Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RagFest20

• 10-02-2020 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,595 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Looks like the Hole in the Wall's makeover was only skin deep - attitudes haven't changed.

Rag Week turned into unofficial rag week with no fundraising and no official support. Now HITW have labelled it RagFest and linked fundraising for COPE Galway into the mix. Music from 10:30am Monday thru Thursday of this week, Donegaaaaal Tuesday is on the menu.

Wonder how COPE feel about this, given how much of their time is spend helping people clean up their lives from the aftermath of alcohol abuse.

Facebook post

Pics (I've got a small screen, couldn't get the whole thing in one screen-grab)

502395.PNG

502396.PNG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ubuntu entertainment? :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't think the weather on Monday or Tuesday will help festivities. Usually the two busiest days.

• Lucky b**tards. Loved the sessions in Rag Week.
    Hope the students have a fantastic week

• Would love to be facing into a solid week on the beer too, wouldn’t be going near the hole in the wall though.

Fair play to the students, was always a great week when I did it. Hope they enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I envy them. Wish I had the physical capacity to go drinking for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Great week of craic and harmless mischief. I remember those daze (ha) fondly!

Should be a recognised national holiday event, broaden the net to include working prefessionals too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

TAKE ME BACK!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

You're only young once, events like Rag Week can't be looked at through the prism of a grouchy middled aged buzzkill.

Was never able for it much though. After two days on it, I was always wrecked and couldn't go on. Great times!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Seems like the last 2 years were uneventful enough. The current crop may have more cop on than the 2007-2017 groups At least they the pub is collecting for charity at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Very tame this year. Not one youngster sat in a pool of vomit on the drive home through town. Sad to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Some craic back in the day.
    Hope they have a good time, enjoy themselves and mind each other.

Very tame this year. Not one youngster sat in a pool of vomit on the drive home through town. Sad to see.

Walked through town earlier. Aside from outside the pubs in Woodquay you'd barely know it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Haven't even seen one single picture or video yet of any drunken shenanigans. Not even a picture of a queue to get into a pub yet

For shame!

I have a theory, those who were children during the Celtic Tiger were off the rails when in their late teens and twenties. Those who were children in the recession years have more sense and control.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,595 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FitzShane wrote: »
    Haven't even seen one single picture or video yet of any drunken shenanigans. Not even a picture of a queue to get into a pub yet

For shame!

Try harder: https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/crowds-fill-eyre-street-for-day-long-drinking-on-donegal-tuesday/

It's not nearly as bad as last year, but Shop St is currently full of younger and louder than average club-goers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Try harder: https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/crowds-fill-eyre-street-for-day-long-drinking-on-donegal-tuesday/

It's not nearly as bad as last year, but Shop St is currently full of younger and louder than average club-goers.
    Are you lurking around for the shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,595 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you lurking around for the shift?

:-)

I'm in a pub in the area with a temporary 25+ age limit. Two lovely gentlemen here, I will likely will go home with the usual one.

It's terrible isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Louder than average?! Tis a disgrace Joe. If we don't stop this they may even start shouting.

• Wompa1 wrote: »
    I have a theory, those who were children during the Celtic Tiger were off the rails when in their late teens and twenties. Those who were children in the recession years have more sense and control.

Far more fond of the pills than the previous generation, rife among current 18 - 24 year olds ... be much better off sticking to the drink.

• Advertisement

Far more fond of the pills than the previous generation, rife among current 18 - 24 year olds ... be much better off sticking to the drink.

Which pills?

Alcohol and Xanax are two of the most dangerous substances to get addicted to as the withdrawals can kill you.

May have spoke too soon. Aniar had their window smashed and the TGO Falafel Bar bike\cart that operates in the market was taken and thrown into the canal. Not such a quiet week, apparently Tartare had their window smashed last week too though. May be that rowdy Novena crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It was quite messy in town last night and I was in an 'older person's pub' :pac: but one or two of the quieter rag lot were even in there. It was like water trying to find a level, with them trying loads of different pubs until they got in.

Apart from being shoved into and the odd stupid comment it seemed good natured but very p*ssed. Don't know why gangs of young men have to say something to EVERYBODY they pass, it must be tiring!

Just saw the post and the falafel cart found dumped in the canal. Gobsh*tes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Feels like it's been a good bit quieter around Woodquay direction this year which is usually the rowdiest part of town during rag week. The bad weather the last few nights has probably kept them off the street and confined indoors to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

You've clearly never had a decent yoke:p

https://connachttribune.ie/revellers-leave-city-in-rag%e2%80%88order/

Claims from the restaurant owner that he apprehended a student after the window was smashed but he wasn't one of the people involved. :pac:

J7YQOffh.jpg

• He also had a window broken the previous week yet that's not being highlighted at all as it wasn't rag week. People get awful worried when the same stuff that happens every other week happens on rag week.

He also had a window broken the previous week yet that's not being highlighted at all as it wasn't rag week. People get awful worried when the same stuff that happens every other week happens on rag week.

I don't think his windows get broken every week. If another one gets broken this week though, he may be getting targeted. From what I remember, he highlighted problems during Race Week too. But more on the grounds that people were getting p1ssed drunk and didn't bother showing up for dinner reservations.

It's interesting that the Gardai in Cork have praised the students down there for their behavior:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-students-praised-by-Gardai-for-their-behaviour-during-RAG-week-98990b5e-67cf-4809-947d-3773e1f0d27a-ds

and in the same article, it highlights NUI RAG Weeks and the cancellation. I have only lived in a few different parts of Ireland. The only one I ever noticed RAG Week in was Galway so maybe it is particularly disruptive here.

From what I remember back before it got cancelled. Someone smeared sh1te across the wall of a business down in Woodquay, the Fire Department was attacked with rocks and bottles by Dun na Coiribe, someone vandalized the mailbox at the post office on Eglington Street, a crowd of 'lads' lay on the road in front of buses in Eyre Square blocking them from getting out. A gang of 'lads' jumped on the back of a tow truck around Eyre Square too. Not to mention the cars that were damaged, the number of arrests and the unfortunate deaths that occurred during the weeks.

It seems like this year was pretty quiet by all accounts but there was fair reason for trying to cancel it.

If students are vandalizing businesses, they should get kicked out of the University. Particularly these days when insurance cost is such a huge problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Wompa1 wrote: »
    https://connachttribune.ie/revellers-leave-city-in-rag%e2%80%88order/

Claims from the restaurant owner that he apprehended a student after the window was smashed but he wasn't one of the people involved. :pac:

J7YQOffh.jpg

or a much more serious charge of kidnapping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Galway got a reputation as being the most craic during a RAG week, so people started to come here for the week from their own college somewhere else in Ireland. I even done myself the same once or twice, visiting friends in Limerick for their week. And while being biased towards Galway's NUIG week, I did think it was much better craic! People wanted to come to Galway and experience a new city, new pubs and locations etc and generally the idea of being somewhere where nobody knew you.

I know that a few years ago, in the height of the Donegal Tuesday problems, there was multiple buses driving from Donegal to Galway on the Tuesday morning of RAG week, just for people to go on the beer here, do what they want and leave again. Perhaps to not be seen again here for months or years. Do you think those people would care if they broke something down here? It might not actually be students based in Galway that performed vandalizing acts last week, or within the last few years. There's probably a higher chance that it was a student, or someone from Galway, but there is a chance that it was a visitor too.

While I was a student the year it happened, thankfully I didn't live in Dun na Coiribe for those incidents with the bottles. It was pretty shocking even for fellow students. I did live there the year previous and we actually had some decent congregations on the grass as from memory there was good weather that year. I also think that there might have been security doing patrols that year too I think and they were fair (or maybe we just self policed, to be honest it was about 10 years ago now so memory is a bit hazy!). Empty bottles etc back into a box or plastic bag to keep the place clean. Groups of 20 or so allowed, but anything more were told to break up. The congregations never got out of hands, while people were still allowed to sit and chat together, play music or with a ball.

Sometimes I think that a properly organised week in the college grounds with suitable charity events would result in less bad incidents in the city. Give the students events where they can partake in early in the day, say 14.00 or 15.00 which runs for an hour or two and then they can go into the college bar after that or back to their house for cans. Still gives them their day and/or night out, but also delays the drunkeness levels in the city until more 'normal' bar hours. Starting drinking at 11.00 am is a lot different to starting drinking at 15.00.

Advertisement