Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kirk Douglas 1916 - 2020

• 06-02-2020 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

A legend has passed.

spartacus%2Bkirk%2Bface.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Appeared in some really great films, Paths of Glory is still one of my favourite (anti) war films. How he didn't win an Oscar during his career is a strange one, maybe he ruffled the wrong feathers.

True Legend. RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He won the Academy Honorary Award for 1995 (along with animator legend Chuck Jones), buy yeah it's an unfortunate oversight - the list of the ignored is quite impressive so he was in good company.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭MfMan

An icon. Harks back to the days of the great Hollywood studios. Never afraid to try something different or out of the mainstream.
    Trivia question; which of his films was his own personal favourite?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kirk Douglas dies at 103, lived a long life, what an age

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm Spartacus.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

One of Hollywood's greatest actors and the man who broke the Blacklist. A rare breed, an actor who was willing to work with Kubrick twice! A genuine legend in a time when that word is abused daily.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    One of Hollywood's greatest actors and the man who broke the Blacklist. A rare breed, an actor who was willing to work with Kubrick twice! A genuine legend in a time when that word is abused daily.

Described him as a 'talented sh*t' !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

When I was 17 in 1991 I read his autobiography The Ragman's Son. Remember thinking how old he was at the time and how he would soon be gone. Almost was as he was in a helicopter crash around that time also and lucky to survive. How he dealt with his stroke a few years later was inspirational.

As for movies. There Was a Crooked Man will always have a special place in my heart as our first ever VCR (which my Dad bought at a Garda auction in 1984) came with three VHS tapes. The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, Outland and There Was a Crooked Man.

One thing that stuck out from the Ragman's Son was how much he wanted to play RP McMurphy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. He had played the lead on Broadway, bought the film rights to the book, and then spent almost a decade trying to get it made but couldn't for one reason or another. When he felt he was too old to play the role he sold the rights to Michael who of course then went on to win an Oscar for producing it a couple of years later. Hard to know what he would have been like in it had he managed to have got it made in the 60's, but sure would have liked to seen him in it on Broadway that's for sure. How epic that would have been.

Anyway, a screen legend if ever there was one. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

An icon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

Im too young perhaps, I havent seen any of his films, but now Im curious.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Heard this this morning. Must say I'm shocked. Didn't know he had been ill. Loved the movie Tough guys. A real icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

The worlds a hella of a different place since 1916, guy lived a life RIP.

Fun Fact:Kirk Douglas was older then JFK.

General Scott: I asked you a question -- do you know who Judas was?!
    Colonel Casey: Yes, I know who Judas was. He was a man I worked for and admired until he disgraced the four stars on his uniform.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

103(4) years old; that's some innings, but I hope at least they were lucid and functional in the latter ones.

A giant of old school Hollywood. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

The world sheds a tear

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Here's a brief clip of him talking about One Flew Over ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He was a brilliant actor, RIP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 18,891 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Just heard this now and I only watched 'There was a Crooked Man' the other night too and thought it grand he was still going.

103 though. Not too bad at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement