Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I made an app to find running events in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Was just about to say it would be great to be able to integrate with calendars. However I just noticed that if you click on the calendar on the event info page, you get the option to add it to calendar. Maybe it's just me, but it's not obvious that you can click that icon to add to calendar. Could the calendar icon be colour coded or something to make it clear it's clickable?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭SocialSpud

Was just about to say it would be great to be able to integrate with calendars. However I just noticed that if you click on the calendar on the event info page, you get the option to add it to calendar. Maybe it's just me, but it's not obvious that you can click that icon to add to calendar. Could the calendar icon be colour coded or something to make it clear it's clickable?

Yea you know what I have a menu option on the top right which has that there as well but nobody seems to know about it. I only added it when you click on the date itself as a secondary feature. I think it's time to change the date/time to look more "clickable". Also, if you tap on the address it will open in maps as well, same as if you tap on the map itself lower down.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Just spotted this and downloaded it. Really great idea and easy to use. Will keep it. Thanks very much.

My suggestion for one that is missing is the Gap of Dunloe 10k and half marathon on February 23rd in Killarney.

Just added the Gap of Dunloe Half Marathon & 10K if you want to have a look at make sure the details look ok. Could only find previous results for the half marathon.

2 10ks in Mayo in April are Kilmovee 10k on Sat 11 and Run for Boylo in Foxford on the 26th

Thanks. Not too much information on those 2 events just yet so I'll hold off until there is. If you see more info in the meantime just pop a message on here thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Just downloaded it there. Looks really good, very slick. Might be able to give some feedback when I get to use it properly but well done! Can definitely see myself using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Fair play, app looks great. Downloaded and shared with others

Just downloaded it there. Looks really good, very slick. Might be able to give some feedback when I get to use it properly but well done! Can definitely see myself using it.

Excellent thanks. Hope to add a good few more events over the weekend as well!

sheriff2 wrote: »
    Fair play, app looks great. Downloaded and shared with others

Brilliant thanks. It all helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭joe35

I'd be interested in finding any cross country events on in the North East. Would I find these events on this app?

joe35 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in finding any cross country events on in the North East. Would I find these events on this app?

I haven't come across any on websites I get my info from so if you know of ant feel free to send them on!

• Advertisement

Thanks socialspud, this is the one that Rob Kearney is promoting. It's his grandfathers cup.
    https://www.facebook.com/100007459513520/posts/2548023245456301/?sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=e

Don't know how to post the link but it's Glenmore AC promoting it. It's on Facebook and register at myrunresults

joe35 wrote: »
    Thanks socialspud, this is the one that Rob Kearney is promoting. It's his grandfathers cup.
    https://www.facebook.com/100007459513520/posts/2548023245456301/?sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=e

Don't know how to post the link but it's Glenmore AC promoting it. It's on Facebook and register at myrunresults

Thanks for that. That link doesn't seem to work but if you find another one where I can get some information from feel free to send it on!

Just made some updates to the app based on feedback from this thread:

* Added a "Suggest an Edit" option to the "more" menu when viewing an event's details.

* You can now submit events via Settings -> Contact Us -> Submit an event. Which then brings you to this Google Form. So you can also just click on this the link on your laptop as well if you'd rather.

* Made event date within the details screen look more "clickable" to make it more obvious that tapping it will prompt you to add the event to your calendar.

The update is now live on the play store if you want to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

Great app. I've just shared it with my running group.

One thing I noticed as a heads up is the Lough Boora half date is March 29th on the official website but the app has it as early April.

Dev1234 wrote: »
    Great app. I've just shared it with my running group.

One thing I noticed as a heads up is the Lough Boora half date is March 29th on the official website but the app has it as early April.

Excellent thanks for that, it must have changed. I added a "Suggest an edit" option to the event details page now so people like yourself can let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

SocialSpud wrote: »
    Just made some updates to the app based on feedback from this thread:

* Added a "Suggest an Edit" option has now been added to the "more" menu when viewing an event's details.

* You can now submit events via Settings -> Contact Us -> Submit an event. Which then brings you to this Google Form. So you can use the link above on your laptop as well of you'd rather.

* Made event date within the details screen look more "clickable" to make it more obvious that tapping it will prompt you to add the event to your calendar.

The update is now live on the play store if you want to try it out.

Great stuff. Dates being clickable is much more obvious.

Great stuff. Dates being clickable is much more obvious.

Yea for sure, thanks for highlighting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Hi SocialSpud - thanks for setting up the app. Great resource.

Ive just sent a request to a 10m race local to me if you wouldnt mind adding it to the event calendar - https://www.runireland.com/events/ballyhaunis-10-mile-run/
    Cheers and best of luck with Ruco

• Advertisement

Fowler87 wrote: »

Ive just sent a request to a 10m race local to me if you wouldnt mind adding it to the event calendar - https://www.runireland.com/events/ballyhaunis-10-mile-run/

Great thanks for submitting it! Do you know if there's any more info on it like route/prizes etc. Or is this just a "save the date"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Great thanks for submitting it! Do you know if there's any more info on it like route/prizes etc. Or is this just a "save the date"?

It was on last year for the first time. Same route. Race report from last year:
    https://www.mayoac.com/run-west-ballyhaunis-10-mile-results/

Results from last year
    https://www.mayoac.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/BallyhaunisOverallResults.pdf

Route from Strava (not mine)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2420102140

Edit:
    I've added a few events via the form which you've all added to the app - thanks.
    If you create another option in the Google Form for adding Previous Results and a place where we can upload an image or link to the cover image it will mean you don't have to use a generic image. Let us know the image size required if it has to be a certain size / shape.

Dudda wrote: »
    It was on last year for the first time. Same route. Race report from last year:
    https://www.mayoac.com/run-west-ballyhaunis-10-mile-results/

Results from last year
    https://www.mayoac.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/BallyhaunisOverallResults.pdf

Route from Strava (not mine)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2420102140

Edit:
    I've added a few events via the form which you've all added to the app - thanks.
    If you create another option in the Google Form for adding Previous Results and a place where we can upload an image or link to the cover image it will mean you don't have to use a generic image. Let us know the image size required if it has to be a certain size / shape.

Yea thanks for submitting those. I actually already added those 2 extra fields over the weekend so people can fill them if they can. Image URL will do the job because otherwise you'll have to sign in to upload and didn't want to force that on people. Any size really as the app will resize it, landscape usually looks better though.

Fowler87 wrote: »

Added that one cheers.

@SocialSpud I am on the app and about to register for a race. Do the race organizers have any way to know that I registered via your app.
    When I click join event it takes me to eventmaster.ie for registering.

@SocialSpud I am on the app and about to register for a race. Do the race organizers have any way to know that I registered via your app.
    When I click join event it takes me to eventmaster.ie for registering.

Hey, I'm afraid there is no real way for race organisers to know that. However, if you do end up registering and you see a "How did you hear about us" section, it would be great if you put "Ruco Running Events app" in there. Can I ask you...did you find the event you're about to register for through the app or where you already aware of it?

Hey, I'm afraid there is no real way for race organisers to know that. However, if you do end up registering and you see a "How did you hear about us" section, it would be great if you put "Ruco Running Events app" in there. Can I ask you...did you find the event you're about to register for through the app or where you already aware of it?

Found it through the app, its the Adamstown 10k.
    (I live in Adamstown and didnt know about it!!)

Found it through the app, its the Adamstown 10k.
    (I live in Adamstown and didnt know about it!!)

Well that's just great! Exactly the reason I made this app! Just make sure to spread the news with your fellow race participants :-) Good with with the race. Make sure to tag @RucoRunningEvents on Facebook or Instagram and let me know how you go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

You can add 'utm_source' and other info to the end of the links on in your app. If they use Google Analytics which a lot of websites do they'll see people coming from the app and whatever other info you chose to provide them.

I've only a rough idea of it and you'll have to google it for more info and how it works in detail but I know it can be done.

• Advertisement

Dudda wrote: »
    You can add 'utm_source' and other info to the end of the links on in your app. If they use Google Analytics which a lot of websites do they'll see people coming from the app and whatever other info you chose to provide them.

I've only a rough idea of it and you'll have to google it for more info and how it works in detail but I know it can be done.

Yea I know that Facebook do it if you click on a link, they add a parameter like "?fbclid=123123123" at the end. What I mean is that the organisers themselves don't know how to interpret this via platforms they use like PoupRaces, MyRunResults, njuko etc. I've contacted a few of them and them don't seem to know much about it and comes across as more of a hassle.

Advertisement