Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

substitution denial. is it a refusal?

Options
  • 17-02-2020 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Am looking to change my 17hmr (which I got for predator control (reason)) for something more suited to fox, because its not fair on them.

If I apply for a centerfire and its refused, is this a dreaded refusal?

Or should I just cancel the hmr and a new application?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not a refusal as you have the license and should substitution be refused you still have your original license. IOW you won't be without a license.

The only reason substitutions are refused is if it falls outside the parameters of substitution, those being (but not limited to)
    • Difference in reason for firearm (if it was originally issued for hunting, but now you want to do target shooting)
    • Difference in caliber (going from a .22lr to say 308)
    • Difference in type of firearm (going from shotgun to rifle)
    • Difference in status (going from restricted to unrestricted or vice versa)
    Some people don't have any of the problems above regardless of what they do for their substitution and others cannot change from a .22lr to another .22lr. Its a lottery at times and at the discretion of your FO (should be the Super, but the FO sends it to the Super and will stop anything that they believe to not be a sub).

What are you thinking of changing to (caliber/type of firearm) and do you intend to use it for the same purposes the original license was granted under?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Thanks.
    Was thinking of a 17 hornet, but only to make life easier for myself (same calibre), then read they are marginal on fox and have expensive/scarce ammo.

I only shoot about 6 foxes a year, when they come within a field of my fowl, and don't go looking for them. Yet still shoot longer range corvids and rabbits for food.

Reason still the same (predator control)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

slipperyox wrote: »
    Reason still the same (predator control)
    While its only an opinion i'd say if the reason stays the same then you should be good to change up to any varmint caliber (223, 204 possibly even swift).

While there is nothing to stop you going for a higher caliber anything that is deer legal will usually require additional good reason such as target shooting or deer stalking.

Its a PITA thing as there is no law to stop you having a 308 for foxes, but over the years it has become standard operating procedure (in other words a defacto law) for the Super to demand membership of a range or a deer stalking license in order to go for any rifle that is deer legal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Interestingly I was going to join courtlough as I work in Balbriggan. But, then again, they don't have a centerfire range yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

That's frustrating that they won't substitute but they are unlikely to deny it if you make a fresh application.

As cass said there's nothing in legislation preventing you from licensing a 308 for fox control. If it is unrestricted you only need a good reason. You do not need a good and sufficient reason for it meaning. Meaning that you don't have to justify why a 223 isn't enough for the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement