Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is it - Navan to Sandyford

• 07-02-2020 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Let’s say you have to be in Sandyford for 8am Monday to Friday... leaving from Navan, what time would you have to be on the road at. Would you get there if you left at 6.30?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Let’s say you have to be in Sandyford for 8am Monday to Friday... leaving from Navan, what time would you have to be on the road at. Would you get there if you left at 6.30?

I'd say no, not reliably. Leaving by 6.15 would be necessary to be in by 8 most days, and even then you'd be at the mercy of the idiots who like to have prangs and completely f-up the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I'd say no, not reliably. Leaving by 6.15 would be necessary to be in by 8 most days, and even then you'd be at the mercy of the idiots who like to have prangs and completely f-up the M50.

Thanks , feck that... I thought 6.30 would be plenty of time but 6.15 is just pushing it a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

When I worked in Sandyford we had people coming in from Arklow and Naas. They always tried to get in by 745 and out by 1645 to avoid traffic. If they didn’t do that they tried getting in by 1000 and leaving at 1900. But probably depends on when you can work etc. Obviously this will probably mean leaving earlier from Navan, but should be less traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

M3 Parkway and change at Broombridge would at least have some predictability

To answer the thread title - very.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Reati

ddarcy wrote: »
    When I worked in Sandyford we had people coming in from Arklow and Naas. They always tried to get in by 745 and out by 1645 to avoid traffic. If they didn’t do that they tried getting in by 1000 and leaving at 1900. But probably depends on when you can work etc. Obviously this will probably mean leaving earlier from Navan, but should be less traffic

Going south N11 is crazy these day, 16.45 is way to late these days. You need to be on road by 4 latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Google maps should be able to work that out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Reati wrote: »
    Going south N11 is crazy these day, 16.45 is way to late these days. You need to be on road by 4 latest.

It gets earlier every month. A nightmare..

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Leave at 6.15. If you finish work at 4.30, you are looking at coming back home at around 6.30 earliest. You'll be dying on the M50, watching idiots changing lanes and clogging the right one.

Google maps should be able to work that out for you.

Yeah I did. It says between 1.05 and 2 hours... was looking for something a bit more definite.

• Advertisement

haminka wrote: »
    Leave at 6.15. If you finish work at 4.30, you are looking at coming back home at around 6.30 earliest. You'll be dying on the M50, watching idiots changing lanes and clogging the right one.

Would it really be 2 hours if I left at 4.30??

I drove it the other day at 11am and it took 1 hour, does the traffic add another hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Yeah I did. It says between 1.05 and 2 hours... was looking for something a bit more definite.

There's no definite. Depends on the time and month. Easy during school holidays. Bad during the school year. Can be heavy on Thursdays and on Fridays, if you don't leave work at 3, you're stuck.
    Navan - Leopardstown 4 times a week. After some experience, Friday is reserved for home office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You face the worst of the M50 each way. There is always a crash or incident morning and evening. Sandyford is a pain in the hoop to get out of at the best of times ( I work in it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I drove it the other day at 11am and it took 1 hour, does the traffic add another hour?

Easily.

It will only be 1 hour at that time of day on weekends, bank holidays or the weekdays between christmas and new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Awful quality of life doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

Worth noting you'll probably have two tolls each way as well, or go via Dunshaughlin which will add more time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Awful quality of life doing that.

Yep. I worked in Sandyford, city centre, etc. for years. Now I'm 15 minutes from work I'd find it hard to ever go back. 20/30/40 minutes, not too bad. Any more and you'd want some money. Life in a car is no life!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Don't do it.

Don't do it.

Looks like the general consensus.... kind of what I thought but good to get it confirmed.

This is it wrote: »
    Worth noting you'll probably have two tolls each way as well, or go via Dunshaughlin which will add more time

Yeah I had considered the cost, I’d be willing to take the hit on that but the commute time is the big one for me.

• Advertisement

There’s a lot more to think about than what the ‘driving is bad, work 3 minutes from home’ brigade will tell you (I’m surprised you haven’t been told to cycle yet). Is it a job with good prospects for good money in future years? Could you work from home a couple of days a week after a while? What are the prospects near home?
    The whole big picture needs to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

The queue to get off at J14 in the mornings is painful, J13 is no better, often a car park between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

I hope this is a one off trip because if you thinking of making that trip every day, it would want to be the dream job with the salary increase to pay the car cost & whatever about the tolls the toll on you physically & mentally

There’s a lot more to think about than what the ‘driving is bad, work 3 minutes from home’ brigade will tell you (I’m surprised you haven’t been told to cycle yet). Is it a job with good prospects for good money in future years? Could you work from home a couple of days a week after a while? What are the prospects near home?
    The whole big picture needs to be considered.

Yeah that’s one side of it.... it’s a job that really appeals to me and the long term prospects from it could be really good.

However I have to be realistic, 4+ hours a day in a car is in no way justifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is there any direct bus from Navan to Sandyford? I guess not. Even with the Luas from the city centre it takes an age. Easily over two hours on public transport. Failure to develop an efficient public transport system just within Dublin costs is so much in lost opportunities and productivity

road_high wrote: »
    Is there any direct bus from Navan to Sandyford? I guess not. Even with the Luas from the city centre it takes an age. Easily over two hours on public transport. Failure to develop an efficient public transport system just within Dublin costs is so much in lost opportunities and productivity

Yeah it’s a joke, there is no train and just streams of traffic into town every morning. There’s not even a bus lane to cut through the m3 at Blanch.

Navan, as the largest commuter town after Swords has always been underfunded.

Advertisement