Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Glad you like the stainless steel version since that is the one that will be produced for the campaign. Earlier on due to some people being concerned with the plating it was decided to move away from the rose gold version.

After a few months of intentional rough use/abuse I can say the rose gold plating on the test model has held up completely so far. Today's pvd plating processes might be better than the old electroplating of the past. But anyway people were right in suggesting stainless steel will appeal to more potential customers.

Once the sample production models are sent to me I'll put up some more photos/videos of the whole thing.
    You_Son_of_a_Bitch%2C_I%E2%80%99m_In_%28Morty%29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's a great looking watch and it's great to see the thought that's gone into it. Stuff like the clasp and springbars. Most people would go for a standard buckle and springbar. I hate standard buckles and quick release springbars are so much better, I wouldn't buy a strap without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's a great looking watch and it's great to see the thought that's gone into it. Stuff like the clasp and springbars. Most people would go for a standard buckle and springbar. I hate standard buckles and quick release springbars are so much better, I wouldn't buy a strap without them.

Hopefully the WISers on the internet will see that it was a watch designed (from a technical point of view) from a useful/feature packed point of view (that's where the money is being spent). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so the design is relatively "safe" - though still having "sparkly" aventurine glass is still somewhat "out there" for a dress watch.

Now that the movement has been revealed - see why I like quick release springbars - one handed watch strap removal :D

https://youtu.be/kHPKrN-5CGU

Of course - to prevent damage to lugs etc. you'd use two hands but just showing how much easier it is to change the straps quickly with quick release bars instead.

edit: seems like my unlisted videos don't allow for direct linking - I think to see the video you'll need to click through to youtube itself. Unlisted because the movement hasn't been revealed in general yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Get rid of the gmail email address and use one associated with the brand / domain.

ie info@solaswatches.com or sales@solaswatches.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Here's the direct link so hopefully this works.

AFAIR unlisted vids don't embed so easily.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Quick one handed work there, id say your some man to get a bra off in under a second.

lordlame wrote: »
    Get rid of the gmail email address and use one associated with the brand / domain.

ie info@solaswatches.com or sales@solaswatches.com

I was thinking about that - you are very correct that "gosh this gmail malarky is like posting a bebo/myspace link to a linkedin page" - but I'm even thinking that a website itself isn't the "in" thing anymore now that instagram/facebook/reddit etc. are in - it is about spending money on this mini-project wisely.

I know some people will probably think "if the dude isn't willing to spend $5 a month on dedicated email hosting - how professional can he be?" - but I guess that's the point in a way - got the domain and website because it cost me 99c. I am thinking currently that most queries/info will be provided within the kickstarter platform itself, rather than through "legacy" email. Equally I'm not spending on professional videography/photos of the product - I was a semi-professional (occasionally paid for work) photographer for fun so was going to supply my own videos/photos. All peripheral costs being kept to minimum where possible and trying to maximise value by putting funds into the watch itself.

It'll be interesting to see if this fact disturbs many/any potential kickstarter backers though. I did think about it and decided against adding another monthly fixed cost (prior to seeing what interest is out there via kickstarter anyway).
    funkyouup wrote: »
    Quick one handed work there, id say your some man to get a bra off in under a second.

Until you get confounded by a front opening one :confused: - click and slide btw :p

Nothing on this guy though:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsKFReBUiZU (7 seconds from fully dressed to...not)

Some more photos of the design - the cases (from two different factories) have been made - in trying to do this right (and not do it cheap) I'm getting two separate factories to make production samples - it means that my "R&D" portion of costs are almost doubled - but it's worth it I think to get something physically made to see what issues/reliability a potential factory partner comes up with.

The proof is in the pudding after all - many people can make a good 3d CAD photo - but actually getting the case shaped and dials sanded down - that's a whole different story.

So here are some of the latest photos to come out from the factories - after Chinese New Year I should be able to share photos of the finalised product (and start the promotional phase of Sólás).

499973.jpg

499974.jpg

By the way - does anyone have questions they'd like to have answered while I'm meeting the various factory representatives?

Just at Frankfurt airport - who could imagine that there would be an Omega display without one speedmaster?

:D - you can clearly tell this display is marketed towards their Chinese clientele - mostly constellation and aquaterras etc - very few seamasters even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi, eagerly following this thread and best of luck on your journey

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Just at Frankfurt airport - who could imagine that there would be an Omega display without one speedmaster?

:D - you can clearly tell this display is marketed towards their Chinese clientele - mostly constellation and aquaterras etc - very few seamasters even.

The Seamasters are on the wall at the back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Thirdfox wrote:
    If this brand’s initial model proves to be successful, I will definitely explore the possibility of using Irish parts – for example Irish made leather straps – in future Irish projects.

Just found this very interesting and interesting thread. Very impressed by your adventure and wish you every success. Will your first edition be a limited edition? I will also be interested in acquiring one. Best wishes.

hammerdub wrote: »
    Just found this very interesting and interesting thread. Very impressed by your adventure and wish you every success. Will your first edition be a limited edition? I will also be interested in acquiring one. Best wishes.

It'll be more "limited" than Omega's ones anyway :D - realistically it'll be around 300-400+ pieces I'm hoping will be made.

And yes officially it'll be a limited edition (as Gaelige though) - all micro-brands starting off make "limited editions" I imagine since there's no ability to make 1000+ right off the bat.

In Beijing with my facemask on currently - happy Chinese New Year everyone btw - year of the rat coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

It'll be more "limited" than Omega's ones anyway :D - realistically it'll be around 300-400+ pieces I'm hoping will be made.

And yes officially it'll be a limited edition (as Gaelige though) - all micro-brands starting off make "limited editions" I imagine since there's no ability to make 1000+ right off the bat.

In Beijing with my facemask on currently - happy Chinese New Year everyone btw - year of the rat coming up.

Hope you and your family etc are safe at the moment in China and don't get stranded or stuck!

Hope you and your family etc are safe at the moment in China and don't get stranded or stuck!

Weirdly, it just occurred to me to post something similar!
    Hope all is well Thirdfox, stay safe and well buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Indeed, +1 to these sentiments.
    Stay safe chap, hope you and yours are healthy and well.

Many thanks for the well wishes guys - all of the extended family are safe in China (as are my proposed factory partners also). A very successful meeting took place and we got to understand each other much better. There were some delays (unrelated to the health crisis) that will now take a while longer to resolve than initially thought.

...Obviously other much more important events have overshadowed the watch production side of things. It was very eery seeing Beijing so empty of people.

Currently home and partaking in a week or two of self-quarantining for everyone's sake - was cooped up with extended family for the few weeks I was back so should absolutely be fine but it is prudent to follow best medical advice. Thankfully I'm already set up for working at home.

Hopefully things get better soon and once things get back on track I'll provide some more updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@ThirdFox: Fair play, mate.

Glad to hear you're well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I know why I like this watch so much. One of my favourite watches at the moment is the Jaeger Le Coultre Master ultra thin. This isn't a a million miles off the design.

Jaeger-LeCoultre-Q1358470--Master-Grande-Ultra-Thin-Black-Dial-SS-20381-2.jpg

• Advertisement

That isn't a million miles off actually - though I would say that my design thoughts were more influenced by the possession of my Beijing Beihai 3.0 (which itself was heavily influenced by Patek's Gondolo 5111G):
    patek-philippe-gondolo-5111g-12006.jpg

I personally particularly like how the case lugs had an extra "playful" twist to them rather than ending straight into the case and that's why I carried this element from the Beihai (and I'm sure that was inspired by another design at another point in time) into the Starlight.

The actual design reasoning I chose the triangular indices over rectangular was that the triangular indices represent a fada better than rectangles - at least in the context of the script used for the Sólás logo.

I think with classic dress watches - there's only so many ways you can present the hands/indices etc. and remain "classical" - hand on heart I hadn't seen that JLC (at least consciously had it in mind when designing the starlight). There definitely was no intention to homage anyone's design - but just to consider what would fit best within my vision of what the watch should represent.

https://www.watchfinder.ie/Jaeger-LeCoultre/Master%20Ultra-Thin/1288420/31800/item/152201?searchId=9362f748-0bab-4886-8906-a76d186a94ba&rank=3

Looking at the JLC stats - the date version comes in at a super nice thin 7.45mm with auto-winding - add in 1-2mm for an aventurine dial upgrade and you get to about the same as the Starlight :D - slightly dearer with a retail price of E7730 :P (I kid - that JLC looks beautiful - though I couldn't justify spending 7k on a 3 hander date watch to my family!)

As for production - the factories in Guangzhou are currently still closed - my partners have said to me that it's unlikely anything will be sent out this side of February now sadly. Good news is that everyone over there appears to be in good health and *fingers crossed* the quarantine measures appear to be working with a drop in cases (despite the big rise today due to a recategorisation of how they calculate infections). If all things remain stable/improve they expect factories to open around next week and start going through the backlog then.

And feck it - my website update was already waiting so long for the production version of the watches to arrive I've decided to launch what I have to start building some interest. It's more a "friends and family" launch right now as I'll probably/may(?) be taking down the prototype photos in case people start asking "can I have prototype 1.4 instead of your production version???" - Model T it is - just one version - simples...

Photos will be updated in time to reflect the actual production version of the watch - but the website has now been updated to display the text at least and older placeholder photos.

Have a look at the update at -
    https://solaswatches.com/

Let me know if anything isn't rendering correctly (it was made with computer screen viewing in mind but I think it still looks ok on mobile browsers too). Grammar nazis and constructive criticism always appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Were you in a TV show? Maybe on TG4

shutup wrote: »
    Were you in a TV show? Maybe on TG4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Ming_Is_Ainm_Dom

It was an Irish short film - often shown afterwards on TG4 (and in many schools I believe :D ).

It was an Irish short film - often shown afterwards on TG4 (and in many schools I believe :D ).

Celebrity endorsement!

You son of a bitch! I'm in!

again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭893bet

Really looking forward to this.

Might leave the stickers on and be on the antique road show in 30 years and be told the watch is with 2 million!!

(In thirty years time the price of a pint will prob be 100 quid!)

893bet wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this.

Might leave the stickers on and be on the antique road show in 30 years and be told the watch is with 2 million!!

(In thirty years time the price of a pint will prob be 100 quid!)

Ha - well you could always buy two - one for the safe and one for the wrist :P

Make no guarantees that it'll be go up in value - but I will be trying my very best to keep the brand alive and well going into the future (as long as I continue to have ideas for watches that make might cater to people's wants/desires).

Who knows - maybe one day there'll be a Sólás Sonata - an affordable minute repeater :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭893bet

Cienciano wrote: »
    I know why I like this watch so much. One of my favourite watches at the moment is the Jaeger Le Coultre Master ultra thin. This isn't a a million miles off the design.

[IMG[/IMG]

This watch keeps me awake at night.

My preference is the grey faced gold moon phase but they are serious €€!

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands-on-an-exercise-in-subtlety-the-jaeger-lecoultre-master-ultra-thin-moon/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

GTFO... :eek: Brilliant. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    GTFO... :eek: Brilliant. :D

You would say that (what with your boards avatar and all) - Frank was a gent to work with btw and a true gaeilgeoir too.

It's why I feel confident in claiming "Irishness" :pac: for the brand, like those pesky Normans...became more Irish than the Irish themselves...

Advertisement