Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Paleobotany Thread- Prehistoric plants, trees etc

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I figured as much :P

Amber has preserved small vertebrates before. It's rare, but it happens. I can totally see say, a young chick of one of the smaller, tree-dwelling dinos being preserved that way.

475ca344bb74ed40abd06d537ca02e82.jpg

amber_kurbagafosili.jpg

CAjxOFIWYAAx6Fb.jpg

Satellite?blobcol=gfile&blobheader=image%2Fjpeg&blobkey=id&blobtable=GIA_MediaFile&blobwhere=1355958374137&ssbinary=true

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Linnaeus

Thanks, Adam. Wherever do you find these amazing photos? And your comments are always just as intriguing as the photos. You should publish books, really I must stress this...I can imagine some of your future best-sellers:

"Frozen in Time: a Gallery of the Most Beautiful Amber Fossils"

"Crocodile Mimics: the wonderful story of Phytosaurs and Aetosaurs"

"Tyrannosaurus Rex: lonely, misunderstood king of a dying world"

"When did man truly become man?" (written in collaboration with Wibbs!;))

You were born to be an author, researcher and scientist. This is no flattery. It's a fact.

Looking forward to your first published book!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That lizard (3rd pic above) is amazing. It appears to have got half stuck then something ate off the rear end before the rest of it was coated in amber?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

@Linnaeus, stay tuned! ;)

@looksee

I really have no idea why only the anterior body was preserved (maybe the piece of amber is incomplete to begin with?)
    If you're interested, the name of the lizard is Yantarogekko balticus and it's around 40-55 million years old. It appears to be a part of an extinct gecko group but it already had all the adaptations for climbing seein in many modern species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Linnaeus

Fantastic details!

The partial gecko shown in the article seems to have been removed from the amber for study. Is that correct? If so, it's about time that palaeontologists have gotten around to analyzing the anatomical parts of these fossils found in amber.

Chinese fossils reveal oldest known forest

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/08/fossil-haul-oldest-forest-asia-found/

forest.jpg
    Discovered near the town of Xinhang, China, the fossilized tree trunks date back to about 365 million years ago, and cover at least 2.7 million square feet, which is roughly the size of 47 American football fields. This means they now represent the oldest forest yet found in Asia,
    These prehistoric trees would not have looked like the woody, branched plants that shade our modern landscape, instead growing as simple, straight stalks. Their root system, however, was a surprisingly advanced variety that paved the way for the swampy forests of the Carboniferous period, the buried remnants of which make up the vast majority of the coal humans burn today.
    While the forest was expansive, the trees were probably relatively stumpy by modern standards. “It might be a forest that’s only as tall as we are,” she says.

Fossil formerly believed to be oldest example of bamboo in the world turns out to be a conifer:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200204091401.htm

Fossil-Holotype-Crop-777x546.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

not often I can say this but those plant remains give me the sreaming abdabs

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    not often I can say this but those plant remains give me the sreaming abdabs

Why? :pac:

Advertisement