Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stuck in a rut...

• 16-02-2020 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

Not my normal means of trying to work out an issue but here goes.

I am 25, already been through service as a Garda, a private investigator and now back working in the security industry.

I loved my time in the guards, i met some wonderful people and i helped some people who really needed it. I'm quite a soft touch and largely i left as i struggled to deal with some of what went on coupled with the work load. It is something i am considering going back too as the job satisfaction is unique but that is not guaranteed.

When i left, i was hired as a private investigator for an English company. Largely based in the area of insurance fraud. While i enjoyed this, i spent too much time away from home. Often 14-15 hour days.

Now, working in the security industry to try and pay the bills I feel a gaping hole has been left. I cannot seem to find meaning or satisfaction in what i do. I feel like I am losing my mind some days.

While i consider myself intelligent, i have the attention span of a goldfish. I could never endure education for longer than a few months. 4 year degree's scare me witless. All i have ever wanted to do is help people, i am not a materialistic person so money wasn't the goal.

I've looked at most of my options, further education, emigration, second jobs, volunteering and nothing seems to pan out. I have a reasonable amount of debt so priority number one is dealing with that.

All that taken into consideration, i would love some ideas/thoughts.

TY.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FGR

Hi Shaughnessy.

I'd say AH may not be the best place to get serious answers - PI/Work Problems is probably a better place for it. In fairness though that's a very genuine post.

When you say you served as a Garda - did you complete probation and get the bachelors in Applied Policing?

It's a document that, although restrictive, can be useful as regards obtaining a post grad. Have you considered that option while moonlighting in security?

Also - if you're thinking of going back into AGS - is that option still available? I remember hearing of members rejoining in the past if their prior service was excellent and worth the effort.

The workload is known to be hard going; and from what I've heard - with 'modernisation' it's only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shaughnessy00

The last time i posted here was for the recruitment and i never really used it for anything else. Maybe i will try there but to answer your questions.

I was about 10 months into service when i went sick. I had 14 months left on my probation and i was struggling to keep up.

So no, i did not receive the B.A

The fast food, long shifts and high stress didn't bode well and despite my best efforts i failed a mandatory fitness.
    Big blow for the morale.

Yeah the option is available, while i am unsure of the process i know it is there.
    Having had the time out and knowing what i know now will be invaluable and i can prepare myself more adequately.

I know it was difficult for my colleagues and my tutor as our station was vastly understaffed for the area but hopefully it will be a case of placement within a bigger station.

I never minded the workload, more so the need to juggle the course work with actual work and having some semblance of a personal life.

I'm open to any and all eventualities really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Private investigator...

This story sounds true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hey op (and I guess this advice goes to anyone else reading this)

I'm not one for college too. The whole idea of going to a classroom 5 days a week (or even a part time commitment) isn't for me.
    That said there is springboard courses. Free or partially paid from the government.
    A lot are online so you can learn at your own pace (sort of) We're talking about level 8 courses too. Not mickey mouse certificate courses. Look into them man.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,792 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Arghus wrote: »
    Private investigator...

This story sounds true.

There are many out there, though not many good ones. My wife worked with P. I.s all over the Country when she was in the financial sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There are many out there, though not many good ones. My wife worked with P. I.s all over the Country when she was in the financial sector.

I imagine being a PI is a weird job.
    I remember watching a documentary on RTE years ago and a lot of the job was trying to find out if someone was scamming with a claim (ie, I hurt my back then you see someone jogging)
    And also partners thinking their other half is cheating. Any truth in that?

I'm looking at trying to get my licence to work in the property sector, through the prsa as far as i know.

I don't see the purpose of studying something that i am not really interested in but certainly an idea B.A.

As for the truths of p.i work, i never worked on any cases involving cheating etc.
    All i ever worked with was insurance fraud, pretty much what you referred too.

Sore back, crutches etc.

It is a deeply odd job though, lots of time spent in the back of a van, parked for hours and hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,792 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I imagine being a PI is a weird job.
    I remember watching a documentary on RTE years ago and a lot of the job was trying to find out if someone was scamming with a claim (ie, I hurt my back then you see someone jogging)
    And also partners thinking their other half is cheating. Any truth in that?

I have no direct knowledge but I imagine marriages gone bad is quite a rich vein for PIs

In my wife's case she was pursuing people who simply stopped paying business loans and pled insufficient means when they were trading away and also private mortgage holders who jumped on the bandwagon of genuine hardship cases and simply stopped paying cos they knew the banks were on the Govt leash not to take possession of defaulter's homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yawn.

You did get a few bites though.

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    Yawn.

You did get a few bites though.
    Care to elaborate? I'm curious as to why you felt the need to take the amount of time it took, to tell me you were yawning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭feelthepower

Decent money in **** pigs these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

It is a deeply odd job though, lots of time spent in the back of a van, parked for hours and hours.

Have you considered prostitution?

They spend a considerable amount of time in the back of vans too! More exciting work though... ;)

You'll meet different people every day. You set your own prices, hours etc etc.

Something worth considering. Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

While i consider myself intelligent, i have the attention span of a goldfish. I could never endure education for longer than a few months. 4 year degree's scare me witless. All i have ever wanted to do is help people, i am not a materialistic person so money wasn't the goal.

I've looked at most of my options, further education, emigration, second jobs, volunteering and nothing seems to pan out. I have a reasonable amount of debt so priority number one is dealing with that.

TY.

That first paragraph sounds like adult ADD/ADHD - one of those weird conditions that you either have or don't believe in the existence of. Have you considered psychotherapy to have it tested?

This may help address he second problem - restlessness.

Also, maybe hang out with more creatives? Most of the professions you list are fairly serious and order-based.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Perhaps you could utilise your investigative skills working in the civil service (benefit fraud), insurance/ financial services or in immigration and customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hi all,

Not my normal means of trying to work out an issue but here goes.

I am 25, already been through service as a Garda, a private investigator and now back working in the security industry.

I loved my time in the guards, i met some wonderful people and i helped some people who really needed it. I'm quite a soft touch and largely i left as i struggled to deal with some of what went on coupled with the work load. It is something i am considering going back too as the job satisfaction is unique but that is not guaranteed.

When i left, i was hired as a private investigator for an English company. Largely based in the area of insurance fraud. While i enjoyed this, i spent too much time away from home. Often 14-15 hour days.

Now, working in the security industry to try and pay the bills I feel a gaping hole has been left. I cannot seem to find meaning or satisfaction in what i do. I feel like I am losing my mind some days.

TY.

Your still very young, so what if you find it hard to bed down in a particular role

Your a free agent, you'll figure it out yet

Don't think of a degree as being 4 years or whatever.

Think semester to semester and it is blocks of a few months each.

If you don't think you would last the full term look at options that provide qualifications along the way, say an higher certificate after two years, ordinary degree, honours degree.

Advertisement