Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Questionnaire*: When is it time for new running shoes?

Options
  • 12-02-2020 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi Runners,

I thought it could be interesting to put together a short questionnaire on how we manage our running shoes, when we replace & some of the related factors.

Running shoe companies have set out some guidelines for shoe replacement: Asics says about 450 to 550 miles. Brooks differentiates between their shoe models, suggesting that you can get 300-500 miles from their everyday pairs, or about 250-300 miles from their lightweight racers. A Saucony rep says about 300-500 miles, depending on your gait. Two of the big American running stores (Road Runner Sports , REI) write online that you can expect up to about 500 miles from a pair.

But what are people doing in the real world? I will report back with the data and statistics from this short questionnaire....it will be fun!

https://is.gd/runningshoewear

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parkrun

Was about to fill it out, then seen 'non binary' as a gender option. I closed it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

In fairness, I just followed best practice guidelines for asking about gender:

https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3338283

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rossi7

Parkrun wrote: »
    Was about to fill it out, then seen 'non binary' as a gender option. I closed it down.

So much for your user name advocating "inclusiveness and wellbeing" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Rossi7 wrote: »

Not to mention the uppercase 'p' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parkrun

Rossi7 wrote: »
    I'm totally for advocating inclusiveness & wellbeing for all males and females, 100%.

• Advertisement

Ok @Parkrun.
    I'm just happy if this thread is seen by more people.

174 respondents, but mainly participants identifying as male! Be great to get more of a mix :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Done, and it's nice to see some inclusivity in survey design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

i don't keep track of how many miles I use them before I change them, sorry!

Thanks @ivorytower - i ask about other ways people decide when it's time to replace too....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

What brand do you wear - Adidas
    What Model - no adidas in the list :eek:

Maybe if you spent more time on the *actual* intention of the survey i.e. how long do your shoes last, it might be worthwhile.

FWIW, I wear Adidas Ultraboost. My current longest wearing pair have about 650 miles on them. Previously retired pair had 850

• Advertisement

Adidas is in the List (everyday shoes). And there's space to add it in as 'Other' for space.
    I pulled a list of bestselling models for each broad categorisation.

Who knows how long shoes actually last? There is no singular test available for this. I'm interested in strategies people take to determine. It was just meant as a bit of fun, and maybe I would design a proper study if anything interesting emerges.

chrismean wrote: »
    Thanks @ivorytower - i ask about other ways people decide when it's time to replace too....

Okay yes I didn't have to answer it, done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi Runners,

I thought it could be interesting to put together a short questionnaire on how we manage our running shoes, when we replace & some of the related factors.

Running shoe companies have set out some guidelines for shoe replacement: Asics says about 450 to 550 miles. Brooks differentiates between their shoe models, suggesting that you can get 300-500 miles from their everyday pairs, or about 250-300 miles from their lightweight racers. A Saucony rep says about 300-500 miles, depending on your gait. Two of the big American running stores (Road Runner Sports , REI) write online that you can expect up to about 500 miles from a pair.

But what are people doing in the real world? I will report back with the data and statistics from this short questionnaire....it will be fun!

Do you mind me asking, what is your intention with the results of the survey.

In a remarkable coincidence there is the exact same thread on letsrun and would you believe I was also started yesterday.

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9835658#9836545

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi Runners,

Do you mind me asking, what is your intention with the results of the survey.

In a remarkable coincidence there is the exact same thread on letsrun and would you believe I was also started yesterday.

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9835658#9836545

Just out of general curiosity really. I couldn't find any good data on shoe changing behaviour - and i thought it could be interesting to look at with a rough and ready questionnaire.

ARE YOU NIKE

HA I wish!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,258 ✭✭✭✭ted1

HA I wish!

Decathlon?

Some brief results:

Who answered? Most respondents were male (n=224, 85,8%), weighing between 60 and 80kgs (ca. 70%) and the age category 40-50 years was the most selected (22.5%). Most reported a neutral style (51%), midfoot striking (57%) and 28% (the largest category) ran between 60 and 80km a week. Finally, the majority reported running for the previous 5- 10 years (37%).

What shoes are people wearing? Nike was the most popular shoe brand for everyday trainers (26.6%; Pegasus specifically 15.4% selected), with Brooks the 2nd most popular (16%). Nike was also the clear winner for the fast speed workout shoe, with 43% selecting the category.

When and why are people changing shoes? For everyday shoes, we have a 2-peak distribution of responses, at 500-600km (16%) and the "late changers" at 1100- 1200 km (14.2%). Most are reporting changing their fast shoes much earlier, with 40% saying they changed their shoes between 300 and 500km.

People primarily changed their shoe when it felt "dead" (60%), in the hope of avoiding injury (75.5%).

Figure: Counts of respondents selecting each category (kms at which you change your shoes)

Advertisement