Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult autism assessment

• 12-02-2020 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone knw of an aldult austim assessment place in Waterford ??

The public health service is a nightmare and I'm finding it hard to find a worthwhile assessment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

You could try Lighthouse Psychology in Dunmore East

• Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You could try Lighthouse Psychology in Dunmore East

Thanks for that That could be right what I need

The public mental health is a joke, just go in see a doctor every few weeks ask a few questions and then just prescripts anti depressants etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Adult autism supports are very poor in Ireland, I'm only recently diagnosed myself, and slowly realising this. I believe that The Education, Psychology and Therapy Clinic t/a EPT Clinic, kilkenny, Are suppose to very good, but bring your wallet, It could potentially cost you a couple of grand for a full assessment

Autism outreach service, Cara outreach, operates out the national learning network building on the main ida industrial estate in Waterford, you will need an official diagnosis in order to gain access to their services, which are largely employment related.

Shop around for an assessment, fees can vary widely, consult with your medical professionals, baring in mind, some medical professionals are poor at understanding developmental disorders. Do not go for the cheapest option, I done this and now regret it, as it was a very poor assessment. Best of luck

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Adult autism supports are very poor in Ireland, I'm only recently diagnosed myself, and slowly realising this. I believe that The Education, Psychology and Therapy Clinic t/a EPT Clinic, kilkenny, Are suppose to very good, but bring your wallet, It could potentially cost you a couple of grand for a full assessment

Autism outreach service, Cara outreach, operates out the national learning network building on the main ida industrial estate in Waterford, you will need an official diagnosis in order to gain access to their services, which are largely employment related.

Shop around for an assessment, fees can vary widely, consult with your medical professionals, baring in mind, some medical professionals are poor at understanding developmental disorders. Do not go for the cheapest option, I done this and now regret it, as it was a very poor assessment. Best of luck

Thanks for the feedback, I'll ring around and see. Its needs to be done once and for all. When I have an official diagnosis I want to then see what support and how too deal with issues

Find the services in st johns (formerly brooke house) are poor and only there to hand you medication that doesn't work (in my case that was). Some GPs are also very poor at dealing with these issues

PM me if u need to give me advice etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Thanks for that That could be right what I need

The public mental health is a joke, just go in see a doctor every few weeks ask a few questions and then just prescripts anti depressants etc

That's the psychiatrists job. They don't do assessments on autism.
    They're there to get a quick assessment and talk to you about medication or other treatment options and see how you're doing in general.

You need a psychologist.

The HSE may or may not offer you a psychologist for an autism assessment. You need to speak to the psychiatrist or your mental health nurse and ask for one.

• Advertisement

sweet_trip wrote: »
    That's the psychiatrists job. They don't do assessments on autism.
    They're there to get a quick assessment and talk to you about medication or other treatment options and see how you're doing in general.

You need a psychologist.

The HSE may or may not offer you a psychologist for an autism assessment. You need to speak to the psychiatrist or your mental health nurse and ask for one.

I got an appointment for the place in dunmore but I'm on a waiting list

I just found the whole mental health system confusing. Brook house was not a counselling place where I could talk about issues. Its was just a revolving door of quick check ups and medication prescriptions.

Need an official diagnosis this time round no going around in confusing circles

Got an appointment for next week for a doctor from the 'Cork clinical Psychology' who have appointments here twice a week

Hopefully I finally get an answer from this

Got an appointment for next week for a doctor from the 'Cork clinical Psychology' who have appointments here twice a week

Hopefully I finally get an answer from this

is that another private clinic in cork? how did you get in contact with them?

is that another private clinic in cork? how did you get in contact with them?

Got it through here

https://www.whatclinic.com/psychologists/ireland/county-waterford/waterford/cork-clinical-psychology

They do appointments in Waterford Tuesdays and Thursdays in a premises on Catherines street

€550 for assignment and report

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gildan

Best of luck OP. A close friend was recently diagnosed by a behavioural psychologist and occupational therapist, i know it was a multi-disciplinary team and it was a couple of interviews and some testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Hi OP, have you the name of the clinical psychologist? This seems quite low a cost relative to typical charges for an asd assessment. Please make sure the psychologist is a clinical psychologist and is registered with either the British psychology society or PSI, psychology society of ireland. Regulation can be poor in ireland and those who are clinically trained as opposed to a generic psychology degree are best qualified to diagnose
    . ASPIRE are a useful organisation run by Adam Harris who may guide you. Best of luck OP

Hi OP, have you the name of the clinical psychologist? This seems quite low a cost relative to typical charges for an asd assessment. Please make sure the psychologist is a clinical psychologist and is registered with either the British psychology society or PSI, psychology society of ireland. Regulation can be poor in ireland and those who are clinically trained as opposed to a generic psychology degree are best qualified to diagnose
    . ASPIRE are a useful organisation run by Adam Harris who may guide you. Best of luck OP

adam harris runs as i am, aspire is a different but equally good autism resource

https://asiam.ie/

adam harris runs as i am, aspire is a different but equally good autism resource

https://asiam.ie/

Ah thanks Wanderer78, got mixed up

Following on from this, coincidentally I had just read a post on Twitter regarding someone querying the validity of a psychologists qualifications... hence my advice. OP, without wishing to confuse you further please do your research before attending an appointment. Undergoing an ASD ax can be stressful and emotive and it's important people are assessed by those with the correct qualifications. Regulation in ireland remains poor. Again best of luck OP.

Following on from this, coincidentally I had just read a post on Twitter regarding someone querying the validity of a psychologists qualifications... hence my advice. OP, without wishing to confuse you further please do your research before attending an appointment. Undergoing an ASD ax can be stressful and emotive and it's important people are assessed by those with the correct qualifications. Regulation in ireland remains poor. Again best of luck OP.

Absolutely second this, regulation is virtually nonexistent in Ireland on this

The doctor seems to be acrdited from the BPS (British Psychological society)

https://fionao71.tumblr.com/... I think this may be the same person.. psychologist seems to use numerous names. I would always suggest a quick Google... other surnames used are ward-fahy, Daniels, goldsmith. Because it's stated on her website, doesn't necessarily mean that's the case.
    Contact Asiam or Aspire for a solid recommendation.

https://fionao71.tumblr.com/... I think this may be the same person.. psychologist seems to use numerous names. I would always suggest a quick Google... other surnames used are ward-fahy, Daniels, goldsmith. Because it's stated on her website, doesn't necessarily mean that's the case.

i was told to run a mile from one of those names you mentioned. unfortunately op, as ive said to you before, autism assessment is a mine field in ireland, id completely agree with the advice above, and contact organisations such as aspire and asiam before committing to anyone, id also include your medical professionals, in particular your gp in this process

Thanks for that piece

Nope think I will go back to the drawing board, how someone can do something like that is beyond me

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote:
    Nope think I will go back to the drawing board, how someone can do something like that is beyond me

Unfortunately, this area truly is a mine field, don't panic book here, as I and others have said, do your homework first. Best of luck

https://fionaolearyblog.wordpress.com/2020/02/22/exposing-so-called-clinical-neuro-psychologist-goldsmith-and-her-dodgy-certs/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Coincidentally this issue appears to have escalated over the past few days... OP fortunate that you sought advice prior to pursuing an assessment if these claims are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Google Hassan Bal

Coincidentally this issue appears to have escalated over the past few days... OP fortunate that you sought advice prior to pursuing an assessment if these claims are correct

Fcuking hell, I guess there was a reason why I was told to run a mile from goldsmith, that's horrendous stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Happydays74

Hi OP, I’m a psychologist myself and just wanted to give you my thoughts if that’s ok. Really sorry to hear of your experiences of seeking the support you want to date. CORU, the State regulator, is in the process of establishing regulation for psychologists, we’re the next professionalism to be regulated by the State. CORU are doing great work with PSI on this but their resourcing was reduced in recent years which has slowed the process. In the interim, I’d strongly recommend if you are seeking a psychologist privately, that you use the ‘find a psychologist’ function on psi website - psychologicalsociety.ie There are some counselling/educational psychologists as well as clinical psychologists there who could undertake the assessment. Ask anyone you contact if they are chartered with PSI (I personally wouldn’t go to them if not) and do ask questions as you would of a plumber/electrician etc - eg how many of these type of assessments / how much experience have they. Also agree costs and timeline for delivery of full written report after the assessment sessions and the details of how / if they will offer feedback / take follow up q’s after you have sight of the report (they should). I’d recommend having a written / email agreement of all of this just for peace of mind. I’m not working in your locality and don’t do private assessments so not touting for business here, but pm me if you keep meeting dead ends and if I can help locate someone chartered and qualified I’ll do my best. Well done on taking control of getting what you need & every good wish for the future OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

OP get this book out of the library before you waste money on these charlatans.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myth-Mental-Illness-Foundations-Personal/dp/0061771228

vriesmays wrote: »
    OP get this book out of the library before you waste money on these charlatans.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myth-Mental-Illness-Foundations-Personal/dp/0061771228

Ah vriesmays I don't think this is the place to confuse the OP even further. A competent empathic clinician will deliver their opinion and no doubt offer answers and pathways to the OP. This incidence with the clinic is very rare and fortunately the OP is being proactive and should be commended. Perhaps this thread has completed it's purpose? OP wishing you best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

A competent empathic clinician would have diagnosed a homosexual as mentally ill a few decades back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That book link has Scientology material in the recommendation

OP contact any local autism services and ask for advice on verified screening services be prepared to pay a lot and honestly it might not get you much support if you are indeed diagnosed I went through hell after an original diagnosis in 2007 which was disputed by a senior doctor in a mental health facility I fought to be rescreened in 2016 and am attending a service since then after my original diagnosis was confirmed the service aren't really able to do a lot for me and while what they do is extremely important interaction with the outside world is very chaotic and my health and life are ****ing ruined.

• Advertisement

vriesmays wrote: »
    A competent empathic clinician would have diagnosed a homosexual as mentally ill a few decades back.

Vriesmays this argument your presenting is not fair to the OP. They didn't ask our opinion on the pros or cons of pursuing a diagnosis... start another thread if it helps you.

Advertisement