Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mount Sion - Did you go between 1973 - 1980?

• 08-02-2020 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Reason I ask is that whilst living with my grandparents in Griffith place I used to go to Mount Sion primary school for a few years then transferred to St Declans, those early primary school years in Mount Sion were terrific mainly because of one particular Christian brother...I think his name was Brother Minouge....I can't be 100% sure but he was brilliant.

He taught us chess and to this day I still play the game, badly, and love it.

Also on a Saturday morning we would meet on our bikes outside the school on Barrack street and spend the day cycling. Clearly remember all of us heading to the Comeragh mountains and up to Lake Coumshingaun for s picnic. Another time to Lord Waterford estate near Portlaw.

Brilliant brilliant days

Does anyone reading this remember this Christian brother and care to share stories

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I remember Br Killian in DLS, he was a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I remember Br. Murphy back in the sixties, sigh suas ar mó chus a buachaill mháith.Brings tears to my eyes.

Br Gerard /Fergus Dunne in DLS, another prick who quit the Brothers because he couldn't manage the smarter kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Lads was on about a decent Christian brother in Mount Sion who actually cared about the kids and that teaching could be outside the classroom too...Saturday cycles to Comeragh etc

vriesmays wrote: »
    Br Gerard /Fergus Dunne in DLS, another prick who quit the Brothers because he couldn't manage the smarter kids.

Was he Economics teacher - he left to get married?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Was he Economics teacher - he left to get married?
    Good for him if he did, instead of being a frustrated xxxx.

Fergus Dunne is still a frustrated xxxx. He's been hassling former pupils for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Fergus Dunne is still a frustrated xxxx. He's been hassling former pupils for years.

Now we starting to see the reason for your Waterford hatred quiet fella

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

I remember Br Killian in DLS, he was a prick.

Took an instant dislike to him in the 1st ever french class in 1st year, wasn't proven wrong. As a result I hated french and never did particularly well in it.

Lads on about a decent Christian brother teacher in Mount Sion!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I went to primary school there during that time and dont remember him at all

shockwave wrote: »
    I went to primary school there during that time and dont remember him at all

Cant remember if that his name, just a name that sticks in my head. Nonetheless there was a Christian brother who was fantastic

Was it Brother Con Desmond.

Was it Brother Con Desmond.

Doesn't sound like him, name doesn't ring a bell no pun intended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Br Hans Moleman

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Br. Todd Unctious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Br Windy Shepherdhenderson