Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PARD 007

• 12-02-2020 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

With compact and effective thermal scopes now on the market I know IR units are taking secound places but at up to €4,000.00 a throw I'll wait until I reincarnated as a wealthy man (or his mistress) before forking out that type of money.

I've been doing a bit of on line research on the Pard007 and I've come to the conclusion that its a good bit of kit. As a stand alone unit fixed to a scope it is perfect for rabbiting and short range foxing as well as being used as a scope cam, something I'm interested in. The addition of a external IR torch or a more expensive laser will enhance its performance.

The big selling point to me is the ability to swap it between various scope/rifle combinations. But here is the question!

On various sources it says that you must have a paralax adjustable scope for it to work properly. Is this the case, or are they just covering arse?

One gentleman on UTube shows it in operation with a fixed power, non parallax adjustable scope and the quailty looks good. If the magnification was kept below say 8 power would you be able to have both the cross hairs and the sight picture in focuss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

They can be scope fussy but work with most.

Email optics warehouse in UK with your scope details. They should be well placed to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

They do need a parallax adjustable scope to work properly. High end glass also does not give good IR transmission. Having said that my Pard sits on a Kahles scope.
    Through a S&B there was zero light transmission. It works well on a Hawke Air Max also.
    With a laser IR add on torch visibility is good out to 300 depending on weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Sika98k wrote: »
    Through a S&B there was zero light transmission.

Ahh, good info there, one of the scopes would have been a S&B 8x56. I do recall one or two articles highlighting this issue with premier glass.
    Email optics warehouse in UK with your scope details. They should be well placed to answer

Will do, I have dealt with them in the past and found them very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

I use one on a z6i without any issue. Paralex is needed for a crisp sharp image but ive also used it on a zeiss conquest without parallex adjustment, it still works but just a bit blurry at certain ranges.
    Laser IR is the way to go if you want the best quality images at distance

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

My experience of any nv unit is you really do need adjustable parallax for them to work probably,the fixed power might work at a certain distance but it will be better to have it adjustable.The pard and any other add on nv units are fairly scope fussy too as the others haves said they work brilliant on one scope but not great on another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi cookimonster,

I must say the Pard 007 looks to be a good unit.
    If your thinking of getting the Pard 007 why not get a cheap scope with parallax to use with it??? It then becomes a dedicated unit.

At this stage I think I could write a short story on my NV antics :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I built my own NV add on DIY style. I worked OK but I had only use a cheap E-Bay camera, (take off the internal IR cover over the camera lens) and cheap IR torch. With a small LED screen on top of the scope to view the target thru the scope. It all worked OK but overall range was restricted to under 100y at most on a good night.
    I did put up photos on here somewhere. :eek:

Next was to get a good camera with the 16mm lens, from SURE24 in the UK and a good IR torch, the NM800. Range improved to 200y plus. All in all about €200 + your time. A great bit of kit. Now sold.

>>>> But with all these units because they are a scope add on's your head is that far back on the stock, the Pard 007 included. <<<< Unless you make it proper a NV setup and move the scope and add on forward on your rifle.

I then bought a Yukon Photon XT, fixed 6 power zoom x 50mm lens and added a Yukon 1.7 lens doubler to give x10 power fixed zoom (aprox). One of the best setup's I've used. Very clear view and good for over 250y with the NM800 IR torch with the XSearcher head. Now sold.

I now have the PARD 008+ with x6, x13 zoom (picture in picture update, this gives 23 zoom in the picture). Using the NM 800 IR torch. I've only been out once so far and it would seem to be the best NV I have used so far. Testing out the back garden I can see the trees 350y away easy.

As with all and any digital NV unit either the add on or dedicated it is the IR illumination that will dictate how good the view of your target is. A sh!te torch will give you a sh!te view of the target AND will dictate how far your overall range will be. The better the torch the better the view and range will be = more $$$$ spent on a good torch.

Just my 2 cents rant. :cool::cool::cool:

My DIY NV addon, with the NM 800 torch (with the XSearcher head shown on it) on the front righthand side of the stock.
    Scope is a Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical 6-24x50mm

503017.jpg

FB_IMG_1581846080008.jpg

Clivej,
    Sorry about the late reply, I was out earlier braving the latest storm frount.
    Thanks for the info and advice. I have a cheep side paralax scope complete with balistic turrets that I use regularly and has been on centre fires before. This might be an option as a dedicated set. One of the rifles has a picatanny rail and quick detach mounts so it would just be a matter of jigging the other one around.
    The lasers seem to be the way now with NV stuff, so I'll have a peep in that direction.

If you want to blow your socks off have a first hand look at the dedicated thermal scopes.... they blew my mind, I'm still thinking green speckled hazy image from my brief encounter with NV gear in the army. Holly batsh#te, once you get your head around the preditor type image its unbelievable. Very good for telling who's wearing a good insulated jacket if you glass the local high street with one. But unfortunately the £4,000.00 price blew the remainder of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Will be interesting to see the price of new Pard 008 Thermal version when announced in next few weeks.

Tried it at the British Shooting Show this weekend and it was superb.

It could be a price game changer like the original 008.

Clivej,
    Thanks for the info and advice. I have a cheep side paralax scope complete with balistic turrets that I use regularly and has been on centre fires before. This might be an option as a dedicated set. One of the rifles has a picatanny rail and quick detach mounts so it would just be a matter of jigging the other one around.
    The lasers seem to be the way now with NV stuff, so I'll have a peep in that direction.

If you want to blow your socks off have a first hand look at the dedicated thermal scopes.... they blew my mind, I'm still thinking green speckled hazy image from my brief encounter with NV gear in the army. Holly batsh#te, once you get your head around the preditor type image its unbelievable. Very good for telling who's wearing a good insulated jacket if you glass the local high street with one. But unfortunately the £4,000.00 price blew the remainder of my mind.

I was at the NV expo at Red Mills in Kilkenny a few weeks back, Thomas Jacks from the UK. I wasn't impressed with the thermal they had on show, couple of grand price tag.
    IMO the Yukon Photon and now the PARDs were far better and a lot cheaper.

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see the price of new Pard 008 Thermal version when announced in next few weeks.

Tried it at the British Shooting Show this weekend and it was superb.

It could be a price game changer like the original 008.

Up in the thousands of pounds, I'll keep my digital NV for now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Clivej,

I have a cheep side paralax scope complete with balistic turrets
    Just be careful of the height of the balistic turrets Cookimonster, a friend of mine got a 007 and the turrets were partially blocking the IR on the Pard, so he had to get an external IR torch to improve the visibility.

Good to know about the turrets, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

You'd be aswell well off getting an external illuminator with the pard. It gives you a huge amount of extra visibility.

They're a great unit for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I seen nightsite have a scope that’s designed purely for add on nv it has lenses that let in all the ir light for grey only £70 and it actually was fairly good in daylight too.
    The best budget thermal I seen at the bss was from a crowd called night pearl it was streets ahead of pulsars axon key but still starting off at £1000

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭john jameson

Pard 007 cuppled up with hawke scope with pbir L
    It's a deadly combination
    Picture is a screen shot from video footage at 150m

Right so, here's the up date!

Got the approval from the GS, mean while my mind began to wander. The Pard007 is definitely the buisness but altough I have one rifle compatable with the system ,(ie parallax adjustable scope) it would require me to buy another scope for my other rifle and possibly a third. So the out lay of cash was going up.

So realising that I would have to realisticly change scopes out one way or another I made the decision to go the whole hog.

So as I type I have a Youkon Photon RT 6x50s sitting on my kitchen table. A quick use around the garden and over the roof top seems very promising. There's a multitude of features, many I'll probably not use, but things like the one shot zero, will aid switching between calibres and rifles.
    http://yukonopticsglobal.com/products/digital-nv-riflescopes-photon-rt/riflescope-photon-rt-6x50s/

After the initial test, I was off to the gun safe with caliper in hand to measure receivers for a Weaver rail and QD Rings.
    Once the mounts are sorted then its off to zero.

to be continued.....

Right so, here's the up date!

Got the approval from the GS, mean while my mind began to wander. The Pard007 is definitely the buisness but altough I have one rifle compatable with the system ,(ie parallax adjustable scope) it would require me to buy another scope for my other rifle and possibly a third. So the out lay of cash was going up.

So realising that I would have to realisticly change scopes out one way or another I made the decision to go the whole hog.

So as I type I have a Youkon Photon RT 6x50s sitting on my kitchen table. A quick use around the garden and over the roof top seems very promising. There's a multitude of features, many I'll probably not use, but things like the one shot zero, will aid switching between calibres and rifles.
    http://yukonopticsglobal.com/products/digital-nv-riflescopes-photon-rt/riflescope-photon-rt-6x50s/

After the initial test, I was off to the gun safe with caliper in hand to measure receivers for a Weaver rail and QD Rings.
    Once the mounts are sorted then its off to zero.

to be continued.....

Great choice of a NV scope BUT it is big.

I had the older model with 6 zoom and fitted the x1.7 doubler lens to give me about 11 power.
    Get yourself a very good IR torch. I used the NM 850 and that gave me a night shooting range of 250y. The new laser IR torches will give you more range.

I've since sold it and bought the PARD 008+

Aim small and hit hard.

I know nought about IR torches, so will need to learn and would appreciate any info or help.
    Do you need to match the torch with the unit? I see torches offered in various values ie '850NM IR LED' and I guess that each rating will effect the image quailty. From the little I've seen would I be right in saying that the lower number value is the better one to get as the unit sees more of that wave length/ beam ????? (bluffing here with technical terms).

I know nought about IR torches, so will need to learn and would appreciate any info or help.
    Do you need to match the torch with the unit? I see torches offered in various values ie '850NM IR LED' and I guess that each rating will effect the image quailty. From the little I've seen would I be right in saying that the lower number value is the better one to get as the unit sees more of that wave length/ beam ????? (bluffing here with technical terms).

Have a look at the pbir L or the Solaris srx. Both are laser illuminators and will be far more powerful than the standard ir torch. I have the Solaris and it transforms the pard unit.

Have a look at the pbir L or the Solaris srx. Both are laser illuminators and will be far more powerful than the standard ir torch. I have the Solaris and it transforms the pard unit.

If budget isn't really an issue then no arguing with the Laser IR illuminations while they come in various power setting "low medium and high" they can be adjusted to flood or spot like most torches but with far more ir out put! Having said that be careful with the Yukon as it can be easily washed out with to much ir light and u will see nothing but bright white !! I had a Yukon 6.5 at in the past it's a great unit no doubt and very comfortable to use!
    I'm sure there is some one who can advise better on it light for that scope than me or if u will give me a day il post your inquirie to a night vision forum I'm a member of to see what comes back
    Regards

• Advertisement

The 2 most talked about IR Laser torches are the Solaris SRX and the Sirius XTL. Both about £150 ish.
    The main difference I see is that the Solaris SRX has a varible power tail switch and comes with a 'Rats Tail' on/off switch.
    The Sirius XTL needs to have the 'Dome' LED fitted to stop a dark center beam.

I'll be getting the Solaris SRX soon, when I save up the $$$$.

Good info on the IR lasers. Try to look at parts 1, 2, and 3.

Gents, thanks for the info and advice. Keep it coming.

For real performance the laser is the daddy !!
    I myself have the Pbir L and with the pard 007 watching vermin at long range is no real problem! I can only imagen what it would be like with a photon !!

Couple of replys from a night vision forum that might interest u I'm sure there will be more to follow

@Cookimonster, I have a Dark Sun Ranger, an laser style IR torch, south Dublin,North Wicklow.
    You’re welcome to come out some evening and compare a few torches and bits.

Sika98k wrote: »
    @Cookimonster, I have a Dark Sun Ranger, an laser style IR torch, south Dublin,North Wicklow.
    You’re welcome to come out some evening and compare a few torches and bits.

Same goes. I'm in the same area and have Solaris and Sirius so you can figure out which is best.

I would also be interested to see other equipment and setups with like minded individuals.

Thanks guys, appriceate that. Just have to set up the mounts and go from there.

Why don’t we all hook up and play some dark night ?

We could do a 'Light in to Darkness' event ....

........ as long as we keep the numbers below 500, we should be good.

• Advertisement

Right so, here's the up date!....

....to be continued.....

Lockdown put me back a bit with the project. The long term plan was to stick this on a Hornet (may yet happen but now thats on the back boiler), but on reflection I went down another route. My rational side says one less licence to pay for, one less ammo stream to invest into.... I'll get back to ye on this... the heart may win out.

Part 1
    I put a Britanna Rail (CZ527) on my 1972 .22LR Brno and bought a set of 30mm high reach forward Picatanny rings. It took a few try's to get the mounting just right, especially eye relief. The next big challenge was to get over the issue of loss of elevation adjustment. So a crash course on the internet re shimming scopes was undertaken. I finally settled with a 'Lidl coke zero can' shim. So elevation is sorted as far as bore sighting can be, but tested without the shim produces a very different sight picture. I've a nice leather cheek riser on the way to get a higher cheek weld.

517158.jpg

Part 2
    I've replaced the bases on one of my centre fires and now it is compatible with the NV set-up. Testing with bore sighting the NV lines up perfectly. Numerous test of removals show scopes returning to same 'zero' .... obviously needs field testing.

Now both rifles are set up to take day and night scopes. The NV will allow me to adjust zero between the two rifles by recording the digital windage and elevation values for each.

Meanwhile I had purchased a cheep as chips NV spotter complete with a IR torch.

See a video capture showing one of five foxs I videod with it in one location.

517160.jpg.

So after ironing out some of the issues you may come across I'm just waiting to get out and zero on paper and then onto bunnies.

As a post script I would add ......

if your fitting this unit to another rifle as with my centre fire that takes conventional rail base you should have less difficulties. Be aware one piece rail bases will assist eye relief.

If using an adaptor from dove tail to picatanny you may consider a MOA rail of some sort. If fitting directly to a dovetail use the lowest mounts that you can get clearance with and this will eliminate loss of elevation.

The body of the unit is wider than the objective and this may cause issues. So its a matter of sizing everything up before purchasing rings.

Loss of zero has been reported by some owners but those in the know have said the issues lie in the incorrect alignment of the scope and the users only achieving zero by nearly maxing out elevation and windage values. This is why I put time into bore sighting and getting the scope as centred as possible prior to zeroing.

Advertisement