Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AGS Roscommon confiscsating unliscensed firearms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Irish logic at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This is why 15A(5) was and remains such a horrible section of law. Once your application has been considered for more than 90 days and you've heard nothing, no matter what the Garda Superintendent tells you...
    (5) For the purposes of this section—
    (a) an issuing person—
    (i) who is required under section 3(9), 4A(7) or 10(4F) to decide on an application within a specified period, and
    (ii) who does not so decide,
    is deemed to have decided to refuse to grant the application,

(b) the applicant is deemed to have received notice of the decision on the expiration of that period, and

(c) as the case may be, section 3(10) does not apply in relation to the application.
    3(10) Where the application is refused, the applicant shall be informed in writing of the refusal and the reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

A bit of common courtesy would stop it all. A simple letter from the supers office saying that the application has been refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

3(10) Where the application is refused, the applicant shall be informed in writing of the refusal and the reason for it.

Kind of contradicts the other parts of the act.

(c) as the case may be, section 3(10) does not apply in relation to the application.

So where does it apply??? "We refused your renewal as we sat on it for 90 days,and now we are informing you that you have been refused in writing with our reasons.And in not informing you,we gave you no chance to correct any reasons we might have refused you!" So there!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

(Gardaí based in the western region warned the public that more such days are in the pipeline, encouraging gun owners to get active with renewals ) The way I read it is they never applied for their renewals,if that is the case, then they were genuinely holding Un licensed firearms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I know the vast majority of us renew when the form lands in the post, I recall talking to my local Sgt a few years back and he was saying he was going around the local firearms holders who had not submitted their renewals to ask them to submit so he could get them processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

marlin vs wrote: »
    (Gardaí based in the western region warned the public that more such days are in the pipeline, encouraging gun owners to get active with renewals ) The way I read it is they never applied for their renewals,if that is the case, then they were genuinely holding Un licensed firearms.

Your version above is probably what happened. If they didn't bother their holes renewing their licences (e.g more than 6 months out of date), then I've no problem with the Garda activity here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't think its a case of An Gardaí waiting outside people's home the day after the license expires. Had a similar experience recently (short story, and easily resolved) and its 8 months since my license expired.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I know our local Sargent wouldn't let it go too long before he'd give you a call.
    "Licence it, or hand it in" would be his words ( perhaps a bit less polite than that).
    Someone must have been asleep at the switch, or there was a vacancy in the relevant station, to have so many people who hadn't renewed or be followed up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

They lost my renuals the last time as they were left in a locker or so I was told.
    There were a number of weeks before the first and last was received by me.
    Although in fairness to the FO I was told there would be no issues for me due to the delays

• Advertisement

Oh Dear...Leaving your extremely confidential information in a locker??? Contary to ALL practises and procedures of handling confidential personal information as set out by the Data Protection acts,and Data Protection Comissioners office??And clearly admitting to you such a breach?? Im sure our revelant Data protection officals might like to hear about this...If your liscense isnt in your hands within the next like ..WEEK!!!.You might mention the afore points to them next time round,or if there are any further delays,to prevent any further "losses" of your confidential information??:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Your version above is probably what happened. If they didn't bother their holes renewing their licences (e.g more than 6 months out of date), then I've no problem with the Garda activity here.

Indeed,if you have been acting a complete DICK about this , well no problem.But I wonder are these guns taken off people like widows,who might have zero clue about liscensing,and were holding onto it as the departed husband used to liscense it?Or aul fellahs gone into retirement and incapable of shooting anymore? By the looks of them[guns],they werent any people with a serious intrest in looking after their equipment,or flying a MOLON LABE flag to incite AGS to come and take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

marlin vs wrote: »
    ... The way I read it is they never applied for their renewals,if that is the case, then they were genuinely holding Un licensed firearms.

I read the article the same way...

Looked to me like the lads were trying to dodge paying their tax (oh, eh, sorry... their "licence fee") and the Gardai got pi$$ed off with them, so took action.

Granted, Grizz may have hit the nail on the head in a few of the cases, with regards to the guns being keepsakes from late family members etc. But 10 guns, and the Gardai knew about all of them being unlicenced, then swooped on all those poor little old ladies at once? That seems a stretch tbh.

The real shame here, is that the article isn't about ten illegal high calibre pistols having been seized from known criminals though.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement