Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x04 - "Absolute Candour" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

• 13-02-2020 12:18pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

And since the episode and it's spoilers are out and about.

It felt fairly flat, which again wasn't helped by the main throwbacks and surprises being long ago spoiled by the trailers/teasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Nothing to see here - move along now

Was expecting more and the space fight felt...very amateurish

Patrick Stewart does look very frail in a lot of scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Oh, that was much better!

Really enjoyed it. Felt a lot tighter than the previous episode or two. The crew are all together and they seem to get on fine.

Jonathan Frakes directed this one and he always seems to be good with the actors. Everything and everyone, finally, felt pretty comfortable.

A few of the scenes with Picard and the Romulans weren't the best, but it didn't really matter.

Borg stuff moving slowly – well, everything moving pretty slowly I guess – but that's fine. The roadtrip is pretty good in the meantime.

The ship seems cool and all the VFX were great. This show looks amazing. Class seeing the old warbird too, with the old beam weapons.

I was hoping this would feel almost like "Episode 2", after the three part opening, and I think it really did. Was worried after last week but looking forward to more again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I enjoyed it too, it was slow and yeah a bit flat at first, but I really enjoyed the 3rd episode and I'm looking forward to more.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

I enjoyed it more than last week's episode I must say but still not without it's flaws.

The JL thing is still utter nonsense.

• I enjoyed it, but for a ten part series we should be at the end of episode two. Not the end of episode four.

I don't deny the episodes fly by. I watched an early voyager episode last night and it felt like a slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh that was so much fun!

Opposite to Vulcans! Wahey! :D Of course the Romulans have opposite to Vulcans!
    Though.. Yer man looks like a Legolas style elf from LOTR!

Anyway, enjoyed that finishing up battle and intro to Seven! Great Intro! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭sioda

Yup enjoyed that. The holographic crew works for me tbh.
    Still early days but get the feeling this will move a little quicker now we have a full crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Great episode, far better than last week. I really enjoyed it. Love how we're discovering more about Romulan culture, and loved all the holograms!

Oh and the original Romulan BOP, magnificent!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Poory paced nonsequitur story-telling of punishing banality. Don't really care anymore to take my review further than that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

There are now glimpses of the Picard we knew coming through.

Much better episode and I think we now have our crew in place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Burty330 wrote: »
    Poory paced nonsequitur story-telling of punishing banality. Don't really care anymore to take my review further than that.

You clearly hate Picard, “Klutzmann” et al...

Why on earth are you even watching. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Evade

This is painfully slow. Next week is the midpoint and it's still just getting started. I have to wonder if they changed from say 8 to 10 episodes on short notice. No doubt this is a really good looking series but I think the story could have done with a few more passes and some of the costume and set choices are odd to say the least.

I was prepared to drop this entirely if the Borg ritual bit had been serious.

Random thoughts as I watched the episode:
    • Prime thumbnail: The man from Chateaux Picard, he say yes
    • Planetary Shield?
    • I miss the grey Romulan aesthetic
    • Picard really rocking the white man's burden thing
    • Why does the Romulan refugee camp look so rustic, barely any technology?
    • Warp effect really has a sense of speed
    • Handy way to cheap out on sets
    • That first officer respect...
    • Jurati is the audience surrogate it is completely baffling
    • The Romulan secret police have an internal enemy...
    • Absolute candour sounds like hell
    • What's with this and STD's unnecessary alien language scenes?
    • JJ is that you? So much lens flare
    • Rafi's sass makes me miss Burnham's arrogance
    • Cash
    • Rapiers? What are they Klingons?
    • Romulan ale
    • Borg rituals? He better be pulling her leg
    • He was
    • Data can't be the only one to ever have saved him why is he so fixated?
    • How can he say bind your sword with a straight face it's so cheesy
    • Taking down the sign was so dumb. What ever happened to the Prime Directive?
    • Nice to see Emerson Gear have expanded their market to the former Romulan Empire
    • The Quark maneuver
    • Backswords
    • Is that Romulan banjo music in the background?
    • He's probably planted seed more than once
    • Human looking robots with an alleged plan? Not again
    • Space handbrake. Why can't they just go to warp?
    • Of all the things I expected Seven to be doing this wasn't one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Weird most thought last weeks episode was slow and this week great and I'm the opposite
    Really thought we would get to the story this week but it was just another set up episode
    The whole recruiting took up too much of the episode and how did the they destroy the bird of prey so easy - just ripped thru its wing. Even in TNG that wouldn't haven't happened
    Thought that whole part was very sloppy to just introduce Seven

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Seven of Nine looks well is about the best I can say.

This whole series so far has echos of other scifi/fantasy - The Matrix (green accents on Borg ship and especially the sweeping camera movements), LOTR's (Romulan's doing Elvish complete with swords and long hair style), Star Wars (Han Solo, procured ship).

This accents thing I don't get. Irish Romulan's and posh boy English? I mean, they are not from earth so it doesn't make much sense. They are supposed to be actors after all.

Oh and I was right, the hologram is changing characteristics from episode to episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The first 4 episodes should been an opening double episode. 4 episodes of The Orville would have been more fun. Still hoping it improves

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• silverharp wrote: »
    The first 4 episodes should been an opening double episode. 4 episodes of The Orville would have been more fun. Still hoping it improves

I said something similar.

As far as story progression we should be at 2 of 10. Not 4 of 10. And I could write a more plausible way to introduce 7 of 9.

Maybe a few less sex scenes of Soji and the Romulan(who we already know is bad), and less JL-chick bemoaning her loss of career and there might be more room.

Visually, a Romulan Samurai bodyguard looks great, but I can't help think of the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, with the sword wielding attacker and Indy just shoots him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I said something similar.

As far as story progression we should be at 2 of 10. Not 4 of 10. And I could write a more plausible way to introduce 7 of 9.

Maybe a few less sex scenes of Soji and the Romulan(who we already know is bad), and less JL-chick bemoaning her loss of career and there might be more room.

Visually, a Romulan Samurai bodyguard looks great, but I can't help think of the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, with the sword wielding attacker and Indy just shoots him.

Im not really digging Swindon Spock. As for the Romulan Samurai

https://twitter.com/Trekkie_47_1701/status/1227215744859090944

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Narek introduced Sogey to an old Borg tradition of sliding across the oil slicked corridors without shoes. Silly me for expecting some expanded insight into Borg lore and history. I should have known better.

Probably a bit too much of an elven/samurai thing going on with Elnor alright, but easily explained as being a kind of convergent development (sword warriors across cultures all tend to pick similar looks) or whatever.

I did enjoy that. Literally 30 seconds before I sat down a notification popped up on my phone with a headline saying that the episode sacrificed quality for more backstory, but I disagree.

The Romulan backstory is coming through in dribs and drabs. It seems Picard's grandstanding with Starfleet didn't go down well. Obviously plenty of people felt that he should have stuck with Starfleet and kept trying to help. His decision to quit and go sit in his vineyard was seen as abandonment. And that weighs heavily on Picard.

They're setting Elron up as the "Data" in this group. A boy, barely a man, with extraordinary talents and intelligence, fiercely loyal to Picard, but severely lacking in social and personal skills, that he will learn from Picard. I'm OK with that. He'll probably be a bit intense until they shake his character out.

I loved Seven's entrance. It seemed really odd for Picard to instantly recognise her, but I have to keep reminding myself that 20 years have passed. Seven would be infamous.

The Romulan kissy-face thing is grating on me a little bit. They don't really have any chemistry, and he comes across more like a "rabbit in the headlights" rather than a stone cold Tal Shiar agent. I am liking though that we get to see the characters more "humanised" than we ever did in the older series. We're seeing more of the humdrum day-to-day lives that we never saw before.

Still have a gut feeling that there's a tie-in with Discovery here. Soji being "The Destroyer", talk of the "end of all life", and Maddox has somehow magically created a biological android that the top expert believed was 1,000 years away. When is the last time we saw an AI that looked and acted completely human? Discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Y'know, they were able to reissue "Cats" digitally in cinemas to improve CGI. Couldn't they just do a quick dub of "JL"? :)

Anyway, pretty good episode. Not the best in the world but pretty good.

I like all the Emergency Insert-requirement-here Hologram thing. I like the idea that they all came as a sort of package. The whole hospitality hologram being pretty much not required was pretty funny (I F*cking HATE that holgram).

I don't know if it's intentional or not (I hope it is) but I find it funny that each hologram is pretty much a stereotype: The posh, efficient Brit doctor. The "Farehaven" Oirish navigator. The surly, tattoed (Portugese?) weapons officer, the gay hospitality hologram.

I HOPE they are intended to be OTT cos if not then somebody really needs to have a word the writers about diversity :)

But I look at them as the current thinking of Cloud Technology. All the buzzwords are about "Agile": Create and destroy as requirements demand: Need a navigator? Not the whole time. Just spin him up as required. Need a weapons officer?

As for the rest of the episode. Pretty good but had its issues (IMHO of course)

The Good
    • Seven of Nine's ship scene (Initially I thought it was gonna be Orla Brady "Saved yer holes, ya feckin' eejits"). I forgot Jeri Ryan was in the credits this episode.
    • "I f*cking HATE that hologram"
    • The confrontation with the Romulan senator. Initially I thought their resentment of Picard was pretty unrealistic. None of them would have been there but for his efforts. But the senator's speech was pretty good. You can see how anger and mistrust could lead to people coming to that conclusion. Especially a people who so distrusted outsiders. They are not going to change their mind overnight. And, y'know, there may even have been some truth in it (From a Starfleet POV as opposed to Picard's POV)
    • The chat with Romulan Ronin: "Now you need me, you come back". Thought it was a good scene and fits with how he treated other characters by simply ignoring them for 14 years.
    The Bad
    • JL
    • I find "Energetic younger flashback Picard" quite out of character. Picard was always quite reserved. TNG Picard (Only about 5 or 6 years before the flashbacks) would not have been as animated as he is in this episode's flashback.
    The Meh
    • Romulan Ronin: While I liked his scene with Picard above I hope that's not going to be the only development of his character. I hope he's not just going to be there to just look cool with a couple of swords on his back and spouting trite way-of-the-warrior type philosophy.
    • I like Alison Pill but her character hasn't done much yet.
    • OK, now the band's together, get on with the story

I like all the Emergency Insert-requirement-here Hologram thing. I like the idea that they all came as a sort of package. The whole hospitality hologram being pretty much not required was pretty funny (I F*cking HATE that holgram).

I don't know if it's intentional or not (I hope it is) but I find it funny that each hologram is pretty much a stereotype: The posh, efficient Brit doctor. The "Farehaven" Oirish navigator. The surly, tattoed (Portugese?) weapons officer, the gay hospitality hologram.
    It's definitely intentional. In his boredom he has modified the emergency holograms to all look like him with different stereotype personalities.

He called this one "Emmett", which I assume is because it's called the EMErgency Tactical Hologram or something.

A nice touch in this case was the "lazy gringo" stereotype where he seems to be just sitting there and not doing anything. Of course, he doesn't need to touch anything, he's integrated into the ship's systems and can do whatever he wants without touching the controls. The purpose of the hologram is to provide an entity for the crew to talk to directly about tactical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Evade

Gringo refers to non latinos, usually Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Rawr

The Bad
    • JL
    • I find "Energetic younger flashback Picard" quite out of character. Picard was always quite reserved. TNG Picard (Only about 5 or 6 years before the flashbacks) would not have been as animated as he is in this episode's flashback.

This threw me off a little too. It felt less like Jean Luc Picard, and more like Patrick Steward himself who had gone to help the Romulans in those scenes. They were still good scenes...but that wasn't Picard.

All-round OK episode, with my main complaint being the scenes on the Cube. They teased us with a possible reveal of what the Borg had done to that transport ship, which hasn't paid off yet. Teased us with a Borg "ritual" which was just a setup. Instead we get a continuation of a romance angle that frankly is quite boring.

Also more of the cartoonishly evil double agent sister; who I'm also currently bored of:
    "Get that information out of Soji, or I will use my *evil* to extract it from her!! MU HA HA HA HAAAA!"
    It's just....I don't care....she's far too 2-Dimensional

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

various wrote:
    get on with the story

I _really_ didn't mind that in this episode. I feel like arriving on $planet for $reasons and discovering / learning about $things is what I'd been waiting for.

They're obviously not going to conclude any big story points in episode four of a ten part series. They'll get there evenutally, or one piece at a time. That's just how TV works, isn't it?

In the meantime, $planet for $reasons and learning more about $things sounds good to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Goodshape wrote: »
    I _really_ didn't mind that in this episode. I feel like arriving on $planet for $reasons and discovering / learning about $things is what I'd been waiting for.

They're obviously not going to conclude any big story points in episode four of a ten part series. They'll get there evenutally, or one piece at a time. That's just how TV works, isn't it?

In the meantime, $planet for $reasons and learning more about $things sounds good to me!

I have concrete information from an inside source **

The last scene will see Picard at the artifact, quite traumatised given his history with The Borg. As he walks through the cube, all the ex-Borg will turn to him, looking at him like some kind of messiah. He will stop and turn to the sound of a voice. Data will appear, complete in his TNG-era uniform and say: "We have been waiting. Welcome, Captain. Or should I say: Welcome HOME Locutous"

Den den dennnnnnnn. Oh and the eeeeeevil sister will be... looped arm-in-arm with Data showing she's no problem with anatomically-correct synthetics. (It's Star Trek so evil means sexy times)

** this is a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,851 ✭✭✭✭Stark

** this is a lie

Damnit.

Anyway, you just described the plot to First Contact. (Just replace evil sister with Borg Queen).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

As long as one good thing happens every episode, I'm happy enough. This week it was Seven of Nine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I enjoyed that episode more than last week's. Though the feel of Tolkien coming off of that Romulan order was strong. All very mythological. The old war bird was a nice cameo and IMO had a good tie in with the canon; I can imagine a whole industry of mothballed tech being used by privateers (IIRC, the Mandalorian did the exact same thing with one of its episodes and an old ATST).

Yeah again the pacing could be better, but I enjoyed the story contained within so forgave the dithering. At least the twin is in one place so there won't be too much "shucks you just missed her!" nonsense. Though I'm prepared for season 1 ending with our heroes only just meeting the twin before making their escape.

Again minus points for the surprise at the end being completely blown by the trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone catch the little head tilt thing that Soji did as she was walking with Narek to the "Borg Ritual"?
    Was very reminiscent of Data when he would find thing "curious" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched it there now.

I have to say that I struggled to get through that episode. It felt more like ''Lord of The Rings The Fellowship'' than Star Trek for most of it what with the recruiting and the swords and swordfights but that ending with the Romulan Bord of Prey and then Seven coming onboard was worth it. I had guessed it was her. I don't think Romulans would struggle. They had a whole planet there with lots of resources on it and they are a very resorceful people that have been through a lot. I think they would have thrived and started a new Romulas on that world. I thought the Romulan BOP looked stunning. I liked Sevens ship as well. It looked cooler than the ship they are on.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.