Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ospreys vs. Leinster, The Gnoll, Friday 21st January, 19.35 (eir Sport 1, TG4)

Options
  • 20-02-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭

Ospreys
    |
    Leinster
    ?url=images.pitchero.com%2Fui%2F3129%2F1423903320_6407.png&w=128&h=128&t=square
    |
    guinness-pro14-leinster-rugby-v-cardiff-blues-31.jpeg

15. Cai Evans | Hugo Keenan
    14. Hanno Dirksen | Cian Kelleher
    13. Owen Watkin | Jimmy O'Brien
    12. Kieran Williams | Conor O'Brien
    11. Luke Morgan | James Lowe
    10. Luke Price | Ciarán Frawley
    9. Aled Davies | Jamison Gibson-Park
    1. Nicky Smith | Peter Dooley
    2. Scott Otten | James Tracy
    3. Simon Gardiner | Michael Bent
    4. Adam Beard | Ross Molony
    5. Bradley Davies | Scott Fardy
    6. Dan Lydiate | Josh Murphy
    7. Olly Cracknell | Scott Penny
    8. Dan Baker | Rhys Ruddock

16. Sam Parry | Seán Cronin
    17. Gareth Thomas | Michael Milne
    18. Gheorghe Gajion | Jack Aungier
    19. Lloyd Ashley | Jack Dunne
    20. Sam Cross | Ryan Baird
    21. Shaun Venter | Rowan Osborne
    22. Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler | Harry Byrne
    23. James Hook | Tommy O’Brien

Referee: Stuart Berry (SARU)
    Assistants: Aled Evans (WRU), Ben Breakspear (WRU)
    TMO: Tim Hayes (WRU)

Light on Byrnes, heavy on O'Briens.

If we manage it, a Leinster win would be a new record for the best start to a league season and would tie Munster’s record for the most successive PRO14 matches won from 2011, according to the Pro 14 website. But we'll see, since apparently being last in your conference means you're a top side these days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Light on February heavy on January

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Light on February heavy on January

Ah the never-ending case of the copy and paste error. ****'s sake, Dave.

Unsure if mods are able to fix titles, if you can, please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't go into match threads often anymore.

But for a 6 nations pro14 game that is a mighty fine table.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinsters first loss??

That's a pretty experienced spreys team who will be buoyed by last week's ulster result.

Lots of young guns in blue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Leinsters first loss??

That's a pretty experienced spreys team who will be buoyed by last week's ulster result.

A team probably shouldn't be buoyed that much by a 2 point win at home after 4 months of losses.

Don't expect it to be close. Our first loss will come in SA I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Leinsters first loss??

You also have a ref who isn't q complete homer like Mitrea. His reffing was very poor. Ulster were crap but in reality he handed the game to the O's with a number of really wrong decisions. Berry is usually a pretty accurate ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Who gnows what will happen in the gnoll

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If our set piece delivers, I can see us winning. We've enough up front to grind out a win here but it's going to be a tight game. Weather has a strong chance of rain which might suit us given I'd back our handling up front to be better than theirs and Frawley looks to have hit his stride in terms of his kicking game.

We'd be in a much stronger position if we had availability of guys who aren't in the Irish 23 i.e. McGrath, Deegan etc. That's probably the most callow bench we've had for a match in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinsters first loss??

Leinster 14 point favourites in the bookies eyes here which is about accurate I reckon.

There are some young guns out there but we've a pretty grizzled pack lining out which will be more than enough to stifle them.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster 14 point favourites in the bookies eyes here which is about accurate I reckon.

There are some young guns out there but we've a pretty grizzled pack lining out which will be more than enough to stifle them.

10 points with PP, and of course id never bet against leinster not exceeding the spread, they've done that more often than not this year.

I do think it could be a banana skin though

• Advertisement

Can't believe Hook is still playing rugby, feels like he has been around forever. I remember him starting against Fiji in the 2007 World Cup.

Pretty sure I read he is retiring at the end of the season to become an author?

Only 2 weeks older than Sexton. It's weird to think that someone who has 81 test caps, a Lions tour and was starting outhalf in a Grand Slam campaign has a career that is quite unfulfilled.

He could have been one of the all time greats but it really just fizzled out for him. The departure to France seems to have coincided with his overall standard sliding dramatically and never recovering. With that said, I'm not sure if he'll look back with much regret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Des Berry picked ospreys to win.

Be nice if COB showed some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster aren't losing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinster aren't losing this.

Nope. Obviously professional sport and anything can happen etc etc etc.

But Leinsters pack should get them through this fairly comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's a decent Ospreys team on paper. If they get a boost from last week's win, it could be tricky.

Still, should be a Leinster win.

This would be Leinster's 20th win in a row, going back to the Pro14 playoffs last year. That would beat the record of 19 set by Crusaders in 2018-19. Leicester won 17 in a row in England.

Source: https://lastwordonrugby.com/2019/04/27/every-rugby-winning-streak-has-to-come-to-an-end/

So that would be something. Have I just jinxed us? Yeah.

I'd broadly agree. I reckon Leinster should win but it's not a foregone conclusion. Games aren't won on paper etc. etc. but that Ospreys team has some talent in it.

Put them in red shirts and they'd be transformed. They've 5 capped players up front in there including a few guys who were regulars for the Welsh 23 for periods of their career. Hopefully they'll do the usual going through the motions for their region though as we've seen for much of this season.

Bookies calling it for Leinster by 10 which is probably slightly more than I'd anticipate but it wouldn't surprise me either if the Ospreys didn't turn up and it was a BP win either.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭antietam1

jacothelad wrote: »
    You also have a ref who isn't q complete homer like Mitrea. His reffing was very poor. Ulster were crap but in reality he handed the game to the O's with a number of really wrong decisions. Berry is usually a pretty accurate ref.

He any relation to Des Berry who said Leinster would lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Too much smoke being blown about this unbeaten run. We're in trouble I tells us.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Trying to watch this online with TG4 Player but it's geoblocked even though I'm in Ireland. Anyone else seeing this?

Edit: nevermind, started working.

• Advertisement

Very poor judgement from JGP there.

Brilliant turnover from Tracy saving our bacon there. Looks like the first half is going to be damage limitation with this wind.

Horrible pass from Frawley. That's something we've seen on more than one occasion in the past. His execution on passing can be very inaccurate.

And another one misses his man and goes to deck.

Very hard to build pressure when both halves are having a mare passing wise.

Referee is letting everyone go to town at the breakdown. Would like to think that will suit us with smart lads like Fardy and Ruddock talking out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Fardy ðŸ˜

That's a lovely try. TOB has made a very nice impact since coming on.

Great hands by Kelleher and Fardy. So simple and effective. Was like a passing drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That was beautiful, lovely hands from Fardy

Good try. Nice hands from everyone.

Does anyone know what happened to COB? Regular injury as opposed to a HIA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Cracking try!

Advertisement