Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Dennis ** Please read Mod Note in OP**

• 11-02-2020 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bring it on?

I'll let someone better qualified to do the technical thread.

Looks like lasting about 4 days as its progress bogs down south of Iceland - around 945 mb at the peak.

Mod Note: This thread is expected to become busy over the coming days. The Moderators have decided that there is to be one thread only on the discussion of Storm Dennis.

Please stay on topic and adhere to the forum charter and comply with moderator instructions.

Comments

• Ciara was a feisty wench.

Twitter say's that storm Dennis sounds like someone who will knock over a couple of patio chairs and fall asleep watching the snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Why are the UKMO naming these events so early this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ Annabella High Ginseng

Thankfully no snow expected with this one and we'll be seeing an increase in temperatures.

Heavy rain and strong winds but nothing as bad as Ciara is forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MJohnston wrote: »
    Why are the UKMO naming these events so early this year?

Maybe they know more than met Éireann

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭pawdee

Ciara was a feisty wench.

Twitter say's that storm Dennis sounds like someone who will knock over a couple of patio chairs and fall asleep watching the snooker.

Wait until Gnasher rolls in after him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

This storm does not look like being much here or even in the UK as with most of the storms we get these days...think they are just trying to keep the whole climate change scam going exaggerating these pathetic so called storms...weather was much worst 20-30 years in every way...if anything our weather is really boring these days...autumn all year round

• Hooter23 wrote: »
    .if anything our weather is really boring these days...autumn all year round

Why are you posting in the weather forum then if so disinterested?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Hooter23 wrote: »
    This storm does not look like being much here or even in the UK as with most of the storms we get these days...think they are just trying to keep the whole climate change scam going exaggerating these pathetic so called storms...weather was much worst 20-30 years in every way...if anything our weather is really boring these days...autumn all year round

I know you're entitled to your own opinion. But what about years like late 2017, all of 2018?

I know it's only two years, but they had some very exciting weather! Especially 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'm getting to the stage now where I really couldn't care less about 'storms' in this country anymore. What would have been seen as a normal windy day/period one time is now being sold as being something exceptional.

New Moon

Thankfully no snow expected with this one and we'll be seeing an increase in temperatures.

Heavy rain and strong winds but nothing as bad as Ciara is forecast.

How bad was Ciara actually? Not very I think.

I looked at the electricity network app at one stage and was surprised how few faults had been reported.

Is there anywhere that records the number of wires down incidents (not number of houses affected) as that would give an objective measure of how bad each storm is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Is this what we are talking about here?

gfs-0-234.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Delta Lima

Is there anywhere that records the number of wires down incidents (not number of houses affected) as that would give an objective measure of how bad each storm is.

Don't forget that more power lines will be damaged during storms, when trees are still in full leaf.

Delta Lima wrote: »
    Don't forget that more power lines will be damaged during storms, when trees are still in full leaf.

When i said a measure of how bad each storm was, I should perhaps have said 'how damaging'.

A wind storm that doesnt bring down trees or powerlines is one that wouldnt worry me very much, no matter what the windspeed reading was.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Well. It was (is) an extremely prolonged event with many here reporting the worst conditions they've experienced so far this winter.
    While it may not set absolute records, it certainly did pack a punch and felt like a marathon event.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

How bad was Ciara actually? Not very I think.

I looked at the electricity network app at one stage and was surprised how few faults had been reported.

If you mean it's power and destruction, no not one of the worst.

In terms of it's stubborn refusal to blow-over it's been very prolonged indeed.

Throw in the snow and freezing conditions, it's made Storm Ciara and it's aftermath fairly unpleasant for many parts of the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

get a grip did you see the floods in uk ?

• GFS develops it as a sub 930mb feature by the weekend. Good job it stays far away.

gfs-0-78_zrb2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The floods are from Ciara. This is the Dennis thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Summer sun and grass cutting seems so far away these days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

926 hPa???

ukmo_nat_fax_2020021200_084.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I grew in near the Calder always floods. worse now because a lot of the flood plains have been built on so theres no slack. you're talking steep sided valleys with little flat space to build on. the town I grew up in flooded regularly up until a huge flood relief scheme was finished in the 60s.
    I see now theres a massive riverside housing scheme planned so that'll flood and everyone will say its climate change.

• GFS signalling a possible wind event for Monday.

EDIT: chart is for Sunday.

gfs-0-99-3h_jwd1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭pauldry

Will it ever end. Went walking at Strandhill Culleenamore 2 weeks ago. I'd say it's taken a fair owl rattle.

Wednesday 19th February might be the end of the wind. The last remaining tree in my garden is getting very loose. Surrounded by debris from Ciara of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

pauldry wrote: »
    Will it ever end. Went walking at Strandhill Culleenamore 2 weeks ago. I'd say it's taken a fair owl rattle.

Wednesday 19th February might be the end of the wind. The last remaining tree in my garden is getting very loose. Surrounded by debris from Ciara of course.

I’ve a hawthorn here.dont know how he’s still standing.roll on some good weather and a bit of drying.
    God help lads lambing ewes last few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Lot of knowledgeable people on this forum, I have 2 flights on Sunday, wondering if the weather is going to be bad enough to cause significant disruptions based on the info currently available?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Too early to say definitively, i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Lot of knowledgeable people on this forum, I have 2 flights on Sunday, wondering if the weather is going to be bad enough to cause significant disruptions based on the info currently available?

Your airline will be/is the best source of information for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

easypazz wrote:
    I am going to walk to the pub Saturday night, can anybody tell me if I might need to bring an umbrella.

easypazz wrote:
    Why do people keep asking this same stupid question about flights that are days away, its worse when they don't even say what airports they are flying to and from.

Don't feed, don't feed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Mod Note: : removed deleted quoted post as was uncivil.

Alright mate was just a question. I don't scan this forum so I don't know what questions are asked regularly.

If you don't want to engage then don't or even put me on ignore.

Bit of a difference between going to the pub and flying. If taking the piss out of someone on an internet forum makes you feel like a big man then good for you I guess.

Advertisement