Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

niallo32 wrote: »
    I have to fly to Tirana (Albania) via Gatwick.

EI flight land in the South Terminal @ 12.20pm

BA flight due to leave from the South Terminal @ 13.30pm

Is it too tight or do I just walk from one gate to another? It's on a Sunday lunchtime. Hand luggage only

Cheers..

Did you book the flight directly with 1 airline or did you book the flights separately? If it's the first the airline should know how long to get from gate to gate and if you don't make the 2nd flight will have to get you on the next flight. If you booked separately then it's seems very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Haven't booked yet but was looking at Aerlingus from Dublin (for the tier points) and BA to Tirana.

Wasn't sure if they used an airbridge or a bus, think I'll take the earlier flight from Dublin to be sure

Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭ Sylvie Important Tick

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    There's usually some sort of delay coming into busy Gatwick airspace, so assuming your flight lands on time, i'd let the cabin crew know you have to run for another flight and see if you can disembark first...however, you'll still have to wait for the Bus to take you to the terminal, then exit, cross the landside terminal and back in through security and out to the gates, which could be at the end of the pier..

All in less than 1 hour as the flight is leaving at 1.30pm, so boarding would close around 12.50pm..

Is there no transfer zone in Gatwick? Boarding won't even have opened at 12:50 not to mind closed... Are you mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Haven't booked yet but was looking at Aerlingus from Dublin (for the tier points) and BA to Tirana.

Wasn't sure if they used an airbridge or a bus, think I'll take the earlier flight from Dublin to be sure

Thanks..

Book it all on the one ticket. If you miss your flight they’ll need to sort you out with an alternative.

They may also have someone there to meet you and rush you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    There's usually some sort of delay coming into busy Gatwick airspace, so assuming your flight lands on time, i'd let the cabin crew know you have to run for another flight and see if you can disembark first...however, you'll still have to wait for the Bus to take you to the terminal, then exit, cross the landside terminal and back in through security and out to the gates, which could be at the end of the pier..

All in less than 1 hour as the flight is leaving at 1.30pm, so boarding would close around 12.50pm..

No bus for Ireland arrivals at Gatwick anymore. If the OP sits up front they could be through pretty quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

niallo32 wrote:

I use Turkish Airlines through Istanbul for all my flights to the Western Balkans. I wouldn't risk LGW for the sake of a few airmiles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Dogg Munde wrote: »
    Is there no transfer zone in Gatwick? Boarding won't even have opened at 12:50 not to mind closed... Are you mad?

Not that i've noticed..

Gate normally closes 30 mins before departure, so 1pm.

First Up wrote: »
    I use Turkish Airlines through Istanbul for all my flights to the Western Balkans. I wouldn't risk LGW for the sake of a few airmiles

I used to do the same but missed a connection home with a late incoming flight from Belgrade. Spent a few hours in Istanbul getting messed around and haven't been back (that was flying Business, would hate to see economy)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

niallo32 wrote:
    I used to do the same but missed a connection home with a late incoming flight from Belgrade. Spent a few hours in Istanbul getting messed around and haven't been back (that was flying Business, would hate to see economy)

That can happen anywhere I suppose. Istanbul is usually great for tight connections - I've made some in under 30 minutes (suitcase too!)

If both your flights were with Turkish, I assume they put you up in the airside hotel which is very handy. The Turkish lounge is great too (I assume the new airport is as good!)

There was a time when Malev through Budapest was the way to go for anywhere in the region but no more alas.

First Up wrote: »
    That can happen anywhere I suppose. Istanbul is usually great for tight connections - I've made some in under 30 minutes (suitcase too!)

If both your flights were with Turkish, I assume they put you up in the airside hotel which is very handy. The Turkish lounge is great too (I assume the new airport is as good!)

There was a time when Malev through Budapest was the way to go for anywhere in the region but no more alas.

Missed flight and the security situation just took if off my radar. I took plenty of flights with tight connections, in one door, up the stairs and at new gate in five minutes. The multi floor lounge was great too.

Will look at Turkish again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Missed flight and the security situation just took if off my radar. I took plenty of flights with tight connections, in one door, up the stairs and at new gate in five minutes. The multi floor lounge was great too.

Will look at Turkish again.

You land domestic arrivals in Gatwick no where to go to transfer so upstairs and through security. Could be fine but book on one ticket to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Check out premier inn at tower bridge

There’s a new one at Borough High Street too which is even handier for many locations and for transport options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

there's one in kings cross as well which is incredibly handy for London, and it's a great area (granary square and coal drop yard) for food, drinks, a wander

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Off to London in a few weeks and looking for things to do outside the usuals which I've already done. Any suggestions or recommendations? Was thinking of a boat trip down the Thames or along those lines.

Also any good sites for discounts in London, is Groupon still the main one or something else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You could get the boat to Greenwich park, see the Royal Observatory finish with a meal and a film at the O2.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Off to London in a few weeks and looking for things to do outside the usuals which I've already done. Any suggestions or recommendations? Was thinking of a boat trip down the Thames or along those lines.

Also any good sites for discounts in London, is Groupon still the main one or something else?

You can take the boat from richmond all the way out to hampton court (Takes about 2 hours). if it's nice weather it's a lovely day out, and hampton court is stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

The Barbican Centre is a favourite of mine; exhibitions, music performances in all genres, open days in the big conservatory, with teas available (tropical plants - nice and warm!); interesting, rarely-shown old movies in the friendly little cinema, etc. Very pleasant place to wander round, nice atmosphere. (The foyer there is my favourite when I'm in the area and in need of refreshments).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Visiting London in a few weeks, years since there, some questions...

Use AIB Debit card or get a Revolut card?
    Is AIB Debit Card "free" on contactless for London transport?

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

BowWow wrote: »
    Visiting London in a few weeks, years since there, some questions...

Use AIB Debit card or get a Revolut card?
    Is AIB Debit Card "free" on contactless for London transport?

Thanks..

Always used my AIB debit card on the Bus, tube and ferries without issues, it's only EUR to Sterling so you're not gonna get hammered with charges.

I'd only get a revolut card for international travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jackboy

Heading to a spurs match in April and plan to overnight around London Fields. Looking for hotel and pub recommendations.

Hotel needs to be reasonably cheap and close to nightlife.

Pub should have a good choice of beers, relaxed with no loud music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

jackboy wrote: »
    Heading to a spurs match in April and plan to overnight around London Fields. Looking for hotel and pub recommendations.

Hotel needs to be reasonably cheap and close to nightlife.

Pub should have a good choice of beers, relaxed with no loud music.

You could try the Craft Beer Co. in Covent Garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

I had a trip booked, and return ticket from Luton on the 10th March.Last flight to Dublin .Have had a bot of a health scare and need to attend an appointment on the 9th so a bit stupid I know but was panicking, I just bought another ticket. Which leaves a ticket spare and probably would have cost more to change the flight than to buy a new one, What can I do woth it, nothing I suppose, just am annoyed that they are getting my dosh twice :)

All you have to do is pay the name change, but I didn't think about it at the time.
    if anyone wants it, pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

A flight from Luton on the 10th March is €5.87 on ryanair at the moment

a name change is about 100e or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

A flight from Luton on the 10th March is €5.87 on ryanair at the moment

a name change is about 100e or so?

It's 35 euro. I paid for the last flight including priority and the two bags. I'm not using it, if someone wants it and wants to saves a tenner, they are welcome to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Hi all,

I've been seeking an answer online, but I can't find the precise solution.

I'm going to London next week.

One journey will require three legs:

1. Heathrow Connect from T5 to Heathrow Central (T2/T3)

2. TFL Rail from Heathrow Central to Ealing Broadway.

3. Tube from Ealing Broadway to North Acton.

I have an Oyster card from years ago and I know that all methods of transport mention above will accept them.

My question is - how many times should I be tapping... and when?

If I exit the Underground through a swipe barrier, am I required to tag onto the TFL Rail?

What if there's no physical barriers between modes of transport and I can stroll from train to train?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to avoid penalty fares for missed tagging.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been seeking an answer online, but I can't find the precise solution.

I'm going to London next week.

One journey will require three legs:

1. Heathrow Connect from T5 to Heathrow Central (T2/T3)

2. TFL Rail from Heathrow Central to Ealing Broadway.

3. Tube from Ealing Broadway to North Acton.

I have an Oyster card from years ago and I know that all methods of transport mention above will accept them.

My question is - how many times should I be tapping... and when?

If I exit the Underground through a swipe barrier, am I required to tag onto the TFL Rail?

What if there's no physical barriers between modes of transport and I can stroll from train to train?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to avoid penalty fares for missed tagging.

just tap where required, there is a daily cap on costs, shouldnt cost much on the tube with oyster

in some instances its cheaper to use a revolut or other contactless card rather than Oytser (irish banks may charge for the coversion thought)

Heathrow to North Acton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

just tap where required, there is a daily cap on costs, shouldnt cost much on the tube with oyster

in some instances its cheaper to use a revolut or other contactless card rather than Oytser (irish banks may charge for the coversion thought)

Heathrow to North Acton

Thanks!

If there is no physical barrier on the second leg, but there is a tapping device beside its platform.... should I tap again or just hop on?

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Thanks!

If there is no physical barrier on the second leg, but there is a tapping device beside its platform.... should I tap again or just hop on?

i always just tap when starting and ending the journey unless its required to do so for changing lines etc.

its 4 times cheaper to go via tube insted of TFL rail, takes 8 minutes longer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They use debit cards, no need for the Oyster card. Just tap when you get to a turnstile

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    They use debit cards, no need for the Oyster card. Just tap when you get to a turnstile

yeah but an irish debit card can work out more expensive wiht non euro fees

Advertisement