Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ger canning.

Options
  • 08-02-2020 9:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

I often read that people do not like Ger Canning as a commentator. He doesn’t really bother me.

What do people generally have against it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭megadodge

It's pretty obvious he doesn't like what he watches. He often finds it hard to conceal.

After 30+ years in the job he still doesn't know some of the basic rules of the games he commentates on.

And his poxy artificial accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I don't like his lattitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Marty and Ger are poor.

Darragh Maloney beats both hands down all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Frequently gets the players names wrong. Frequently gets refereeing decisions wrong. For someone so long in the game, the level of incompetence is staggering. Ger should **** off and let someone who gives a **** have a go. There’s plenty of guys out there who’d do a far better job for far less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lundstram wrote: »

He often causes consternation.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Really like Canning.. Think he is good. Too much hate around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Lundstram wrote: »

"Latitude”

To younger readers, and not Old Timers like myself, latitude refers to a music festival that apparently takes place in England every summer. To people of my vintage, latitude and longitude refer to geographic co-ordinates that specifies the north-south position of a point on the earth’s surface (and thanks to Wikipedia for that definition)

But to Ger it means something entirely different. To Ger, whenever any player is given a sufficiently large area to run into he’s been given plenty of “latitude”. Now in one way you have to admire the audacity of a man who is not willing to take the easy option of saying “He’s got loads of space”. In another way, you can’t help but think… well, in some circumstances, it’s better to take the easy option. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFdFrnT97fI

:D

https://sportstalk.ie/8-biggest-ger-canning-commentary-cliches-mark-townsend/

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

The worst of a hopelessly bad lot is boring Ger. Nearly every local radio sports team has better than him and Marty .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

thesultan wrote: »
    Really like Canning.. Think he is good. Too much hate around

No one "hates" him. Don't exaggerate. We just think he's shyte as his job. It's not a crime to think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

The way he says Dublin 'Doblin' irritates me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Ger > Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Quiet like Ger and his Montenotte accent. Hes more professional than Marty. I think he actually dislikes Gaelic Football so hes done well to make a career out of GAA when 50% of the time hes commentating on a game that's beneath him. Also hes about the only commentator that you can put doing soccer or rugby aswell. Darragh Moloney is the same. Poor auld Marty and his scripted intros ...my word you gotta laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭supernova5

Quite frankly Canning does my head in,
    as a game enters its concluding stages he never fails to utter the words " Who's going to win it"

what a ridiculous statement, this guy needs to be offloaded asap as he is beyond boring and predictable

corny wrote: »
    The way he says Dublin 'Doblin' irritates me.

And he puts it over the "bor"....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I often read that people do not like Ger Canning as a commentator. He doesn’t really bother me.

What do people generally have against it?

Same as that myself. could be worst if pauric lodge got the gig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I like his voice, it is better than listening to Thomas Kane on BBC NI, he is too well spoken. I liked Jimmy Smyth and also Jimmy Magee along with Ger Houlahan on UTV but that was a short lived set up.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=igZRLbC5mXo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Marty is absolutely hopeless. Canning not too far behind.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Same as that myself. could be worst if pauric lodge got the gig.

Pauric Lodge may not set the world on fire, but he is a lot more alert than Canning is and rarely gets things wrong or confused to the degree that Canning does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Quiet like Ger and his Montenotte accent. Hes more professional than Marty. I think he actually dislikes Gaelic Football so hes done well to make a career out of GAA when 50% of the time hes commentating on a game that's beneath him. Also hes about the only commentator that you can put doing soccer or rugby aswell. Darragh Moloney is the same. Poor auld Marty and his scripted intros ...my word you gotta laugh.

Ger is very versatile, you can add hockey and basketball (where I thought he was excellent) to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭megadodge

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ger is very versatile, you can add hockey and basketball (where I thought he was excellent) to the list.

Yeah, I suppose that's fair - he's equally clueless on any sport !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Ger likes a "hugh one" as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Ger should move aside and let someone new make their 'dayboo'

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

As well as all the above, it's the language he uses, an intervention, what is that, he's totally non GAA and hasn't a clue.

Typical RTE, any auld ****e will do us, keep paying the licence.

Advertisement