Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

890 National Express/Expressway to cease

• 28-01-2020 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=3826&month=Jan

"Eurolines 890 services via Waterford ceasing operation
    Expressway Eurolines regrets to inform customers that the 890 service (Cork – Waterford – Rosslare - Pembroke - Swansea - Cardiff - Bristol – Reading – London) operated by National Express will cease operation on 6 and 7 February.

The last days of timetable operation are as follows:

Departing Ireland (Cork – Waterford – Rosslare to the UK) on Thursday, 6 February 2020
    Departing UK (London – Reading – Bristol – Cardiff – Swansea - Pembroke – to Ireland) on Friday, 7 February 2020
    In the coming weeks connections from the Irish southern corridor onto Route 871 (Dublin – Holyhead) will be added for passengers travelling to London. A connection for Bristol will also be added, via Birmingham."

Bernard Kavanagh is the contractor for NX.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was in Cork lately and saw this bus coming out of the city and googled it as I never even knew it existed! Intersting way to get to Wales and England. Presume it was very busy 30 years ago. Why the rush to axe it now? Lack of passengers? Shame to see another travel option go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Might be related to National Express entering the Irish market directly, with the news of their new Dublin Airport routes. I bet Bus Eireann aren't happy about that, the relationship may be breaking down. Just a hunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

bk wrote: »
    Might be related to National Express entering the Irish market directly, with the news of their new Dublin Airport routes. I bet Bus Eireann aren't happy about that, the relationship may be breaking down. Just a hunch.

I see your connection. Things were peculiar lately though. The coach I used a few weeks back was unbranded, 890 had disappeared from the National Express tracker system. Services from the UK on the National Express website were often the top tier price and often "sold out". But the same coach on the Bus Eireann website showed 28 seats available !

road_high wrote: »
    Lack of passengers?

Certainly not. It also served as an internal service serving Cardiff and Swansea and small towns in west Wales en route to Pembroke. It was mentioned elsewhere that the vehicle could be borrowed while laying over in London.

Megabus operate a ship side service from London to Pembroke for the ship at weekends, though the convenience is lost with this and if the ship is late and misses the first Bus Eireann service west at 0700 there's a long wait at Rosslare until 0905 weekdays and 1300 on Sundays !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

is this something to do with subvention in a post-Brexit world ? bit close to the Brexit date for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This is a little bit complex, but essentially National Express announced in 2018 that they were withdrawing from Eurolines and winding down services and this probably is the winding down continuing, I believe it is the last actual service that National Express operate as part of Eurolines.

The 871 is now a full Bus Eireann service. Whilst National Express no longer have no direct involvement, they do still sell tickets for the service and coaches and describe it as "Bus Eireann 871, operated by third party." when you try and buy a ticket on their website.

The vehicles allocated to the 871 service without NX involvement already have a new livery : https://www.flickr.com/photos/x10lynxman/49336361257/in/photolist-2iaEkDq-2iaFKme-2ghoGqZ-2adniz4-2hhjCZe-Jcmmqe-2bgYaw3-29uTvHp

Bristol to Waterford takes 18 hours via Holyhead on the 871 vice 11 and a half hours via Pembroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Pity to see this go. I’d say most people aren’t aware it existed. Yes it’s slower but many people hate flying and airports- this sounds like a very relaxed alternative and great if you live in a town served along the Cork to Rosslare corridor. I’d like to have at least tried it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

road_high wrote: »
    I was in Cork lately and saw this bus coming out of the city and googled it as I never even knew it existed! Intersting way to get to Wales and England. Presume it was very busy 30 years ago. Why the rush to axe it now? Lack of passengers? Shame to see another travel option go.

the successor to Slatteries of Tralee's service of many years ago. I traveled once and that was once too often. Uncomfortable vehicles and took forever.

Isambard wrote: »
    the successor to Slatteries of Tralee's service of many years ago. I traveled once and that was once too often. Uncomfortable vehicles and took forever.
    Slatterys and Bus Eireann "Supabus" ran side by side for a while, all the Slatterys passengers used to go into Lonergans on the Quay in Waterford for a few pints during the layover there !!! BÉ went on Sealink, Slattery on B&I if I recall correctly.

Not my pic https://flic.kr/p/9AtfQ6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

91wx763 wrote: »
    Certainly not. It also served as an internal service serving Cardiff and Swansea and small towns in west Wales en route to Pembroke. It was mentioned elsewhere that the vehicle could be borrowed while laying over in London.

Pssengers from London to Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea and west wales can be catered for cheaper using UK based coach and driver, it is the cross-channel loadings that will have mattered for keeping this route going.
    Megabus operate a ship side service from London to Pembroke for the ship at weekends, though the convenience is lost with this and if the ship is late and misses the first Bus Eireann service west at 0700 there's a long wait at Rosslare until 0905 weekdays and 1300 on Sundays !!!

That connection used to be daily, Megabus cut it back to 3 days/week as well as cuts to the route west of Swansea, They also ditched their route to/from Holyhead. A sure sign that these routes are struggling.
    devnull wrote: »
    This is a little bit complex, but essentially National Express announced in 2018 that they were withdrawing from Eurolines and winding down services and this probably is the winding down continuing, I believe it is the last actual service that National Express operate as part of Eurolines.

The 871 is now a full Bus Eireann service. Whilst National Express no longer have no direct involvement, they do still sell tickets for the service and coaches and describe it as "Bus Eireann 871, operated by third party." when you try and buy a ticket on their website.

The vehicles allocated to the 871 service without NX involvement already have a new livery : https://www.flickr.com/photos/x10lynxman/49336361257/in/photolist-2iaEkDq-2iaFKme-2ghoGqZ-2adniz4-2hhjCZe-Jcmmqe-2bgYaw3-29uTvHp

The 871 has always been a Bus Eireann service and a CIE service before that, using Supabus branding before Eurolines, NX never had any direct involvement in the running of the route.

NX and Eurolines were booking and connection partners but the route (along with the 880 Dublin-Leeds) is and has been 100% run by BE either with their own coaches and drivers or sub contractors.

890 on the other hand has been a NX contract for a long time with BE providing booking and connections in Ireland. For a time up to the mid 2000s BE ran the route with Waterford based coaches and drivers but as contractors to NX.

There is no falling out between them as suggested, it is a commercial decision to cut a route not performing. NX cutting connections with Eurolines (who are now owned by Flixbus) may have had an indirect effect on both Irish routes viability because it removed through booking from mainland Europe.

The 880 Dublin - Leeds route was cut to weekend only then withdrawn completely last year with passengers for Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds being accommodated by transfers to other NX services from the 870.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Took the Eurolines from Victoria to Cork and changed there to Killarney around 10 years ago and it took around 20hrs via Pembroke Dock, very long and uncomfortable and had a fair amount of dodgy characters onboard also. It was that or pay Ryanair almost €300 one way so I took the bus-ferry for £50 and let Ryanair get screwed.

An uncorroborated whisper I heard the other night is that Tommy Kavanagh (B.Kavanagh coaches) may reintroduce a summer 890 type service. The only issue being that that is the busiest time for tour buses. In addition some of their staff who do the irish section are part time/semi retired staff who'd still need work all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bernard Kavanagh is the contractor for NX.

NX being shorthand for National Express, not the Bus Éireann route NX to Navan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

An uncorroborated whisper I heard the other night is that Tommy Kavanagh (B.Kavanagh coaches) may reintroduce a summer 890 type service. The only issue being that that is the busiest time for tour buses. In addition some of their staff who do the irish section are part time/semi retired staff who'd still need work all year round.

When you say the Irish section, how did that arrangement work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

shame, I used this route a fair few times that I needed to carry oversized baggage/liquids. It was a long old slog, but it was handy and always had a full bus, sometimes they even sent two buses!

kub wrote: »
    When you say the Irish section, how did that arrangement work ?
    There was a driver change in each direction at Waterford in the morning and again in the afternoon with the cross channel section worked by more or less the same 3 or 4 drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

There was a driver change in each direction at Waterford in the morning and again in the afternoon with the cross channel section worked by more or less the same 3 or 4 drivers.

Ah, the exact same as Slatterys back in the 80's so, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I remember years ago after I 1st moved over here ( 2001) from wales ... myself and 3 others were waiting to get on eurolines bus at killarney bus stop with all our bags, I was going home to wales and the other 2 were going to london ...

The bus driver informed us there was no room on bus because it was full of students ......we were in shock ... he said although it was indeed a eurolines bus it was also a routine bus and anybody could use it ....

The 3 of us really kicked up a fuss and rightfully so , I genuinely felt sorry for driver but his hands were tied aswell ..... he agreed reluctantly to let us sit on the steps at back by toilet until somebody got off .........3 miles up road over half bus was empty....

I often found over the years the bus would often miss connecting bus at Waterford and a few times driver would tell us to get off in waterford and run to catch bus through short cuts .....

I remember once being on bus with a drunk woman...god she drove everybody nuts!!!!

I dont miss that bus!!!!! At least I got off at fishguard,, the other poor bastards still had hours ahead of themselves to london ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The 871 has always been a Bus Eireann service and a CIE service before that, using Supabus branding before Eurolines, NX never had any direct involvement in the running of the route.

+1, the 871 is run by Bernard Kavanagh under contract to BE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

It was a brilliant service if you lived anywhere near Waterford, Kilkenny or Wexford and anywhere in Wales was your destination. I have an elderly relative in Bristol who always used it in her day returning to Ireland, she hasn't come in years and must be headed for 80 years old now.

Old thread but it's coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

On the subject of Bus Eireann and Eurolines, Heres VC79 in Frankfurt many years ago.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Update : Two days a week from 7th July via Birmingham.

From Bus Eireann :

Expressway is delighted to announce that coach and sail travel is back with Expressway Eurolines!

Operating Thursdays & Saturdays to the UK from Busáras, Dublin. Returning from the Victoria Coach Station, London to Dublin on Fridays & Thursdays. Also serving Dublin Ferryport and Digbeth Coach Station, Birmingham.

Enjoy your first bag free with no hidden charges, extra fast Wi-Fi, and comfortable seating on board.

Travel from Dublin from the 7th of July. Pricing starts at €39 one way (T&C’s Apply). Book in advance today on the Expressway website to guarantee your seat!

Its a disgrace Joe!

Bah, nothing via Rosslare....

And now Expressway are advertisng on WLR (Waterford Local Radio) of the return of travelling by coach to London via Dublin, anybody got 15 hours to spare and is the 40 minute connection at BusArse "guaranteed"............🤫🤫🤫

From Waterford to Dublin

SAT, 9 JUL 22

16:55

Waterford Bus Station

19:20

Dublin (Busaras)

Duration: 2hr 25 min

20:00

Dublin (Busaras)

08:00

London

Duration: 12hr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭purplepanda

A lot of older folk used to like picking up the Expresslines / Eurolines bus from Waterford, New Ross & Wexford, going across to Wales & south England, no messing about with luggage as it stays on the coach, just walk on & off the ferry.

My Aunt used to travel to meet her daughters & family in Reading regularly before covid. I can't see her trying out a new service going via Dubin-Holyhead-London & then to Reading with all the changing luggage & busses.

A friend of mine is on the London to Dublin bus tonight, to travel there's a new form required, I think there will be a few disappointed travellers 😀

Dear Customer, Thank you for booking your journey with National Express. 

We are contacting you to advise of a mandatory passenger form before crossing the Irish sea. 

National Express & Expressway Eurolines: Mandatory passenger information.

Customer details are required by Irish Ferries prior to Irish Sea crossing.Please ensure that all passengers complete this form as soon as possible.

https://forms.gle/W deleted

You may not be permitted to board the ferry unless you (and any additional members of a group you are travelling with) have supplied all required information. Please also ensure that each passenger carries relevant travel documentation at the time of your journey, e.g. Passport.

PLEASE NOTE: Your data will be securely shared with Expressway Eurolines' service provider Bus Éireann, who will supply to Irish Ferries

Kind Regards, National Express Customer Services  

Advertisement