Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiral out - keep going

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Thats one well executed race in what sounds like tough windy conditions. Congrats and now with a coach on board too, should i start linking sub 3 threads to you now? :)

Touché D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Aw that's brilliant i'm delighted for her :D You are both great runners & it's even more amazing that you get to race with each other & encourage each other!
    Although the saying is true...behind every good man is an even better woman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's great racing T - seems like you gunned it from start to finish. Yeah, you've got speed, but you've also worked your tail off since Dublin (and over the last year) and you have the grit to dig in and fight through when the going gets tough in a race. That's a great combination. Savage result today (in the Legalflys :pac:), and plenty more to come.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    That's great racing T - seems like you gunned it from start to finish. Yeah, you've got speed, but you've also worked your tail off since Dublin (and over the last year) and you have the grit to dig in and fight through when the going gets tough in a race. That's a great combination. Savage result today (in the Legalflys :pac:), and plenty more to come.

Thanks A, it's definitely been an aim of mine to improve endurance and I'm seeing the results now. From looking at the new regime, there'll be even more focus on it

What, another 10 mile race!! Mallow Week 1

Here we go again but at least this time it's only 6 weeks away. After the result in Dungarvan, I can't help but target 65 for Mallow. A minute doesn't sound that much to make up but will take some doing.

At least with the new coach onboard, it won't be for the want of trying. First week involves two sessions in which the paces have increased quite some bit for me.

Monday 3rd - 5m easy, 8.58avg

Legs felt quite good after the race, stiff but not as bad as expected. For all the bad press the vaporflys get, they certainly allow you to get back into training straight away. Ran around the Ballincollig regional park, and my pace was quite good whilst feeling easy. Legs were definitely still in recovery mode but happy with getting out for this one

Tuesday 4th - 6m easy, 8.51avg

Ran at lunchtime during a rare trip to the office. Out and back along the marina. Again legs were still in recovery but better than the day before. Was happy that the sub 9min pace does now feel easy.

Wednesday 5th - 9m easy, 8.51avg

Was meant to do the first session today but decided to switch runs and give myself an extra day of easy running. Normal loop around Blackrock castle which was quite enjoyable.

Thursday 6th - 9m tempo, 4@7.25 4@7.10

The extra day easy running certainly was a good idea. It's been a while since a session felt this tough but was delighted that I was able to hit the paces. First 4@ 7.25 seemed challenging, with the wind playing a factor.
    7.23, 7.25, 7.26, 7.23
    Upped the pace a bit too much for the start of the next mile, but eventually settled in. Began to lose form in the middle, but was able to recognise it and concentrate on keeping it right (I'm starting to learn these things!)
    7.07, 7.05, 7.09, 7.08

Really happy to get back into the swing of hard training, although looking forward to a rest day on Saturday :D

• Advertisement

Friday 7th - 7 mile easy, 8.47avg

Had planned to run this one on grass, to give the legs a bit of a break. It had been dry all week so reckoned the ground had firmed up. An hour before the run and it started to lash so decided not to risk injury again and went to my normal 7m loop around Blackrock castle. Was running easy but somehow the pace for the last two miles increased - maybe I was looking forward to the rest day on Saturday

Sunday 9th - 3x1mile@6.20 w 1mile@8.00 recovery in between

Big upping of pace here. Last time I did this sort of session, it was 4x1mile @6.55 so the 30 second increase seemed daunting. Storm Ciara was howling all morning, with torrential rain - it seemed there was no way to escape running in it. Then, out of nowhere, the skies brightened up and there seemed to be break. Off I headed in a hurry.

Was going to cheat as well for this session, with all speed miles with the wind and the recoveries against. Guess I needed all the help I could get. 1 mile warmup and off I set on the first rep. As always, I don't know how to judge 6.20 so first glance of the watch showed 5.55. Eased it back a bit and managed to get the 1st one on time - 6.16. Turned around and did the recovery into the wind. It was hard to keep it near the 8 minute pace. Found that I recovered breath wise ok but the legs were not recovering that much.

Second rep and again I started too quick, another 5.5x pace when I looked at the watch. This time the pace eased itself due to effort and I found myself struggling towards the end. Still snuck in on time - 6.20. I was thinking that the 3rd one would be hellish if I was struggling on that one. Same thing with the recovery mile, 8min pace was a push on the legs.

Last rep and this time pace started at 6.10 and I was struggling early on. Half a mile left and I was suffering a lot. Kept looking at the watch every 30 secs I say, to me the distance remaining seemed to go up at times :p Finally it ended - 6.15 The recovery mile was ok, but the legs felt achy for it.

Happy with how it went and how my legs feel now as I type. Ready for week 2

Weekly mileage - 43 miles
    Year to date - 246

Bad news is 3 sessions for me next week but at least for one of them, I get to do a parkrun at a speedy pace. Second parkrun ever for me (First was a 23min run in January 2019) and I'm hoping the race environment will help me with the pacey miles.

Mallow 10 week 2

Another week of the unknown for me, with 3 difficult sessions planned. From looking at them, the paces seemed rather fast for each one but I told myself to take each one at a time. A week of running into the wind it seems so far

Monday 10th - 6 miles easy, 8.50avg

Quite a windy morning with Storm Ciara still festering. Went to the nearby park which was quite exposed to the wind in places. Got through it fine with no sign of tiredness from the run on Sunday

Tuesday 11th - 2x3miles@6.55 w 1mile@8.00 recovery

Am used to the 3x2miles but not the 2x3miles, guess I need them to improve endurance. First time running them under 7min pace too. The first set went ok but was conscious of the wind at my back - 6.54, 6.51, 6.52
    For the recovery miles, felt I was getting my breath back but my legs weren't recovering that much. Second set and was sheltered for the first mile. Hit the wind for the last 2 and struggled to get them in on time - 6.53, 6.58, 6.57
    Very happy with how it went

Wednesday 12th - 5 miles easy, 9.00avg

Back to the same park as Monday for a nice and easy run. New pair of Brooks but same model as before.

Thursday 13th - 10.5m 5m@7.20 4.5@7.15

Similar to last week but with an extra 1.5 miles added in for the hell of it I guess. Not sure how it would go. There was a bit of a wind to deal with too. Decided to run against the wind for the first part and have it with me for the second. I was working quite a bit for the first part but was managing to hit close to the paces - my thinking was I could recover some bit on the way back - 7.24, 7.23, 7.21, 7.30 (tree cover), 7.21
    Turned with the wind and thought I would be able to cruise home at a comfortable pace. That was until I glanced at the watch and saw 7.30 pace. Had to upped my effort till the end and was quite relieved when I got back to the car - 7.23, 7.16, 7.10, 7.11, 7.12 for the half
    I was feeling quite disappointed that it took so much effort to go near that pace, until I looked on Strava. Came up as my 3rd fastest 10 mile after Charleville half and Dungarvan 10 the other week. So I ended up quite pleased after seeing that.

Rest day tomorrow and then my long awaited return to Parkrun on Saturday. The session is a monster to me - have to run a 20min 5k, followed by 4x800m@6.10 pace w 90sec recoveries :eek::eek::eek: will break out the 4% to avoid injury

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

That session today looked savage, well done T.

Enjoy Saturday...you’ll smash it!

Saturday 15th - 3m@6.30 w 3min rec, 4x800m@6.10 w 90secs rec

Had planned to run the first part of this session in a parkrun but it was cancelled due to storm dennis. There was another one in the city but the hill on that course wasn't suitable. Decided to go to the normal Blackrock route and give myself a favourable route for those miles.

My legs had been ok all week but decided to wear the 4% to prevent injury and enable my legs to recover quicker for the next weeks running. Obviously they helped with the paces too.

After a 2 miles warmup, changed into the 4% and set off on the fast 3 miles. Had a bit of a mess up with programming this session so I couldn't see what pace I was going at, had to go by feel. First mile was with a cross wind. Felt in control and was surprised when the watched beeped and clocked 6.16 Second mile was with the wind and came in at 6.12 I was feeling good and was torn between maintaining pace till the end and easing off as I still had a lot more to do afterwards. Last mile was at 6.26 and of course I carried on for the extra .1 to get the 5k covered. Came in at 19.37 which was quite surprising.

Had a bit longer than 3 mins recovery as I wanted to clear a hilly part of the route first. Was feeling good going into the 800s. Wind was against me for these but they felt quite comfortable
    3.07 (was down to tree cover)
    Last 800 saw me going up and over a pedestrian bridge over the south ring road, not good timing but guess it was a bit of hill work thrown in for free :D Must admit I was buzzing for the day after completing that session in those conditions

Sunday 16th - 9m easy, 9.03avg

After feeling ok on Saturday, I woke on Sunday morning quite stiff and sore. Needed a new route to keep the interest up for this run. Ran from Carrigaline to Crosshaven on the old railway line for the first time. Was lucky with the weather until the turn around, where I was met with a torrential hailstone shower - the sadistic in me started to laugh halfway through it. Last of the miles were quite tough on the legs and feet but got through it. Even decided to have a bath afterwards to soak my legs and try to aid recovery

Weekly mileage - 47.5
    Year to date - 293.5

Another increase in mileage for next week and the sessions look tougher too - hopefully it's the toughest week before things settled down for Mallow!!

Mallow 10 week 3

Definitely an element of fatigue starting to creep in but another tough week lays ahead.

Monday 17th - 8 miles easy, 9.11avg

All easy runs this week are a lengthy 8 miles, which I find to be extra long and need more motivation for. Trying to change up running routes to keep me going. Ran this one in Ballincollig, legs were fairly tired but got through it. Thought I escaped the rain until the last mile when it bucketed down and I got soaked (yet again!)

Tuesday 18th - 5x1m@6.30 w 1m@8.00 rec in between

No motivation needed for this one. Another windy day but I decided just to pick a route and not worry about what direction it was blowing. Running 6.30 miles in Brooks is a lot tougher than the Vaporflys, took me a lot more effort to get them in on time. By rep 2, my legs had turned to jelly. The 8min miles were just about giving me enough recovery to get the next fast one done. Felt like I was on the edge the whole session, which is good. Didn't push to keep the recoveries bang on 8min due to the wind. Times were
    6.31 7.59rec
    6.32 8.04
    6.28 8.06
    6.29 8.14
    Ran a 73min 10mile in total for that session, crazy to think that I went so fast for a training run

Wednesday 19th - 8 mile easy, 8.57avg

Did the same route as Sunday, from Carrigaline to Crosshaven, a lovely 8 mile out and back along some old railway line walkways. Fierce windy on the way back too. Lower back is feeling a bit sore today but should be fine. Another 8 mile easy tomorrow

• Advertisement

That Tuesday session looks savage and in that wind too:eek:

Fair play Trev some hard work going on here!

That Tuesday session looks savage and in that wind too:eek:

Fair play Trev some hard work going on here!

Thanks E, effort levels have increased alright. All this to improve by 1 minute by next month!

But seriously, these sessions are specifically working on my endurance, which will help me for the longer goals of Cork Half and DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Them sessions are smashing, very similar to what I have been doing over the last couple of weeks and I find they really work wonders for endurance. Knowing you can pull it off on a training run in middle of a heavy week is great confidence booster.

Great to see you got on board with a coach, it's great having that sense of accountability haha! Well that's the key for me, I lack structure terribly.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Them sessions are smashing, very similar to what I have been doing over the last couple of weeks and I find they really work wonders for endurance. Knowing you can pull it off on a training run in middle of a heavy week is great confidence booster.

Great to see you got on board with a coach, it's great having that sense of accountability haha! Well that's the key for me, I lack structure terribly.

Well given your performance over the weekend, I'll keep on doing them if you say they've improved your endurance! Well done on that race again.

I am enjoying having the coach onboard and not having to do any thinking myself. I'll leave that up to the experts!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

You're absolutely flying it T, well done, great Tuesday session.

Thursday 20th - 8m easy, 8.59avg

Can't remember much about this run apart from running around the Blackrock loop. Legs were feeling tired and tender all week so this just maintained that fatigue.

Friday 21st - 3x3m@6.58 w 1m@8min in between

Definitely the hardest session I've done, with the combo of the length and pace of it, along with how tired I was feeling. Was nearly impossible to plan this route to give me the advantage of a majority tailwind.

After a mile warmup, I started on the first 3 mile rep with a tailwind for the majority of it. However, whether it was me trying to conserve myself for the rest of the session or not, I couldn't really hit under 7 minutes. Not far off them but still a worrying sign of things to come. 7.04, 7.01, 7.01

"Recovery mile" was tough into the wind so left it drift to 8.10 before starting on the second rep. This one was 2 miles into the wind and 1 mile with it. First mile was similar to the first rep, just over, but the 2nd one was even slower. Was battling the wind and the legs were heavy. Was happy to turn and get some help from the wind for the 3rd one. It was the only mile I hit under 7 mins 7.04, 7.08, 6.59

Another tough recovery mile which came in at 8.17. I wasn't really recovering in the legs though and they were really heavy starting the 3rd rep. Mixture of wind for this one but it was the least of my concern. First mile was ok-ish, tailwind helped me a bit. Second one though and I struggled badly, legs were shot and needed to run into a strong headwind for the last bit of it. Last mile with the wind and I tried to push it till the end 7.07, 7.18, 7.03

Was pleased with the effort and wasn't too disappointed with missing the times. I think it is good to have these hard days at times, stops you from getting too far ahead of yourself :D

Sunday 23th - 6m@6.58

After a rest day Saturday, I wasn't too sure how this run would go. My legs were still tired and had to put 6 of those Thursday miles together into one. Was invited to run with a friend and meet up with a few others from her club. This was probably the distraction I needed - not to embarrass myself in front of other runners. After a 2 mile warmup, started off on the tempo miles.

First 3 miles were with the wind and I was able to settle in to a good pace actually under target. Second part was into the wind at times, with some shelter too. 1 mile involved a strong headwind and having to go up and over a footbridge, which caused me to miss my target. Dug in for the last 2 miles and was relieved when it was over.
    6.53, 6.57, 6.56, 7.11, 6.56, 6.59

Weekly mileage - 55 miles
    Year to date - 349 miles

A really hard week, with high mileage and 3 hard sessions. Glad to get it over with. Another challenging one next week but seems to be easier on paper (famous last words). After today, I've decided to join Eagle AC here in Cork. I think it'll help me with these weekend runs, especially coming up to DCM. There's a lot of runners at my pace, plus loads faster, that I can learn from and hopefully improve with.

Great week Trev! Very best of luck with the running club :) After having company for a lot of runs lately i think that is something I am going to dread when it comes to running the long runs alone for DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Great sessions T.

All the best with the club, defo a good idea if schedule allows you to do the long runs in company, mentally way easier.

Mallow 10 - week 4

So far so good this week, two sessions complete and actually went quite well. Keep saying it's because I've improved as a runner since last week, but more likely that this week is some sort of stepback week :mad:

Monday 24th - 6m easy, 9.24avg

Lower back had been sore the past few days but was really stiff for this run. Caused the pace to be slower than normal but no big deal.

Tuesday 25th - 3m@7.25, 3m@7.15, 3m@7.00

Seeing a session with all miles at 7.xx with no sign of 6.xx miles made me happy, but knew not to underestimate it too much. Especially with the last 3 at 7min pace. Back was still a bit sore but not as bad as the day before, loosened up as the run progressed.

First 3 miles were into the wind so to allow me to use the tailwind for the faster miles. Tree cover as normal made the 2nd mile slower 7.23, 7.31, 7.21

Middle 3 were ok, last one was a bit up and down some hills so effort was up 7.12, 7.20, 7.14

Felt great start of the last 3, was able to hit the sub 7 pace - something I couldn't do last week. All was comfortable until I rounded mahon point and straight into a vicious headwind for the 2nd mile. Caused the mile to be slower and effort was maximum. Turned for the last mile so got the tailwind again and powered it home 6.57, 7.08, 6.52

Wednesday 26th - 5m easy, 9.43avg

With the back still stiff, I decided to head to the UCC farm and run on "grass" for this one. Conditions were fairly muddy, paces were slow but it was well worth it. Felt great afterwards. It was good to be back there but with another storm on the way, might be another while before I can go back

Thursday 27th - 8x800m@3.05 w 60secs rec

Was kinda looking forward to this one in a weird way. Maybe because I was confident of being able to get this done ok. Wind had died down but was still going to use a tailwind for the session. Very difficult to judge the 6.10 pace needed, kept going too fast for the first part and then dying a bit for the second part. Walked the recoveries, never has 60 seconds gone so quickly than it did here. First 4 reps were on target

3.00, 3.03, 3.03, 3.04

Second set and legs were beginning to get heavier earlier in the rep. In saying that though, I never felt totally into the red but my legs were really heavy for the last one

3.03, 3.04, 3.04, 3.04

You might think that the reps were super consistent but as I said, paces were up and down for most of them. The great thing about these sessions is they don't seem to take much out of you, considering the effort and paces involved.

Friday 28th - 8 mile easy, 8.43avg

Horrible morning with loads of rain, but wind wasn't as bad. Decided to run this as close to home as possible. The 8 miles actually went fast enough and before I knew it I was looking into a well earned rest day.

Sunday 1st - 12m@7.25

Call me strange but seeing a run with 7.xx as the pace is a welcome relief these days, no matter how long the run is. I still knew it would be tough though. Met up with a couple of folks from the new club for the warmup and off we went.

Their idea of warmup pace is significantly faster than mine so I was glad when the 2 warmup miles were over and they set off into the distance. I tried to settle into my pace. First few miles were a small bit slow but guess I was saving myself for the return miles against the wind. 7.40, 7.33, 7.31, 7.24

Middle miles were more like it, had to keep up the pace and not let myself relaxed really 7.24, 7.30, 7.26, 7.23

Started counting down the miles from here, legs were beginning to hurt but not as much as I'm used to these days. Finished up the last mile as my quickest 7.23, 7.26, 7.23, 7.14

Weekly mileage - 52
    Year to date - 401 miles

I've felt great this week, compared to last. My fear though, is that it was a stepback week and this is why I feel like I have a bit more energy. We'll see how next week goes. I already see that the paces have increased in my plan :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Mallow 10 week 5

Monday 2nd - 6m easy, 8.50avg

Easy 6 miles around the local park, legs were surprisingly fresh after the previous day's session. Not sure if it was this run or the day before, but I developed a nasty blister on the outer sole of my right foot. Was quite painful all day & got worse overnight.

Tuesday 3rd - 10x400m@85s w60s recovery

Was looking forward to a bit of speed but my foot was quite sore. Was hoping that it would numb itself after a few miles. After a 2 mile warmup, it was a bit better so off I went on the 400m reps. As with all my speed reps, I start off too fast and either slow or fade towards the end. Wish I could get the pacing a bit more stable. Anyway, reps were all on time and walked the recoveries

84, 84, 85, 82, 85, 85, 84, 84, 83, 83

Was definitely challenged on this one but I'm definitely strong on these speed sessions. They don't take much out of you recovery wise.

Wednesday 4th - 7 miles easy, 8.54avg

Foot was still at me so wanted to run on grass to minimise the pain, but I also had to take my new Pegasus 36 shoes out on a test run if I wanted to use them for the following days run. Ended up doing 4 miles in the new shoes on the road and the last 3 in the mud with spikes. At least it broke up the run. Soaked my feet all day and eventually the pain in the foot eased off.

Thursday 5th - 2x5miles@7.05 w 1m@8.30 float

Only found out about this run the previous day. Just as well as it didn't give me the chance to analysis or fear it for the week. Positives were it was a 7.xx pace, foot was pain free and had the spring of new shoes. No excuses either as there was no wind and weather was perfect. First set of 5 miles were ok, legs began to tire towards the end which was worrying

7.02, 7.11, 7.03, 7.03, 7.00

The float mile (8.23) went by so fast and before I knew it I had to set off again. It's not a good sign when you start to count down a 5 mile rep after 1 mile, so I was suffering. I'm never out of breath but my legs get heavier and heavier. By running these type of sessions, it will improve this feeling. Managed to get them done on time which made me happy

7.08, 7.05, 7.01, 6.58, 7.02

A nice 72 minute 10 mile ran there, with the float mile included. Guess the initial sub 70min aim for Dungarvan was a bit of a sandbag after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Serious run that today. I wouldn't be worried about tiring on that 2nd 5 mile rep. Sounds fairly normal, especially with the work you have been putting in lately. In fact, you should be more worried if you weren't:)

That was a savage session T, well done :)

And yes it's a firm competition between you & D for sandbagger of the year so far ;)

Serious run that today. I wouldn't be worried about tiring on that 2nd 5 mile rep. Sounds fairly normal, especially with the work you have been putting in lately. In fact, you should be more worried if you weren't:)

Thanks D, yea the more I think about that run the more I am happy with it. You all set for the race this weekend?
    That was a savage session T, well done :)

And yes it's a firm competition between you & D for sandbagger of the year so far ;)

Thanks E. I wish they gave out an award for that in the A/R forum. Speaking of sandbagging, what's your goal time for Bohermeen :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Treviso wrote: »
    Thanks D, yea the more I think about that run the more I am happy with it. You all set for the race this weekend?

ah, suppose I am. Mind wandering taper stage at the min for me, even more so then usual in the current climate

I am going to set out at 7:35/7:40 pace and take it as it comes hoping to pick things up later in the race. If i stick to this pace it will be a nice PB for me but even better if i can pick it up :D

I am going to set out at 7:35/7:40 pace and take it as it comes hoping to pick things up later in the race. If i stick to this pace it will be a nice PB for me but even better if i can pick it up :D

Avoiding the question.....you should be a politician :D

I know what you mean though, stick to that pace and see how you feel come mile 9/10. I'm certain you will pick up the pace significantly for the end miles - you've put in the hard work in training.

Treviso wrote: »
    Avoiding the question.....you should be a politician :D

I know what you mean though, stick to that pace and see how you feel come mile 9/10. I'm certain you will pick up the pace significantly for the end miles - you've put in the hard work in training.

Haha no idea what you mean T ;)

Yeah that would be great if it happens, we'll just have to wait & see :)

Will finish off this boring week of training before all the exciting race reports come in

Saturday 7th - 14m@7.35

I was heading out on the Saturday night so had to get this run done beforehand as I would be in no condition to do it on Sunday. After a rest day on Friday my legs were still feeling fatigued after the session on Thursday. I was fearing the worst for this one, especially with the wind being quite strong again. It turned out to be a horrendous slog from start to finish.

All miles were mostly a few seconds slower than the 7.35 but was happy with the effort. It's a bad sign when you're counting down the miles from 10. My legs were like jelly with 4 miles to go, had to really dig deep to complete them. Even the warm down mile was painful. I'm sure this run will stand to me. Mile times were
    7.41, 38, 36, 44, 42, 39, 37, 36, 42, 38, 37, 37, 31, 38

Sunday 8th - 5 mile easy

After quite a lot of pints on Saturday night and with my legs still in bits from Saturday, I gave this run a skip. Right choice in my hungover eyes

Weekly Mileage - 49.6
    Year to date - 451

Well done to everyone in their races today - some unbelievable performances put in

• Advertisement

Mallow 10 week 6

Well, what a difference a week makes. I guess everyone will be updating their log a bit more often these days. Taking the positives out of this scenario, no races to disrupt my training and running will provide a welcome escape from being confined to home most days.

Monday 9th - 8 easy, 9.06avg

Legs were ok for this, benefits from running Saturday and taking a hungover day on Sunday. Was soaked from start to finish for this run. Didn't think the paces were averaging over 9min but don't care either.

Tuesday 10th - 3x2m@6.55 w 1m@8min float

Got the Mallow 10 cancellation email just before this session. Spent the warmup trying to plan alternative races (futile now I know). Kinda felt this session would be ok, 3x2m a lot easier than 2x3m in my experience. First set were ok
    6.50, 6.53
    2nd set were tougher with a crosswind for the first mile and into a very strong wind for the last half mile. Really felt I was pushing this part, with my head to one side trying to breath. Was actually happy with the times
    6.57, 7.02
    Last set had a tailwind so was able to push it a bit more, without blasting it
    6.49, 6.46
    Was happy with the run but a bit pissed off with no race to go for. Guess it's something to get used to now

Wednesday 11th - 6m easy, 8.48avg

Back to the same route as Monday and was able to listen to some music for the first time in ages.

Thursday 12th - 15x35secs hill sprints

Haven't done a hill sprint session since early December, where I walked the recoveries and suffered from DOMs for two days afterwards! Not sure if the hill I picked was more favourable or it another sign of my improvements, but this one went so much better. Was able to jog all recoveries and run the hills at an increased pace. Hopefully won't have any DOMs tomorrow

Got my training plan altered to cater for the lack of races so it's going to be a couple of months of intense training before the next goal race, the Cork Half Marathon (if that even goes ahead).

Advertisement