Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PEEHS - Sports Stars - The Reveal

Comments

lassykk wrote: »
    Zaph picked Collins too

I thought Collins was a bit obscure and if you weren't sure he could second guess yourself that he was Caruth (which my wife did when I asked her to pick her selections!)

I was hoping there might be some youngsters who wouldn't know him but I suspect your profiling was about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Golf

17-Golf.jpg[/QUOTE]

Woods
    Duffner
    McIlroy
    Kaymer
    Norman
    Langer
    Harrington
    Faldo

Tiger Woods led the charge here with 7 votes which was the only one I'd say went to the most famous candidate

Jason Dufner and Bernhard Langer the only aces in this round for Scorpian Sting and BuileBeag

The only hope for ShaneU based on the above is that Zaph got his answer wrong in this round

Golf

The only hope for ShaneU based on the above is that Zaph got his answer wrong in this round[/quote]

Oooh tense!

Also an ace.. WOOHOO

I was hoping there might be some youngsters who wouldn't know him but I suspect your profiling was about right.

My thought process was to pick people I knew which meant 90s sport stars onwards with the exception of Schumacher in the football, etc who had a back story that caught my attention at some stage.

I didn't know what every person looked like but would know who they are and what they are famous for on a name basis

Question 10: Golf

Woods - 7
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Green&Red
    Izy
    Kolido
    Necro
    Reberetta
    Spook_ie

Norman - 5
    Barney92
    geotrig
    Hello 2D Person Below
    Ted_YNWA
    Trigger

McIlroy - 4
    aaronjennings
    davetherave
    Electric Nitwit
    Sheridan81

Kaymer - 4
    $hifty
    Local_Chap
    Rikand
    Zaph

Faldo - 4
    MicksJaguar
    ShaneU
    Strawberry Milkshake
    Ziedth

Harrington - 2
    Homer J. Fong
    Mustang Shelly

ACES - 1:

Dufner - Scorpian Sting
    Langer - BuileBeag

• Advertisement

Zaph selected Kaymer, which as this is a correct answer means he cannot be caught. Congratulations to Zaph who showed remarkable consistency throughout with a total score of 28 (averaging less than 3 in one of these is certainly not easy!)

Geotrig ends up with the wooden spoon!

It was hard to bring too much excitement into the reveal as the gap never closed significantly and the lead never changed from Round 1.

Scores after question 10:

Player Score
    Zaph 28
    ShaneU 35
    Hello 2D Person Below 39
    Scorpian Sting 40.5
    Sheridan81 41
    Strawberry Milkshake 41.5
    davetherave 42
    Mustang Shelly 43
    Green&Red 43
    Rikand 43
    BuileBeag 43
    MicksJaguar 45
    Homer J. Fong 46
    aaronjennings 46
    Ted_YNWA 47.5
    Local_Chap 47.5
    Electric Nitwit 48
    Trigger 48
    Spook_ie 48
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 48.5
    Ziedth 48.5
    $hifty 51
    Izy 52.5
    Necro 54
    Barney92 54
    Reberetta 54.5
    Kolido 55
    geotrig 66

Thanks to everyone for participating. I enjoyed running it and will do another sports themed one soon.

Apologies that I'm not much for GIFs which seems to be a standard inclusion in these reveals ;)

Lol where's Zaph?

Lol where's Zaph?

I left him/her out for the tension ;)

He picked Kaymer - Like they'd ever get one wrong!

• Advertisement

I'm never going to win one of these blasted things!!

Thanks lassyk, good craic.

Well done Zaph!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Thanks Lassy, great reveal. Well done Zaph and geotrig.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Congrats Zaph on the victory, now it's time for you to do your lap of honor.

Thanks lassykk for the great game and reveal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

congrats zaph,
    hard luck geotrig

Thanks for running lassykk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Good stuff lassykk. Congratulations to Zaph. If only I'd chosen Carl Lewis...bloody Gail Devers! I will never forget her for as long as I live.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nicely done lassykk.

Happy enough even though I'm at the bottom, no incorrects was my aim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Congrats Zaph! Great reveal lassykk.

As someone who knows very little about sports, I'm surprised I did as well as I did - defentitely thought I would be in contention for the Wooden Spoon, and definitely thought I'd have more than one incorrect answer. If I had even known the names of any Dart players I could've potentially landed on a right answer (it worked for 1 or 2 of the other rounds anyway), but alas it wasn't to be. Look forward to another Sports one - the comps where you know very little to begin with are great fun to take part in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Good show lassy, had a decent start but fell away quite quickly. Really need to adjust my tactics :pac:

Congrats Zaph, some great picks

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Congrats Zaph. Great peehsing throughout.

Thanks for running lassy. I'll forgive you for spelling my username wrong. ;)

Disappointed with myself for thinking Mary Pierce was Petra Kvitova as I'd watch a good bit of tennis.

Congrats Zaph. Great peehsing throughout.

Thanks for running lassy. I'll forgive you for spelling my username wrong. ;)

Disappointed with myself for thinking Mary Pierce was Petra Kvitova as I'd watch a good bit of tennis.

Ah my apologies. I copied nearly every name in from the PM but sure I thought I knew how to spell scorpion :o

• Advertisement

Thanks lassy. Great hosting :)

Well done Zaph

I've started compiling a list for another version sometime in the future but I sense it might eliminate those with limited sports interest as I've picked a lot of the most famous from each category already.

I've a WWE round now and I'm open to suggestions for other sports too

I'm going to mix the "harder" sports into 4 & 4 to give people a chance if they don't know one sport they might know someone in the other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

damn crap scoring by me, missed the reveals as was tied up :(
    some of those answers !!!I had contemplated changing to schmcher for the football but just wasn't sure, taught his hair was too light and was tempted to change to langer also.
    Gobsmacked that wasn't fu, flo jo or crashtor o\

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I've started compiling a list for another version sometime in the future but I sense it might eliminate those with limited sports interest as I've picked a lot of the most famous from each category already.

I've a WWE round now and I'm open to suggestions for other sports too

WWE is not a sport!

:D

Trigger wrote: »
    WWE is not a sport!

:D

Oh I couldn't agree with you more!

But I toyed with the idea in this version and for the want of a category it's going into version 2.

It requires high levels of athleticism so it's close enough for this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Only read through the reveal now. Mid-table mediocrity as usual

Congrats on the W Zaph, and thanks for the game, Lassy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Blew it at the end again. With an average of less than 3 points per answer I don't think anyone else was in the running for this one though. Congrats Zaph and thanks lassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Missed the reveal - damn you people, why did so many of you keep picking the same as me?! :mad:

Well played Zaph, commanding performance!

Great reveal lassy, a brilliant hosting debut :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

If you wanted a slightly different take for the next one, you could add awkward photos of well known sports stars, like the video round in Question of Sport, things like...

0005f7d1-500.jpg

Or baby photos :p

Advertisement