Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAA Student Controller Program 2020

• 05-02-2020 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

With the closing date of Jan 31st now passed, they are sending out emails currently.

This year there looks to be an additional online assessment prior to attending FEAST/DART.
    Rumoured that the course will begin Sept 2020 or earlier. This will be the 4th intake in a couple of years.

How are people finding the online assessment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tristan100

I did the online assessment last night. I found it suspiciously easy, especially compared to the exam for Aer Lingus FPP.
    Anyone else waiting on results now? How soon do we normally hear feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My brother is in training for NATS in the UK, he's done his first year and now getting on the job training for the next few months. Decent salary and pension if you make it through, positions to applicants is a ridiculously low % mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Excited93

I did the online test the other day. Any one notice that there was no personality questions but there was in the practice ones from the link?

Also did anyone get a confirmation email that the online assessment was completed and received or do we just wait to hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

The personality questions will come later in the process during the 'work strengths profiling' after the FEAST/DART
    This initial selection assessment I imagine should indeed be 'easier' than the EI application assessment, as it is an initial screening. The FEAST/DART is where the real competition is. Best of luck all.

I got my invitation email this morning for the FEAST test on the 25th feb! And then if I pass the DART in the afternoon! Did anyone else get one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Tristan100

I got my invitation this morning also, for the 24th.
    Can someone tell me, if I get a place on the course am I guaranteed a job on completion?

Tristan100 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me, if I get a place on the course am I guaranteed a job on completion?

A job is not guaranteed on completion, but if they don't offer you a job you get the €85k worth of training for free, if they do offer you a job you have to work for 4 years or repay some or all of the amount depending on when you leave. Once qualified there are ample opportunities for an Air Traffic Controller, go work Tax Free in Dubai for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Tristan100 wrote: »

Strictly speaking, no, but they’re paying a sizeable sum to train people because they need them. Barring a massive downturn in the industry, you can expect to be hired if you successfully qualify (not something to be taken for granted, selection and training are very difficult and not everyone who starts training qualifies in the end)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mckclaudia

Just wondering if there’s any practice sites for these FEAST or DART tests????

chinese-food-600w-258918986.jpg

PA-7259395-768x512.jpg

• Advertisement

Mckclaudia wrote: »
    Just wondering if there’s any practice sites for these FEAST or DART tests????

There is software that claims to emulate the tests for practice purposes, but the overwhelming majority of people who get selected didn’t use it. (Correlation, not necessarily causation)

The tests are designed to test aptitude not preparation, so no prior knowledge or practice is assumed. In a way, preparing for the test could be seen as cheating yourself, because even if your practice gets you through the tests, it will not help you at all during the training, and you could end up getting picked for a training course for which you are not suited and find it very hard to complete.

All that said, one thing that you may find useful for the tests (and which would stand to you if you were selected to train) is getting to know what compass headings look like. There’s a Eurocontrol game for that in the comments of the reddit post linked in a comment above. Aside from that, try to arrive well rested, fed and watered. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

it's one of those tests where you have it or you don't...

ATC brains work in certain ways, it doesn't mean you're stupid or anything if you don't pass them,it just means your thought process and analytical thinking isn't the way that's required for ATC.

If you went to the hassle of studying, you're just cheating yourself really and you'll more than likely be found out during training, which depending who you do it with, could be quite costly.

Like what was mentioned above, have a good sleep, be well fed and watered and take the test somewhere isolated so it has your full attention. You have lots of time to do the practice rounds before the actual examined part.

Are the IAA expecting students to fund themselves again?

arccosh wrote: »
    Are the IAA expecting students to fund themselves again?

Yes it seems you would certainly have to have some sort of supplemental income, not sure €150 a week is enough to cover the cost of living for the duration.
    Do I get paid while participating in the Student Controller Programme?

With effect from our Student Controller Programme 17 Class (SCP17), students will receive a student allowance of €150 per week for the duration of training, until the commencement of OJTI.

https://www.iaa.ie/careers/student-controller-programme/frequently-asked-questions

that's rough...NATS is a far better alternative (or Eurocontrol if you're under 25)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

Just a thought, if you were offered to do FEAST by IAA and Eurocontrol in the next four weeks, which one would you pick ?

horsey63 wrote: »
    Just a thought, if you were offered to do FEAST by IAA and Eurocontrol in the next four weeks, which one would you pick ?

Probably do the test with the IAA to save the hassle of travelling to Maastricht. You can use the results of a FEAST test taken for one employer to apply at another that uses FEAST. Continue in both selection processes in the hopes that you’ll get an offer from both of them.

Edit: Actually, not sure if Eurocontrol use the Multipass test as well. If so, it might make sense to do it there, and use the results for the IAA

do both...

If you pass both, head to Eurocontrol, come back to Ireland when qualified and stayed the minimum term (if you want to at that point).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 YouEffOh

Anybody know what the salary is like for ATCs? I know it used to be really good, is that still the case?

• Advertisement

YouEffOh wrote: »
    Anybody know what the salary is like for ATCs? I know it used to be really good, is that still the case?

It pays very well, starting pay on qualification is @€;75k and it goes up with increments from there.
    Basic starting salary for fully qualified controllers is just under €51,000. With a shift allowance included, it comes to nearly €75,000. The maximum basic pay for controllers, including shift allowance, is more than €112,000.
    Figures this week from the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) reveal that the top 10pc of Irish air traffic controllers in Ireland are earning between €170,000 to €230,000 a year, while the average pay is €160,000.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-controllers-get-double-the-us-pay-packet-26624932.html

Inquitus wrote: »
    It pays very well, starting pay on qualification is @€;75k and it goes up with increments from there

This source is not accurate for new entrants post-2011. The starting figure is significantly lower, though the highest points are fairly close.

I’m sure if you emailed the IAA, they’d send you an up to date pay scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

arccosh wrote: »
    do both...

If you pass both, head to Eurocontrol, come back to Ireland when qualified and stayed the minimum term (if you want to at that point).

Unfortunately, you cant do both, as you're only allowed to sit a FEAST test once every two years, so following communication today, the decision is to sit the IAA ones and they can forward the results to Eurocontrol and see where things go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Inquitus wrote: »
    It pays very well, starting pay on qualification is @€;75k and it goes up with increments from there.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-controllers-get-double-the-us-pay-packet-26624932.html

Sorry... But i can tell you for a fact the starting salary is HALF that on completion of OJT.

Sorry... But i can tell you for a fact the starting salary is HALF that on completion of OJT.

To be fair, that €75k figure from the Indo article includes shift allowance, so when compared like for like, the current starting salary with shift allowance is close to 60% of that. So yeah, significantly lower but not quite half.

Anyone hear of roughly when the training would start?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Excited93 wrote: »
    Anyone hear of roughly when the training would start?

September ‘20

NATS is signifcantly, better the student weekly allowance is @ £350-£400 made up of a base salary of ;17k and a weekly allowance of up to £60. This rises significantly when you graduate and get placed in a permanent job, you also qualify for matched pension contributions while training.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Flyingfast

How did everybody get on this year? Sat the FEAST and was invited back on the afternoon for the DART.

Did anybody hear back from their DART results who sat earlier this week or do you think we will all hear once they have reviewed all results?

I had a few close conflicts on the radar screen but managed to avoid collisions if they were possible at all.

Best of luck to all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Beersmith

They said we will hear next week via email. The must just be taking the top 10% of performers to the next round or something. I estimate about 300 took the DART this week so maybe 30-50 will make it?

Advertisement