Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster vs Southern Kings, Fri 14th Feb 7:35pm; Eir Sport

• 13-02-2020 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Chris Farrell, Dan Goggin, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Neil Cronin;
    James Cronin, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Fineen Wycherley, Billy Holland (C); Jack O’Donoghue, John Hodnett, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Keynan Knox, Gavin Coombes, Chris Cloete, Nick McCarthy, Ben Healy, Rory Scannell.

John Hodnett makes his first Munster start. The article mentions game-time to be spread over the next three games which might explain the absence of Craig Casey.

Southern Kings:
    Schalk Ferreira, Jacques du Toit, Rossouw de Klerk, Jerry Sexton, JC Astle (C), Lusanda Badiyana, Bobby de Wee, Ruaan Lerm.
    Stefan Ungerer, Demetri Catrakilis, Edmund Ludick, Erich Cronje, Sibusiso Sithole, Christopher Hollis, Andell Loubser.

Alandre van Rooyen, Xandre Vos, Ignatius Prinsloo, Aston Fortuin, Thembelani Bholi, Luyolo Dapula, Josh Allderman, Courtney Winnaar.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/02/13/team-named-munster-side-to-face-southern-kings/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Brilliant to see Hodnett in. Wasn't sure he'd be getting much of a look in this season so that's a positive development. I think openside is where he'll remain and he'll hopefully develop into a SOB style flanker.

Casey should be in the 23 for all three of these games. His potential far exceeds McCarthy and/or Cronin. There won't be a better opportunity than the Kings at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Brilliant to see Hodnett in. Wasn't sure he'd be getting much of a look in this season so that's a positive development. I think openside is where he'll remain and he'll hopefully develop into a SOB style flanker.

Casey should be in the 23 for all three of these games. His potential far exceeds McCarthy and/or Cronin. There won't be a better opportunity than the Kings at home.

I think Hodnett got injured at the U20s in the summer, but I'm open to correction...

I think Hodnett got injured at the U20s in the summer, but I'm open to correction...

He did indeed. Was back playing by September though. Possibly suffered injury again since then. I would imagine his slow progress may be related to S&C . No harm in letting him develop physically. Despite his showings at U20 level, he's small for a senior forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Casey cant play every bloody game. Cronin and McCarthy must get game time too

slingerz wrote: »
    Casey cant play every bloody game. Cronin and McCarthy must get game time too

He's had 100 minutes this season. Why on earth can't he be in the 23 for games against the Kings, Zebre and home to the Scarlets during the 6N?

There's 240 minutes to go around. Casey should be getting the majority and hopefully he still will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Casey aside, I'm surprised Cronin is starting ahead of McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

McCarthy’s move south hasn’t been a roaring success so far. It’s possible he could be fourth choice by the end of this season.

I'd agree that Casey should be involved in all three games. There's three/four weeks rest before and after this block of three games so it's hardly a player welfare issue. I'd put JOS in the same bracket. I'd also question starting Arno Botha when it's a near certainty that his contract will not be renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I like the look of the back three, they could do damage with enough service.

I'd have started Healy and played JJ away to Zebre next week

Thats a real strong pack,

I guess JOD and Botha will provide experience around the debutant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

He's had 100 minutes this season. Why on earth can't he be in the 23 for games against the Kings, Zebre and home to the Scarlets during the 6N?

There's 240 minutes to go around. Casey should be getting the majority and hopefully he still will.

theres 240 minutes to go around. i would imagine they all will get 80 or so. he cant be in every game cos then mcarthy/Cronin are deprived of gametime. Its a squad game and JVG needs to involve the whole squad. Same goes for Coombes/JOS/Hodnett etc. Botha may be out of contract in the summer but he will still be needed in the remaining games this season

• Advertisement

Southern Kings:
    Schalk Ferreira, Jacques du Toit, Rossouw de Klerk, Jerry Sexton, JC Astle (C), Lusanda Badiyana, Bobby de Wee, Ruaan Lerm.
    Stefan Ungerer, Demetri Catrakilis, Edmund Ludick, Erich Cronje, Sibusiso Sithole, Christopher Hollis, Andell Loubser.

Alandre van Rooyen, Xandre Vos, Ignatius Prinsloo, Aston Fortuin, Thembelani Bholi, Luyolo Dapula, Josh Allderman, Courtney Winnaar.

stephen_n wrote: »
    McCarthy’s move south hasn’t been a roaring success so far. It’s possible he could be fourth choice by the end of this season.

Not to be harsh but it isn't exactly unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Southern Kings:

need to be very careful with that surname...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I’d say it was by him or he would have stayed put.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭jacothelad

need to be very careful with that surname...

Yes. Let's hope Sean Connery is never a guest sumariser.:D

Casey looks promising so it hopefully won't matter.

I'm just a little bit excited to see Snyman in these kinds of fixtures next season. I'm excited to see him in red generally, easily one of the biggest signings a province has made in recent years.

Rare you regain possession and still lose territory with a cross field kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Harsh Yellow?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Such a poor pass from Cronin to completely kill momentum and turn the ball over.

• Advertisement

Haley is infuriating.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Harsh Yellow?
    Nah. Can have little complaint, for me. Killed it illegally with his defence on the ropes.

Arno is having fun!

Hodnett has been busy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Cronin is so slow at times

The Kings 5 is a game ol fella and I mean that in the most unpatronising way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DeHood123

razorblunt wrote: »
    Cronin is so slow at times

The Kings 5 is a game ol fella and I mean that in the most unpatronising way.

Really???...think cronin has been very snappy so far and beautiful reverse pass to Daly that only bit of inventive play so far...

The guy just fell at Hodnett’s feet for that turnover, he’ll take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Been impressed by Hodnett tonight, but he was never supporting his own body weight for that steal. His knee was on the ground. Awful call from the ref.

DeHood123 wrote: »
    Really???...think cronin has been very snappy so far and beautiful reverse pass to Daly that only bit of inventive play so far...

Yeah there’s been one or two rucks where he’s taken an age to get set and pass it and that was with the kings retreating

• Advertisement

Feel sorry for the Kings. They're utter muck but the referee isn't someone who is sympathetic to the side getting tanked!

Advertisement