Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snugborough Interchange Upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's no scope really to make any part free flow, the closest being the slip onto the N3. There's simply too many roads intersecting. The other option is the expense of flyovers.

The new design will free up traffic coming from the sports campus direction as once the current bridge fills up with traffic it just backs everything up as there's nowhere to go and it blocks access to the N3 east bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I hope that all of these comments were put in submissions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

daymobrew wrote: »
    I hope that all of these comments were put in submissions!

Mine were and I know Roderic O'Gorman included some of our concerns in his as he sent me a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I also gave a submission, and the best thing indeed would be to look at some limited free flow and grade separation. It's a constrained space but not impossible. All road users would benefit from that, not so much from simply building another bridge and leaving poorly designed junctions in situ.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a car turn from Main Street left onto snugborough road, away from the bridge. Yet there's a long filter lane for the purpose. I'd sooner they just got rid of the left turn there but at Christmas it would cause problems.. it's an awkward junction for sure, 90s planning at its finest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

1 exit lane at the bottom of Waterville is nuts. Traffic will always back up over the bridge and apathy toward yellow boxes will mean nobody will get out. Thus also blocking traffic trying to get to the N3. Exiting via the northern end would probably only work if you had traffic lights. Then you've two sets within 30 yards of each other. They would never be able to sequence those up.

Traffic backs up over the bridge going up the Snugbrough road because those pedestrian lights are too near the roundabout and then coming the other direction because of the volume of traffic around going toward the Blanchardstown center in the evening. There probably should be two lanes all the way down the hill, one for the N3 and one the Blanch center. Then were do the busses go. But its not like cars aren't in that lane anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm not sure I've ever seen a car turn from Main Street left onto snugborough road, away from the bridge. Yet there's a long filter lane for the purpose. I'd sooner they just got rid of the left turn there but at Christmas it would cause problems.. it's an awkward junction for sure, 90s planning at its finest :(

Use that all the time, if the lights go red, rather than waiting four minutes for them to change, turn left up to Next and access the Centre that way, hundreds of cars every day doing just that.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Use that all the time, if the lights go red, rather than waiting four minutes for them to change, turn left up to Next and access the Centre that way, hundreds of cars every day doing just that.
    I'm not saying it's not done, sure I've done that myself, but I've never seen anyone else doing it and I'd doubt hundreds of cars do it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I'm not saying it's not done, sure I've done that myself, but I've never seen anyone else doing it and I'd doubt hundreds of cars do it every day.

Given that I've seen multiple cars do it in a stream over the course of < 1 minute, it's frankly not that hard to believe....

cython wrote: »
    Given that I've seen multiple cars do it in a stream over the course of < 1 minute, it's frankly not that hard to believe....
    Sure, my choice whether I believe it or not though. It's not so relevant a point anyway. What would be nice are actual AADT studies to show what movements go where. Some datata to back up whatever the council is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I do it...I live in Waterville and much easier to come home from my parents that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Bump.
    Noticed a fence put up in the Topaz car park this week looks like the site has been divided, I'm presuming from a compulsory purchase. Does anyone know if the plans for the junction have been finalised?

Cui bono?

If I understand the Fingal website correctly, they're awaiting a final vote by the council itself.

Does anyone else have more info?

Cheers Lucernian, where did you see that on the site? When I searched I only got the original plans. I want to see if they have made any changes following the submissions.

Cui bono?

Got an update from a local councillor recently. The works are due to begin in late 2018. There will be a right turn on to the Snugborough Road from Waterville where the roundabout is now.

Cui bono?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Link H E R E !?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭frankyboy1986

Any update on this scheme?

I notice trees are being removed from along the side of the bridge and im wondering if this has something to do with the project

I notice trees are being removed from along the side of the bridge and im wondering if this has something to do with the project
    The removal of trees is part of flood defence works.
    Councillor Tania Doyle posted the following in a Facebook group recently:
    River Tolka Flood Defence Works

Following a Condition Report for the River Tolka Flood Defence Works, the Office of Public Works (OPW) has recommended, as a matter of priority, the removal of the vegetation growing on two locations of the flood defences embankment. Engineers from the OPW are concerned that the growth on the embankment could have a significant effect on the structural strength and integrity of the earth embankment and they have recommended the removal of all vegetation. The work will consist of the removal of all vegetation on the embankment at two locations.It is expected that works will take approximately 8-10 working days (including 2 weekends).

Operations will have to be undertaken at night under lights with works commencing on site on the 8th February 2019.

My understanding is that the scale and type of works are essential works so as to ensure the embankment prevents flooding of the N3.

Site 1 is an area approximatively 300 metres in length along the N3, adjacent to the Snugborough Rd.

Site 2 is a 450 metre earth embankment enclosing Westpoint Business Park.

Once the works have been completed, I have confirmed with Officials that an inspection and assessment with regards to future planting will take place at the locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

daymobrew wrote: »
    The removal of trees is part of flood defence works.
    Councillor Tania Doyle posted the following in a Facebook group recently:

I though tree roots assisted in the prevention of landslides.

Phil.x wrote: »
    I though tree roots assisted in the prevention of landslides.
    So did I. I know that grass on sand dunes keeps them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭raheny red

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/1225087029492572160?s=09

Has anyone see these plans or got an up to date link handy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

Nice one. Mods feel free to delete and merge threads, ta.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭StoptheClocks

I used the underpass today. I see they have cut down a lot of trees.

I used the underpass today. I see they have cut down a lot of trees.

I just seen that there, looks completely different now. It's going to be a nightmare for the folks who have bought the new builds right beside it.

They are only looking for tenders now? I thought they were due to start already but were held up by the virus. By the time this is done they'll have to widen it again....

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    They are only looking for tenders now? I thought they were due to start already but were held up by the virus. By the time this is done they'll have to widen it again....

Tenders out now. Work starts q3 of 2020 and is going to take approx 24 months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Polar101

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Tenders out now. Work starts q3 of 2020 and is going to take approx 24 months

It says "tenderer will be appointed in Q3", sounds to me construction won't start any time soon.

So this might be ready around Christmastime 2022, maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I know it will be worth it in the end but I'm dreading this. Lockdown followed by two years of disruption. Our beautiful park has already been ruined with the water plant construction, now more fun for Waterville residents.

Advertisement