Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hunters - Amazon Original (**Spoilers**)

• 01-11-2019 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭

From Jordan Peele starring Al Pacino
    Hunters, follows a rag-tag team of Nazi Hunters on their quest for righteous revenge in 1977 New York City.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think Inglorious Bastards has me a bit skued into hype territory. This show looks like it's probably gonna be more grounded and spycraft based. All the same..

also, googled mitzvah
    mitzvah
    /ˈmɪtsvə/
    Learn to pronounce
    nounJudaism
    noun: mitzvah; plural noun: mitzvoth

a precept or commandment.
    a good deed done from religious duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full Trailer

Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i know its only a trailer but it looks a bit cartooney ,i think I'd prefer to rewatch the Boys from Brazil

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Al Pacino is gonna OWN THIS!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kinda hard to get a sense of its tone, seemed to be playing it straight, but then the "team" shot looked a bit pop-punk. And with Pacino in the cast, lord knows how he'll play his part.

• Advertisement

Full trailer and drops February 21st;

God Damn Nazis! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Looks great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Shouty Al I'm all for this,

Oh! Missed that they had a Superbowl trailer up for the last 5 days!

God Damn Nazis!

• Advertisement

There will be blood!

Red Band Trailer:

NFL Players React to Red Band Trailer:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"NFL Players React to Red Band Trailer:"

This is apparently a normal sentence in 2020. :confused::)

MUST RESIST SAYI... oh dammit.. GOD DAMN NAZIs!

Watched the first episode this morning and it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hmmmm not sure about this. I didn't watch any of the trailers but was sold with Al Pacino. I'd have preferred it to be more serious instead of the over the top camp style. Feels like a poor mans inglorious basterds

Watched the first episode this morning and it was very good.

Agreed! God Damn Nazis!

Things I had to look up:
    Safta or Savta: Safta means grandmother in Hebrew.
    The Medal with a Cross with a Red Triangle and the letter P: Auschwitz Cross
    Shum Davar: Meaningless (as it.. it means what is happening is Meaningless)
    Markus Roth: I couldn't find a person from the camps but there's a Markus Roth who wrote a book about Auschwitz: Amazon Link. Google translation of the description:
    Like all literature, theater after Auschwitz faces the problem of whether and how the genocide can be adequately represented and remembered. The discussion of the representation problem forms the starting point and basis for the investigation of the Holocaust drama in the Federal Republic and its close connection with the social analysis of the murder of the Jews. Building on this, the second part of George Tabori's The Cannibals is analyzed. The main question here is how Tabori faces the problems of representation that the theater after Auschwitz faces. With grotesque means, nested time levels and a differentiated constellation of figures, Tabori manages to achieve a new quality in the Holocaust discourse.
    Chava - Meaning: Living. Biblical: Chava is the Hebrew name of Eve, the first woman God created.
    Schwantz: Urban Dictionary says: 'an unidentifable person wandering aimlessly through life'
    Mitzvah: 'a good deed done from religious duty'. I remember hearing this before but looked it up again.
    Bedeutung: significance, importance, meaning (meaning as in significance, importance)

Episode 1:
    1 hour and 30 minutes! Starts with a warning of Adult Content, Graphic Language, Graphic Violence and Nudity. Means it too!
    Felt like
    an introduction to the back story but a focus on Jonah. The scene where Safta died was so sad. The moments here look like they've caught him at a crossroads. Not sure how it'll go but it looks like he'll knuckle down.

Saul Rubinek played a fairly nasty character (Kivas Fajo) in the Star Trek The Next Generation episode: The Most Toys (where
    Data was a prisoner
    ). What to expect from him in this series! :eek:

The scene at the start at the swimming pool. I thought
    the actress playing the Polish woman really got across a feeling of terror and being in shock.

2: Looks like a little of the shine and gloss style might have been taken off there. I wonder will the style change as the story progresses
    and Jonah becomes more a part of the group.

That scene with
    the Nazi shooting the pregnant woman... and then later I'm pretty sure he's killed them all.. well.. this season better have him dead at the end or a damn good reason not to. Not sure what the Flamingo was about when he got outside, whether it was symbolic or like.. it's Florida, there are flamingos here.

Looks like the overall plan
    was shown at the end there with a plot to have an explosion in Manhattan. Think it was a contained explosion because of the 10 meters.. or maybe it's a robbery involving some demolitions.

Things I looked up
    Kavod: term meaning honor and respect
    Yenta or Yente: Yiddish women's given name. has entered Yinglish—i.e., become a Yiddish loanword in Jewish varieties of English—as a word referring to a woman who is a gossip or a busybody.
    Shtup: yiddish, colloquially for f**k
    Imas: plural of ima: Hebrew word for mom
    Hashem: title used in Judaism to refer to God
    Mohel: a Jew trained in the practice of brit milah, the "covenant of circumcision."
    Bubbe: Grandmother
    The Rhythm Method: the calendar method or the calendar rhythm method, is a form of natural family planning :eek:
    Día of the Semana: Mix of Spanish and English for: day of the week
    Winks: I'm not sure on this one. I took it to mean sleep but the book of Proverbs is in the Bible mentions someone who winks being out with bad intentions (multi bible comparison link)
    Flamingo: wiki article. There's an element to them changing colour based on what they eat.
    Hansel and Gretel: The Hansel and Gretel wiki article "well-known German fairy tale recorded by the Brothers Grimm" who published anti-Semitic fairytales

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I actually enjoyed it in the end. Think it was the opening scene I didn't like which I found too cheesy.

Finale spoiler
    Adolf Hitler alive and well in Argentina :D

3: Breathe out... breathe out... phew..
    That was intense at the end there! Kinda felt a sense of anger. Jonah musta been feeling it too! Guessing he's gotta be in after that!
    . Felt like that might have been the story being developed in this episode. Jonah
    going from hesitant to feeling the group is something he needs to join.

Episode 1 labeled 18+, 2 was 16+, 3 back to 18+.. kinda getting the feel for it.

That early scene where the Maryanne
    Nazi got the stake up through her throat after she jumped Roxy! I was like.. OH ****!
    :eek:

So, the overall plot,
    feels to be developing into some big event.. in Manhattan.. in 2 week.. either explosion or heist, not sure.

Things I looked up (not many this time)
    Money paid by Germany to Holocaust victims: I didn't find a lot on this. The wiki is sparse on it too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_reparations#Holocaust_victims
    Chutzpah (just really confirming, I heard this many times before):extreme self-confidence or audacity (usually used approvingly).
    Chevy Chase, Maryland: Not just the actors name apparently! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevy_Chase,_Maryland
    LBI: Seems to be an amusement park on Long Beach Island: https://www.fantasyislandlbi.com/

Really enjoyed that as a season once I got past the 70's exploitation gimmick it settled into. I also thought it was one of Al's most toned down performances in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Watched episode 1. Looking forward to the rest

4: :eek:

I hadn't seen John Noble since Fringe! Wow, what a performance! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jack43

Looks Good

Watched the first episode, and didn't hit the Grindhouse, exploitation tone as hard as I was expecting, while still embracing its pulp sensibility and playing things broad.

When it needed to, it played the horror and emotional trauma of the Holocaust straight as an arrow, which makes for an interesting counterpoint to the recent JoJo Rabbit: IMO that film failed to properly marry the goofy comedy with the inherent tragedy of its setting; on the other hand Hunters knew when to pump the brakes and keep things serious (even if the Nazis in the "present day" were themselves scenery chewing villains)

5: Felt like a develop-the-plot episode. Looks like
    the that big plan is now something under 2 weeks away and is targetting Manhattan with a biological weapon. Traitor nun was flagged already so not a huge shock.

Found the ad for Huntsville, Alabama on youtube:

Things I looked up
    Shanda: shame / disgrace
    Fakakta: something that is not working well or is really crap

Shul: Synagogues were also called batei tefila, or Houses of Prayer, and batei midrash, or Houses of Study. In Eastern and Central Europe, this led to the synagogue being called a Shul, the Yiddish word for school.

Menorah: "The Hanukkah menorah, is a nine-branched candelabrum lit during the eight-day holiday of Hanukkah, as opposed to the seven-branched menorah used in the ancient Temple or as a symbol. "
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menorah_(Hanukkah)

Huey from 1977: I'm guessing it's Huey P. Newton "co-founded the Black Panther Party in 1966"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_P._Newton
    Newton and his girlfriend (later his wife) Gwen Fontaine then fled to Havana, Cuba, where they lived until 1977

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thoroughly enjoyed that, didn't like Jo Jo Rabbit all that much (Hitler part put me off), but this series hit all the right notes for me.
    Hope they do another season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Very good show. Jaysus that last episode didn't see any of it coming at all. Very very good watch. Sets up season two brilliantly.

One thing I don't get though. It's set in 1977. 30 years after the war. Jonah's mother would literally have to have him at 11 or 12 to make the timeline add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

piplip87 wrote: »
    Very good show. Jaysus that last episode didn't see any of it coming at all. Very very good watch. Sets up season two brilliantly.

One thing I don't get though. It's set in 1977. 30 years after the war. Jonah's mother would literally have to have him at 11 or 12 to make the timeline add up.

As he never met his mother maybe his grandmother is his mother...

6: I think the thing that got me here was
    how they did the scene with Aaron, bringing Harriet back in
    and the music in the background (composer is: Cristobal Tapia de Veer)

Also the scene
    where Jonah said the prayer and his Safta turned up.

Things I looked up
    Schmeckel: dick
    Shvantz: dick
    Jammerlich: pathetic
    L'Chaim: Used as a toast "to life" .. so reminds me of Sláinte
    Mindelah: I think this is a name. I'm not sure.

Hora: The horah: differs somewhat from that of some of the Eastern European countries, is widespread in the Jewish diaspora and played a foundational role in modern Israeli folk dancing.

Birkat Hagomel: Blessing/Prayer recited by people who have survived a traumatic, potentially life-threatening episode
    Operation Paperclip: "more than 1,600 German scientists, engineers, and technicians, such as Wernher von Braun and his V-2 rocket team, were taken from Germany to the United States, for U.S. government employment"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

Edgewood Maryland - US Army: Edgewood Arsenal human experiments
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgewood_Arsenal_human_experiments
    The purpose was to study the effect of low-dose chemical warfare agents on military personnel, as well as to test protective clothing, pharmaceuticals and vaccines.
    About 7,000 soldiers were used in the experiments, involving exposures to more than 250 different chemicals. Some of the subjects exhibited symptoms at the time of exposure to these agents but long-term follow-up was never provided. The experiments were abruptly terminated by the Army in late 1975 as questions were raised over the legality and ethics of such tests. Many official government reports and civilian lawsuits followed in the wake of the termination.

The chemical agents tested on subjects included chemical warfare agents and other related agents:

Anticholinesterase nerve agents (VX, sarin, and common organophosphorus (OP) and carbamate pesticides)
    Mustard agents
    Nerve agent antidotes including atropine and scopolamine
    Nerve agent reactivators, e.g. the common OP antidote 2-PAM chloride
    Psychoactive agents including LSD, PCP, cannabinoids, and BZ
    Irritants and riot control agents
    Alcohol and caffeine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Did anyone else spot the magic number plate that appeared on the Land Rover at toward the end of Episode 10. "Now you don't, now you see it"
    :P

Advertisement