Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ye Olde Watch Giveaway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Cienciano wrote: »
    Isis members will be turning up thanking the post

Well no one seems to want this one so they would be in with a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

Wibbs wrote: »
    I reckon keep it random and I'll keep an eye out for anyone who might be chancing their arm.

Keep an eye out for Barack Obama....he probably lost his one from his college days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Right, time to try this again. I've a classic Casio F-91W boxed that has never seen any wrist time. There's no point in hanging onto it so here we are.

Birneybau had the good idea of saying if you want to be in the draw then thank the post. To be eligible you need to have had at least 10 posts in the forum that go back a while. This is to deter users who just want a free watch and haven't contributed anything to the forum. To also combat some of the silliness which was going on I'm going to revert back to a 'regular posters vote' scenario when we know who wants the watch. That means the regulars of the forum can vote for someone who genuinely deserves to get a watch.

A week from today I'll tally who's interested and the names will go into a randomizer to pick a luck recipient.

Right, the names went into a Randomizer and the name kicked out was........ SmartinMartin. Send me on a PM chief and I'll get this out in the post to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

https://youtu.be/kOzNsQyamvk

Thanks KH, PM on the way.

Thanks KH, nice to meet you. So that's two firsts for me today, met my first boardsie and got my first ever purely digital watch.

IMG-20200205-233303.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

Good one
    Thanks KH, nice to meet you. So that's two firsts for me today, met my first boardsie and got my first ever purely digital watch.

IMG-20200205-233303.jpg

Great one!!
    Birneybau wrote: »
    Wow, right...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It was an absolute pleasure, you're a lovely chap so I'm delighted where it's ended up. Hopefully I haven't put you off meeting other Boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nice one Kintarō, great to see the watch being used rather than sitting in a drawer gathering dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

ptacasio.gif

(Another favorite film of mine :D)

Great watch, fair play Kintarō, and enjoy it Smartin.

• Advertisement

[img][/img]

Casios really bring me back in time as it was my first digital watch, close to 40 years ago now.

Your watch is "posh" with the water resistance feature :P

Well ware ;)

OK, as promised earlier I'm putting up for grabs my Timex Expedition chrono with indiglo. Bought last year, worn twice, it's a big handsome watch but for some unfathomable reason I don't get on with it. I'll throw in a matching nato with it. I'm pretty sure I have the box and receipt too. As per new rules, like the post to be in the draw. Wibbs will hopefully monitor. I'll let it run til 9pm next Saturday.

IMG-20200208-183621.jpg

IMG-20200208-183659.jpg

IMG-20200208-183602.jpg

Let the games begin!

I've throw my name in if that's OK but I don't have anything to donate in the short term :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm interested in the Timex.

The watches people offer up. Do they have to be fully working, with straps etc. I've a couple with no batteries, straps, that have no value, but someone might want them, they'll get dumped otherwise.

I'm sure if someone is getting a watch they can stretch to put in a battery!!!! I'm not fully sure of the rules for giving though!

Penelope and beauf, sorry but you do not qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

beauf actually does with 41 posts! Watches and timepices doesn't show in post history up as he as so many posts in other forums!

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=&forum=1175&user=644236&date_from=&date_to=

Ryath wrote: »
    beauf actually does with 41 posts! Watches and timepices doesn't show in post history up as he as so many posts in other forums!

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=&forum=1175&user=644236&date_from=&date_to=

Good to know, thanks R. Sorry beauf, thank the post if you want in.

(think I'll leave it to Wibbs now)

Of course, I do know that its 10 posts and to be honest I am not looking to enter at the moment!

Well why did thank the post then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Having had digital watches for decades, more than i care to remember ive recently reverted back to what my wife refers to as a manly watch.
    These latest fads of watches having to be charged every other day just doesn't appeal to me.
    My wife bought me a Seiko chronograph quartz watch with a silicon strap. Delighted with it, initially looked huge and heavy but really happy with it and have received a few compliments in the office :).
    Fair play to the donors in this thread, a lovely gesture in this day and age.

I just thought that it was a nice watch and a nice thing to offer it.
    I am not saying I will never enter. I do think it is fine to thank a post as I never knew there was a rule not to thank!
    Well why did thank the post then?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

secman wrote: »
    These latest fads of watches having to be charged every other day just doesn't appeal to me.

The latest fad? Automatic watches were there long before battery watches. And you don't need to charge them every other day. Just wear them ;)

Thanking is entering, just for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm not being belligerent here, but you could have just said nothing and not put the 2 people you called out into the draw. I'm actually going to retract my thanks on your post

Do what you want, doesn't affect my day. I already admitted my innocence in the ways of the watch forum and decided to leave it to a higher power.
    BTW penelope, wasn't having a go at you personally, just mindful of the new criteria, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I like the Timex, please put my name in the draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

secman wrote: »
    Having had digital watches for decades, more than i care to remember ive recently reverted back to what my wife refers to as a manly watch.

I use a digital for work. I use the alarms and countdown a bit. But otherwise I prefer a analogue watch face. I find it's easier to read at a glance. Someone was saying to be that later generations will find digital easier to read. But I disagree. It's about UI/UX design not generational. I had digital watches as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Lovly looking watch Smartinmartin and best wishes to the lucky winner.

• Advertisement

Yes, looking at it now it is a lovely piece and I wondered for a minute why I'm giving it away, but I simply cannot take to it and I don't know quite why, so I'm happy to let someone appreciate it.

Advertisement