Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a giant, retractable glass dome over cities

• 22-02-2020 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

And suddenly Ireland becomes one of the best countries in the world. Really doesnt have to be crazy expensive by any stretch of the imagination. And its nothing crazier than hundreds of giant 100+ floor earthquake proof skyscrapers, or underground train systems that cover multiple cities etc etc. Some countries have those, Ireland probably never will. But city-sized domes that offer protection from the endless rain and wind as they are needed can imrpove standards of life and business profits by an incredible amount.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

lol its the only hope we have at this stage...even climate change wont change our miserable weather:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Isn't Boris building us a nice little bridge so that we can just hop in the car when the weather is bad and bask in England's superior climate.

What if someone gets a shower and leaves their window open. Would they steam up the glass?

Would we be on here complaining about politicians giving the handy glass cleaning contracts to their mates? What if billy-no-mates climbs it and sprays 'up d ra' on it? Now that theres no rain would there be pop-up businesses selling ton bags of water, along with their topsoil and sand to water your garden with?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

How will the planes land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Its just taken us 3 years to put one extra lane on a 14km stretch of the M7 - I will pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

As Pat Shortt used to say 'shure it would be a great wee country, if we could only roof it'

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As Pat Shortt used to say 'shure it would be a great wee country, if we could only roof it'

As does a really annoying ad for Centreparks with a kid that has the most annoyingly unusual accent and pronunciation.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Isn't Boris building us a nice little bridge so that we can just hop in the car when the weather is bad and bask in England's superior climate.

No, he’s building one from Northern Ireland to
    Scotland.
    (Well, he’s building feck all in reality).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

How will the planes land

Shure we could put a sliding window in it. I know a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Would it not be cheaper to build an artificial island off the Kerry coast and put a HAARP station on it to zap the jet stream moving the low pressure centres in another direction. We could dictate our seasons by sending low pressure centres across the Celtic Sea during winter bringing us endless easterlies of snow, and in the summer divert them on up towards Iceland drawing up endless Spanish plumes. All our sanity would be saved from trying to read the 384hrs GFS outputs and call a pattern. Somebody call the Healy-Raes, I bet they'd run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Allinall

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As does a really annoying ad for Centreparks with a kid that has the most annoyingly unusual accent and pronunciation.

That's right Dad, in Looongford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Presumably in short order it would be coated in pollution on the inside (like the exterior of Hawkins House), and bird poop on the outside (like Calatrava's 'city of arts and sciences' in Valencia).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

In short order, no one would care, we'd all be dead from the pollution from the chape daysul cars that everyone would insist on keeping.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Under the Dome.

The obsession about living in a dome, imagine it would like living in a glasshouse, fine for winter, but summer would be hell...doubt it would be retractable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »
    Under the Dome.

The obsession about living in a dome, imagine it would like living in a glasshouse, fine for winter, but summer would be hell...doubt it would be retractable.

Great minds think alike!

• Stephen King did it about 16 years before the Simpson's made their debut.

Advertisement