Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangs of London - Sky Atlantic

• 12-02-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gangs Of London, from The Raid director Gareth Evans.

Joe Cole leads a cast also featuring Sope Dirisu, Colm Meaney, Lucian Msamati and Michelle Farley. The show depicts the gritty underbelly of a fictional London controlled by international gangs, with violent power struggles emerging after the head of one crime family is assassinated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm not seeing much story beyond a lot of people about to experience a world of pain..
    which Gareth Evans can deliver.. in spades..

So then it's kinda down to the rest of the plot I'm guessing. How did Sky get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭larchielads

Slydice wrote: »
    I'm not seeing much story beyond a lot of people about to experience a world of pain..

So then it's kinda down to the rest of the plot I'm guessing. How did Sky get this?
    Its a sky original , says so in the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cinemax are/were involved in commissioning it for the States so it's a co production like Strike Back.

However since Cinemax has now stopped making original series since it is being folded into HBO Max it looks like Sky are going it alone for now.

Its a sky original , says so in the trailer

They're the network but not the producers.

Wiki says the producer is: Hugh Warren
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_of_London_(TV_series)

I'm guessing they paid him for the rights.

He's done other shows:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0912857/

Recently he's had Hanna which got decent reviews.. but before that Hard Sun.. which I don't remember seeing good reviews for.

Cinemax are/were involved in commissioning it for the States so it's a co production like Strike Back.

However since Cinemax has now stopped making original series since it is being folded into HBO Max it looks like Sky are going it alone for now.

Cinemax means it could be decent.. to me.. based on Banshee mostly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

If it's Gareth Evans, I have to give it a look. Joe Cole is great too (was amazing in Prayer Before Dawn).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Cinemax means it could be decent.. to me.. based on Banshee mostly

Yet being a "Sky Original" kinda makes me think it isn't. Just something about Sky's "own" that they end up kinda rubbish. Good pedigree behind it though, and you can see Evans' work with The Raid in the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Michelle Farley and her son wanting revenge for the death of her husband. What could go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 84,338 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

23rd April episodes out

has there even been 1 series financed by Sky Atlantic that was actually worth watching?

I know that there have been several complete turd buckets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,338 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If it's Gareth Evans, I have to give it a look. Joe Cole is great too (was amazing in Prayer Before Dawn).

He was in Peaky Blinders also, reminds me of a mix of his co stars from that Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy, he is definitely one to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I watched this this evening and thought it was very good but it also has a lot of violence in it and blood. I thought they could have had the mob boss in it longer but maybe they just wanted to get that done quick. Colm Meaney is in this by the way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Butson

I Like this, fight scenes are so well done, reminded me of Kill Bill a bit
    Seriously violent which may not be to everybodys taste

Not your standard cockney gangster show.

This show is bonkers, and very enjoyable. The plot is quite generic but the over the top violent action scenes I love :)

Episode 5 is crazy. Not seen action scenes like this ever in TV before

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Loved this pretty blooming violent!
    Gareth Evans definitely can do an action scene

Banshee and above levels of violence is a good thing and that is just after watching the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I just watched episode 5. That was one of the best 1hr of tv I have seen in years. It was like a mix between a modern day straw dogs, django unchained and the matrix. Bloody brilliant.

first episode pretty wild.

good choreography for the bar fight scene

The son Seán though is a bloody grate so far though.

To be fair to sky seems better than the vast majority of their productions.

Gareth Evans directed episodes 1 & 5 himself.

• Advertisement

The final scene at the end of episode 4 with the mirror was fantastic.

Man episode 5 was a fantastic and tense hour of TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭ooter

watched first 5 episodes, 1 and 5 the standouts so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Banshee and above levels of violence is a good thing and that is just after watching the first episode.

Well that's me hard sold.

Think this is first time I have seen the traveller group represented by Wales in a big tv series or movie. I suppose they didn’t pick Ireland as they had to already have Ireland as origin of Colm Meaney and wife characters.

Seems like this is a very bingeable show?

Well the ending is a bit of a mixed bag for me story wise, Action wise it is best show since Banshee.

Left open for a second season and are the real money men supposed to be spooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I don’t think they were referred to as the traveller group in episode 1 Lol
    They just referred to the two guys as pikeys

Definitely ran out of steam episodes 6-9. Worth a watch overall due to the action scenes but the plot dragged it down

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Definitely ran out of steam episodes 6-9. Worth a watch overall due to the action scenes but the plot dragged it down

Agreed. Still very watchable. It was all a bit unrealistic tho, unlike Top Boy.
    But episode 5 was sensational, up there with the best episodes of all the best tv series.

Advertisement