Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Creosote posts

• 10-02-2020 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I need to replace an existing post and sheep wire fence. Current posts are just pressure treated (I presume) and are rotting and breaking at ground level. I've been told creosote posts should last 20 years. Is this correct as I was toying with just getting concrete posts altogether (although presumably that will be a lot more expensive).
    I'm not doing the work myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

mordeith wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I need to replace an existing post and sheep wire fence. Current posts are just pressure treated (I presume) and are rotting and breaking at ground level. I've been told creosote posts should last 20 years. Is this correct as I was toying with just getting concrete posts altogether (although presumably that will be a lot more expensive).
    I'm not doing the work myself.

Put in octiposts here, their guaranteed for 25 years. Used them with sheep wire too. Their not cheap but are a good job. If your handling them wear good gloves and long sleeves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Put in octiposts here, their guaranteed for 25 years. Used them with sheep wire too. Their not cheap but are a good job. If your handling them wear good gloves and long sleeves

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

mordeith wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I was like yourself. Tired of the standard tanalised stake rotting at the bottom after a few years. Those octiposts are in four years so far. Theres other creosoted stakes you can get aswell. Not sure of their life span

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ya creosote posts are twice or three times the price but they're well worth it in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 11 westernmyth

Creosoted posts are a very good option, if not going for the grant mc namaras in cork do a great post and are very good to deal with, very efficient, free deliver nationwide. Avoid james geoghan and his salesman talk similar standard posts to octoposts but horrible to deal with, empty promises with regards delivery and n the expensive side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

use PDM 6ft here . some in 10 years and perfect. I drive them and brother in law puts up the wire

I put concrete posts up around the bale area, bought them off Killeshal Precast concrete . Like that a post is about €12 plus vat. 7 strands of wire and the little tensioners and stay posts etc.

Like above I dug the posts and made the concrete here in the pan mixer and he stood them and did the wire. About 1.5/2 wheelbarrows of concrete around each. I spaced them at 14ft I think but as I said its a bale compound

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Creosoted posts mc namaras in cork do a great post

Excuse the iggnorance but do you just ask for Creosoted posts or is there a special name on them. I need to get a boundary fence sorted and want to a job that will last for as long as i will have the farm!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Using these the last 2 years, supposed to have 40 year guarantee.
    https://www.burtboultonhaywood.com/our-products/

Ireland stockists is in Tyrrellspass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭amacca

If you don't mind the look of them the clipex posts are lasting well for me here are easy to drive and can work out cheaper. I use a creosoted king post as ends/strainer......clipex strainers are way too expensive imo.

Could be another option

• Registered Users Posts: 11 westernmyth

The mc Namara posts are called duraposts and would be every bit as good as octoposts I believe nice smooth finish and very uniform too if aesthetics matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

amacca wrote: »
    If you don't mind the look of them the clipex posts are lasting well for me here are easy to drive and can work out cheaper. I use a creosoted king post as ends/strainer......clipex strainers are way too expensive imo.

Could be another option

Will the barb wire not wear where the wire meets the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Homer jay

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Using these the last 2 years, supposed to have 40 year guarantee.
    https://www.burtboultonhaywood.com/our-products/

Ireland stockists is in Tyrrellspass

Hi Nekarsulm, how did you find him to deal with ? Looking to get stakes for a grant job, rang him and asked for a quote Xmas week, must have being 40 mins on phone to him, said he would get back to me after the Xmas with quote, still no word. How do the stakes seem now after the two years in comparison to the like of the pdms if you have any for comparison ? Thanks James.

Didn't buy direct from him, bought from McCorry Agri at Derrylin in Fermanagh. They come from Tyrrellspass, as he has the agency for the whole island, seemingly. Only issue might be supply, as they sell out fast.
    Like them better than PDM, last ones of those I bought were left in a shed for nearly 12 months and dried put and shrank/cracked.
    You could see white untreated wood in the cracks, so not too impressed...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭amacca

satstheway wrote: »
    Will the barb wire not wear where the wire meets the post.

I strain it between the king posts to a little below tension I need. Then I put it into the slot. So far so good, no excessive wear or problem where wire meets post - tbh I'm pre concerned about corrosion but so far so good there too.... 3 years, there's white discoloration at 5he base of the post but not serious/structural .... I've had the tanilised **** rot and crack at the base after 2 years ) some of them nearly go in wetter than the ground they are going into. Not mad about the pdm......weak and crack easily when being driven

In fairness most of the clipex I have up is carrying electric wire using insulators....id be in a better position to evaluate them in 10 years I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Homer jay

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Didn't buy direct from him, bought from McCorry Agri at Derrylin in Fermanagh. They come from Tyrrellspass, as he has the agency for the whole island, seemingly. Only issue might be supply, as they sell out fast.
    Like them better than PDM, last ones of those I bought were left in a shed for nearly 12 months and dried put and shrank/cracked.
    You could see white untreated wood in the cracks, so not too impressed...

How are they after the 2 years ? Some of the pdms I put up 3yrs ago are starting to lose the black/Brown colour. Was McCorry cheaper that the lad in Tyrrellspass with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Aravo

Put up pdm posts here last year. Grant approved 6ft post was 8.50+vat. When making up the strainer bracing I had to cut the point of one post. They were black all the way through. Not like a standard treated post. Time will tell if these dearer pdm posts were worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭sandman30

Have had PDM posts last over 40 years here. Last PDM Posts used was about 10 years ago, still as sound as the day they went in.

However bought a lot of posts last year and switched to imported. PDM has switched ownership and now part of a multinational. Feels like it is run by accountants. Felt that the timber quality wasn't good enough. Timber in Ireland is now much faster grown and on better land than it used to be, so didn't feel the new posts would last as long. PDM has also changed supplier I think.

The imported posts were all very well treated. Strainers and 4-5" rough were excellent. However also got some 4" machined, although well treated some of the timber quality seemed poor. They all came from Latvia and later heard that some of the machined posts came from windblown forests and included some dead wood, which is far from ideal

We'll see how they do but overall very happy with them, but would stick to the 4-5" rough if ordering again

Homer jay wrote: »
    How are they after the 2 years ? Some of the pdms I put up 3yrs ago are starting to lose the black/Brown colour. Was McCorry cheaper that the lad in Tyrrellspass with them ?

The PDM have faded in colour, but no other signs of ageing on them.
    McCorry was 7.50 plus vat for 6 foot x 4 inch posts, didn't price them in Tyrrellspass.
    If you buy a bundle of them (think theres 95 in a bundle) they will do for a few euro less. Have a 30 year guarantee.
    Octo posts, or round ones made by the same place in Latvia or Lithuania or somewhere up there are 7 euro plus vat for 6 foot by 4 inches. Stated 25 year guarantee on them.

JjFpqVY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Bought creosote posts from MacNamara fencing near mallow. Very happy with them. Honestly if I am doing anymore fencing I am using Clipex I have 800m it’s fantastic. Get the best creosote timber strainers you buy and go Clipex it’s unbeatable

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Do you know of anyone in muster area who would supply 4 ft cresoted posts? Use these short posts a good bit to just hold up single strand electric fence wire but the tanalised pencil posts from co-op rot at the base in a few years. The cresoted ones I see generally seem to start at 5 feet. Thanks

• Advertisement

use PDM 6ft here . some in 10 years and perfect. I drive them and brother in law puts up the wire

I put concrete posts up around the bale area, bought them off Killeshal Precast concrete . Like that a post is about €12 plus vat. 7 strands of wire and the little tensioners and stay posts etc.

Like above I dug the posts and made the concrete here in the pan mixer and he stood them and did the wire. About 1.5/2 wheelbarrows of concrete around each. I spaced them at 14ft I think but as I said its a bale compound

What specs were your concrete posts, seems expensive. I got quoted about €6.15 inc vat for 5'6" posts, but that is a couple of years back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

What specs were your concrete posts, seems expensive. I got quoted about €6.15 inc vat for 5'6" posts, but that is a couple of years back now.

https://killeshal.com/decorative/chainlink-agricultural-fencing/

cant remember the length of the posts now but roughtly 6/6ft 6inch

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I got 200 McNamara Duraposts and find them excellent. They are around 8.40 each. I was buying comparable ones from my local hardware for the same price. The Duraposts are much harder I find. The proof of them was when you have to put a post under the post driver if you are on a bad slope. The local ones would get a good skinning from this there wouldn't be a mark on the Duraposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Merrion

If you got recycled plastic they would last forever (or a long time anyway)
    Kedel (UK) do them for £7 but I imagine delivery would add quite a bit to the price - not sure if anywhere in Ireland has them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Merrion wrote: »
    If you got recycled plastic they would last forever (or a long time anyway)
    Kedel (UK) do them for £7 but I imagine delivery would add quite a bit to the price - not sure if anywhere in Ireland has them?

http://jfcagri.com/products/plastic-fencing/
    Don't know the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We used 5 foot recycled plastic posts from here. They should be a lifetime job. €7 each I think .
    https://iff-plastics-limited.business.site/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

finbarrk wrote: »
    We used 5 foot recycled plastic posts from here. They should be a lifetime job. €7 each I think .

Have you then up long?
    Had you any difficulty nailing to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

finbarrk wrote: »

Can you drive them with a post driver ?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Do you know of anyone in muster area who would supply 4 ft cresoted posts? Use these short posts a good bit to just hold up single strand electric fence wire but the tanalised pencil posts from co-op rot at the base in a few years. The cresoted ones I see generally seem to start at 5 feet. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Slightly off Topic but only as they've been mentioned here.

Macnamara Fencing, anyone have much experience of dealing with them? Looking at buying quite a bit off them but haven't dealt with them before

Advertisement