involved in accidents are all in the capital.

New network of 1,322 speed cameras comes into force today

Speed camera vans are now in operation in 900 new locations around the country.

Gardaí are increasing the number of areas where drivers' speed is being monitored after reviewing nearly a decade of data.

From this morning, GoSafe vans will be parking up at over 900 new locations across Ireland to watch out for speeding drivers.

Speed Camera Vans At 900 New Locations Around The Country

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

not to worry, i can't look them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Or, dont speed and dont look them up. Even easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

The’ve taken al the speed camera signs down now though apparently. Just for revenue generation!

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Or, dont speed and dont look them up. Even easier.

But, but, one kilometre per is a speed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Kat1170 wrote: »
    But, but, one kilometre per is a speed ?

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Allinall

Also, I would have thought that it encourages people to check their speed at these locations. They are deemed to be black spots.

What about all the locations where there are no vans?

Should people not check their speed at those locations as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Well the argument against that is that if people know where they ‘shouldn’t speed’ then they’ll speed in other areas

So if you’re the person who won’t speed because you think you might get caught, they want you to think you’ll get caught anywhere (and therefore you’re less likely to speed)

No doubt people will scream about money making rackets here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The website is not working for me either. Must be overloaded or they are still updating it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It'd be gas if they deliberately put incorrect locations on the website. I hope they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

TomTom Amigo is all you need. Will alert you when you enter and leave a speed enforcement zone and (optionally) beep like the bejaysus when you exceed the limit while in a zone.

Disclaimer: I have a subscription to TomTom Go which is a separate navigation app, I'm not sure if the use of Amigo is tied to that subscription or if it's available to use for free as a standalone app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.speedcams.android.map&gl=IE

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/tomtom-go-navigation/id884963367

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It'd be gas if they deliberately put incorrect locations on the website. I hope they do.

Gas altogether :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

coylemj wrote: »
    TomTom Amigo is all you need. Will alert you when you enter and leave a speed enforcement zone and (optionally) beep like the bejaysus when you exceed the limit while in a zone.

Disclaimer: I have a subscription to TomTom Go which is a separate navigation app, I'm not sure if the use of Amigo is tied to that subscription or if it's available to use for free as a standalone app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.speedcams.android.map&gl=IE

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/tomtom-go-navigation/id884963367

The Garda on Morning Ireland mentioned that the new locations have been shared with the Sat Nav companies including TomTom, Garmin and Google Maps.

Anyone know how to get these to show up on Google Maps when using it to navigate?

Gas altogether :rolleyes:
    what's the worst that could happen? people might be detected breaking the law. it'd be a travesty, joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I see the map is back live again and immediately I see a place where the GoSafe speed van regularly operates near me, and is not marked on the map. Shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Looking at some of these spots in Dublin and I'm scratching my head. I'm looking at areas where you couldn't hit the maximum speed limit if you tried. For example the stretch from Kilbarrack fire station to Clarehall roundabout. Off the top of my head I'm counting 4 or 5 sets of lights. It's bumper to bumper in daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

There has been quite a few areas around my town that have been added. Actually pretty much the entire town has been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Klopp

Just a thought but with all the the road works ongoing on M50 over the last year, they look more like laybys, I wouldn't be surprised it they are for GoSafe vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

would it not be far easier to design cars that cannot exceed the speed limit?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Isambard wrote: »
    would it not be far easier to design cars that cannot exceed the speed limit?

How do they know what the limit is where they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tickityboo

L1011 wrote: »

My car recognises speed signs and there is an option to restrict the car's speed automatically to whatever speed signs it passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Tickityboo wrote: »
    My car recognises speed signs and there is an option to restrict the car's speed automatically to whatever speed signs it passes.

Far from fool-proof:
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615244/hackers-can-trick-a-tesla-into-accelerating-by-50-miles-per-hour/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

L1011 wrote: »

My Bro in Law's Yaris recognises the speed limit signs....just one step to link that to the speed limiter .

It's just a matter of investing in the technology to perfect the system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭patrickc

speed limiters wouldn't allow you to increase speed to overtake and then reduce back down to the limit.

Is someone is doing 85kph in a 100 zone I'd need to pass them at 110 to safely overtake.

Advertisement